First PC build - My Basket (let me know what you think)

Associate
Hi all,

I have been getting advice and pointers in another thread, about how to spec up my first ever PC build. It will be a gaming/Photoshop machine, but within a budget. lower the better.

Below is the build I've come up with based on recommendations (and the fact the MoBo bundle comes with 3 free AAA games).

Let me know what you think.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,145.57 (includes shipping: £11.70)

I'm thinking about this as a case....

Total: £135.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
Crucial MX300 525GB would save £40. Or get the Samsung 500GB elsewhere. OcUK price a bit silly just now. Their price for the 250GB is okay.

Soldato
Hi all,

I have been getting advice and pointers in another thread, about how to spec up my first ever PC build. It will be a gaming/Photoshop machine, but within a budget. lower the better.

Below is the build I've come up with based on recommendations (and the fact the MoBo bundle comes with 3 free AAA games).

Total: £135.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

I would swap the motherboard to the Asus B350-F Strix as it is an ATX rather than mATX. It will look better in an ATX case.

For the psu I would suggest the Seasonic Focus Gold. A really solid unit with a 10 year warranty.

I would go with the Cryorig H7 over the BeQuiet. A lot of BeQuiet coolers are awkward to install. Don't forget the AM4 bracket.

Corsair have an updated version of the Air 540 in the Air 740 if you haven't seen it.

Total: £146.69 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Associate
Hi all,

Total: £135.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Total: £1,158.07 (includes shipping: £13.20)

• Don't need that CPU cooler if you're getting Ryzen 1600.

• If you get that Samsung SSD buy it elsewhere as you get free Assassins Creed: Origins that way:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/offer/assassinscreedorigin/?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000758
You can see that Overclockers isn't one of the participating retailers.

• Have changed GPU slightly. This one is cheaper, but has a longer warranty and UK RMA centre.

• Increased PSU wattage and efficiency - allows for future GPU upgrades.

Associate
OP
All great ideas. I wasn't too sure if the stock CPU cooler with the Ryzen was good or not.

Here is another attempt. I've added a start point for water cooling (as some time down the road, I'd like to attempt it)

Total: £1,220.57 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Associate
All great ideas. I wasn't too sure if the stock CPU cooler with the Ryzen was good or not.

Here is another attempt. I've added a start point for water cooling (as some time down the road, I'd like to attempt it)

Total: £1,220.57 (includes shipping: £11.70)
Apart from looking cool and being expensive, you don't need to watercool a 1600.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't use parts with copper with that watercooling kit so a bit restrictive. You're better off using the stock cooler for now and if you ever want to custom watercool, buy what you need then. Case missing from spec, and you have 2 SSDs.

Associate
OP
Okay. Just fancied a cool looking water cooled build :p. But I will attempt that way in the future. For now.... Unless I am missing something, I think I have a good spec build at a much better price than I imagined.

The case ISN'T included, as someone else is offering to buy that for my birthday this month. No need for a monitor yet, and I can get Windows elsewhere.
Am I missing something? It seems too low?

Total: £981.59 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Associate
Okay. Just fancied a cool looking water cooled build :p. But I will attempt that way in the future. For now.... Unless I am missing something, I think I have a good spec build at a much better price than I imagined.

The case ISN'T included, as someone else is offering to buy that for my birthday this month. No need for a monitor yet, and I can get Windows elsewhere.
Am I missing something? It seems too low?

Total: £981.59 (includes shipping: £11.70)
Don't get that PSU, get a better one. Get the PSU (or better) + GPU I linked in my above build.

Soldato
Looks fine and 450W more than enough for that CPU and GTX 1060. However as was said, 550/650W better for GPU upgrades. If you can afford a nice one like a Seasonic Focus Gold then great, and ten year warranty to boot.

Associate
OP
Right, Ill add the Seasonic Plus. I keep getting recommended that PSU. So I'll chose that one.
Other than that, Monitor is sorted and case is sorted. Just need to source Windows 10!

Soldato
Right, Ill add the Seasonic Plus. I keep getting recommended that PSU. So I'll chose that one.
Other than that, Monitor is sorted and case is sorted. Just need to source Windows 10!

You can use Windows 10 for free to start with if you don't want to pay out £100+ or buy a product key for it. The downside is you can't personalise it and you eventually get a watermark in the bottom right corner.

Associate
OP
You can use Windows 10 for free to start with if you don't want to pay out £100+ or buy a product key for it. The downside is you can't personalise it and you eventually get a watermark in the bottom right corner.
Well..... I'm not really fussed about customising it. As long as I can play games on the PC then I don't mind. (I'll eventually buy it. But no too concerned yet)

Associate
OP
Soldato
Should be beastly ! Get some pics up when it's ordered and done :D

Then we can judge cable management ;) haha

Enjoy your first build, I out my CPU the wrong way around in my first attempt and many others hahah

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Should be beastly ! Get some pics up when it's ordered and done :D

Then we can judge cable management ;) haha

Enjoy your first build, I out my CPU the wrong way around in my first attempt and many others hahah

I'm a part time photographer (second job) so there will be amble pictures! Probably too many!
My cable management will be shocking I bet, thinking about ordering some green sleeved cables too!

No doubt, I will end up with the cpu on the outside, the MoBo upside down and the wrong way round, and the GPU fitted into one of the drive bays :p

Back
Top Bottom