First motor bike dilema

Soldato
Basically got my CBT next week ive decided when i pass that im gonna get my bike. The thing is im planning on doing my direct access after i pass my CBT so that entitles me to a big bike as soon as i pass that.
Thing is ive been really recommended by 4 out of 5 bike trainers to go get a 125cc bike first and get some road experience.
Im more than happy to do as im in no rush but theres a honda hornet taunting me:p anyway the 125cc bike ive chosen is a Honda 125cc XR.

So anyway this will be my first bike which one should i pick:
Honda 125cc XR
Honda 600cc Hornet

Im leaning towards getting the 125cc and in a couple years at most ill get my dream bike the Hornet.

it depends entirely on how sensible you are. whats to stop you getting an XR125 now whilst you're doing Direct Access and then trade it in for a hornet?

best of both worlds then. road experience and a hornet. you can ride up to a 12bhp 125 on a CBT can't you? not sure if an XR is over 12bhp but consider getting a CG125 at least. doesnt matter it you do something stupid and drop it.

anyways regardless of what route you take you'll only ever go as quick as your right hand lets you so if you have a sensible head you'll be fine. if not you'll end up like me.

Associate
my dream bike the Hornet.

How do you know it's your dream bike if you've never ridden one? :confused:

Do your DAS and test ride a shed load of bikes and buy whatever you like most. Most of my mates who've done their bike test are exactly like you, they want a certain bike and that spurs them into doing their test.... and in most cases they didn't end up with the bike that motivated them to do it :p

The crappy winter weather is coming anyway, so you can afford to spend a few months demoing bikes and really find out if the Hornet is your "dream bike" or not... buy next spring and you'll have even more money in the bank (for either a really decent Hornet or something else entirely). Go to the NEC bike show and sit on everything you possibly can as well :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye - buy a ZX-10R. It'll be much more entertaining for you..........:rolleyes:

No no you silly, silly boy.

He buys a sports middleweight, or a roadster with some real torque and power.

I dont see how anyone gets any kicks out of the softly suspended sub 100bhp detuned budget middleweights which make less torque than an FS1E, but weigh as much as a bus.

But I suppose if tootling along with the traffic is your thing great!

Associate
How have you ridden it if you don't have a license yet? If you've ridden it around a car-park (or been pillion) then no offence but you have not the slightest feel for or idea about the bike.

The first big bike you swing your leg over always seems utterly amazing ;)

Soldato
I have with my trainer, ive been on an 125cc XR and another 125cc (forget the name) and then ive i had 3 or 4 hours on a hornet....it gave me the horn.
But ANY bike +250cc is going to give you the 'horn' over a 125.

I think it would be a good plan to try other bikes, you don't want to regret your choice once you know a bit more about bikes. Not saying a hornet is a bad bike but when I was young I had my heart set on a RD350, but ultimately it wasn't the right bike for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know for a fact If I didnt have the VFR Iwouldnt be going for a 125cc due to the fact of always wanting to strangle it, WHen I had the 150CC moto X it just didnt hit the spot was always trying to kill it just to get anywhere

Get a Hornet get experience Just dont be a fool remember when you pass you are restricted to 6 penalty points in2 years and if you have a full 12 free points on a car it also drops back to 6 for 2 years thats whats making me realise I have to behave

Associate
I am also looking to go for the CBT and DAS (although not until early next year).

While I have been looking around at various sites I have seen a number of places suggest the middle ground, instead of just choosing 125cc or 600+cc. The most popular suggestions for starter bikes seem to be the Ninja 250R and the GS500. They also seem to be fairly close to your price range (looking on Autotrader).

Whatever you end up choosing I would be interested to hear how it goes, as it may help me decide what to get when I pass ;)

Mr-Xoc

Last edited:
Associate
Just dont be a fool remember when you pass you are restricted to 6 penalty points in2 years and if you have a full 12 free points on a car it also drops back to 6 for 2 years thats whats making me realise I have to behave

I know this is off topic, but didn't this come up in another thread recently, and the consensus wasn't clear either way. I am under the impression that the two-year-6-point limit only applies from when you get your first licence, not any subsequent licences. Not saying that's an excuse to hoon around on public roads though.

The most popular suggestions for starter bikes seem to be the Ninja 250R and the GS500.

I wouldn't get a GS500. You can get a 600 for very similar money which will be better in every respect.

Soldato
I know this is off topic, but didn't this come up in another thread recently, and the consensus wasn't clear either way. I am under the impression that the two-year-6-point limit only applies from when you get your first licence, not any subsequent licences. Not saying that's an excuse to hoon around on public roads though

You now have me thinking lol.

Will ask when I phone the Driving school on monday.

Associate
I wouldn't bother with the 125. As soon as you have your test you'll want to go for a bigger one! If you're doing DAS then just get it as soon as possible.

I passed my test in June, going to buy a bike in the next few months. Trying to decide between an SV650 or a GSX650F :)

Man of Honour
Don't touch a 125. et something like a 400/600cc bandit if you are worried and just take it easy. remember %n cars you have 4 tyres and so when you lose grip 95% of the time you can recover, on a bike it's the otherway a round.
A 125 you will get bored of an and annoyed within a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom