First time build 1.5K ish

Associate
Hoping you experts can help me with my first build?

I use my current laptop for browsing, storing films and gaming. Games I play are varied, for e.g. Hunter Call Of The Wild, Red Dead Redemption 2, Battlefield, Subnautica, Long Dark, Assassins Creed.
I also use it for Dj'ing with Serato (not sure if this matters...)

When gaming, my laptop has recently been showing it's limitations.
Current Laptop:
Dell Inspiron 7000
Intel Core I7-7700HQ
16GB Ram
256 SSD Plus 1TB HDD
NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI 4GB Graphics

I already have keyboard, mouse, monitor.
Monitor:
AOC CQ32G1 2560x1440 144hz
A may upgrade this to a 4K monitor in future.

Basically, I want my new build to knock spots off the laptop for gaming.
I would want to be playing a range of games in Ultra settings for a few years to come.
I'm happy to upgrade bits in future, so as 'future proof' as possible would be good.

I would like a lot of hard disk space for films/games (around 10 TB+)
I'd rather not have a flashy case, something stylish and not full of lights would be best.
I would need windows too, and as it's my first time building a pc, please pick parts that will fit together!

The 1.5K budget is flexible, but i think 2K should be top end. If my expectations are unrealistic, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!!

Soldato
Hoping you experts can help me with my first build?

I use my current laptop for browsing, storing films and gaming. Games I play are varied, for e.g. Hunter Call Of The Wild, Red Dead Redemption 2, Battlefield, Subnautica, Long Dark, Assassins Creed.
I also use it for Dj'ing with Serato (not sure if this matters...)

When gaming, my laptop has recently been showing it's limitations.
Current Laptop:
Dell Inspiron 7000
Intel Core I7-7700HQ
16GB Ram
256 SSD Plus 1TB HDD
NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI 4GB Graphics

I already have keyboard, mouse, monitor.
Monitor:
AOC CQ32G1 2560x1440 144hz
A may upgrade this to a 4K monitor in future.

Basically, I want my new build to knock spots off the laptop for gaming.
I would want to be playing a range of games in Ultra settings for a few years to come.
I'm happy to upgrade bits in future, so as 'future proof' as possible would be good.

I would like a lot of hard disk space for films/games (around 10 TB+)
I'd rather not have a flashy case, something stylish and not full of lights would be best.
I would need windows too, and as it's my first time building a pc, please pick parts that will fit together!

The 1.5K budget is flexible, but i think 2K should be top end. If my expectations are unrealistic, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!!
Maybe budget for 10TB (really?) HDD and see whats left. That 1050ti will be blitzed by anything 2060+, but if you want to go 4K solid its 3080/6800 territory, if you can get one.

Associate
OP
Forget the 10TB hard drive if that's going to eat into the budget.
I can use external drives for storage, but something internal that is large enough for storing several games at once would be good (2TB?)

Associate
▷ AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core 4.7GHz (Socket A… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £379.99
▷ Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 Pulse 16GB GDDR6 PCI-… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £719.99
▷ Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus (AMD AM4) B550 ATX … | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £149.99
▷ Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-2… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)£139.99
▷ Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh performance Midi-Towe… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £81.95
▷ Corsair RM Series RM750 750W '80 Plus Gold' M… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)£104.99
▷ WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Sol… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £94.99
▷ WD Gold 10TB 3.5" 7200RPM 256MB Cache Datacen… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £289.99
▷ be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler - 120mm | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) £39.95

Total

That ten terabytes really pushes up the budget. This has 11 terabytes.

Glass sides, good airflow, no RGB. Case with solid CPU cooler.

Latest AMD GPU 6800 are very pricy right now, 8 core and 16 thread CPU, 32 Gig of fast 3600 MHz RAM, no RGB, solid motherboard (no wi-fi)Gold rated 750 watt PSU with 10 year warranty, NVME storage for fast gaming and operating system.

Note, I have not done RAID for the 10 TB hard drive, just too damn expensive. But I suggest you have some sort of back-up for most treasured films etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the build suggestions.
Liking the 2001.83 option for the extra space, both suggest the same graphics card and processor, which is reassuring too.
I guess the 1TB SSD should be where I install games to for speed right?
Also, maybe a silly question, but is there any risk of the cases not fitting the parts? I have seen the 6800 is pretty big and smaller cases might not work.

Associate
Thanks for the build suggestions.
Liking the 2001.83 option for the extra space, both suggest the same graphics card and processor, which is reassuring too.
I guess the 1TB SSD should be where I install games to for speed right?
Also, maybe a silly question, but is there any risk of the cases not fitting the parts? I have seen the 6800 is pretty big and smaller cases might not work.

Yes, that's right. Games will fly on it.

However, the graphics card has now sold out. If you look there are similar ones around but not for that price.

Matching case for the CPU cooler, in stock. RGB on it. But no need to plug it in.

▷ be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ARGB Midi Tower Cas… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

Case is ATX and has following dimensions.

450 x 232 x 443

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes, that's right. Games will fly on it.

However, the graphics card has now sold out. If you look there are similar ones around but not for that price.

Matching case for the CPU cooler, in stock. RGB on it. But no need to plug it in.

▷ be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ARGB Midi Tower Cas… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

Case is ATX and has following dimensions.

450 x 232 x 443

Thanks, I have had a look but only found 2 6800 in stock, an Asus one for 870 and an Asrock for 830... tempted to buy the Asrock now before it gets sold out like everything else, then shop for the other bits in due course (even though the Asrock is over 100 quid more than the Sapphire, and I'm thinking they must be pretty much the same thing).

I'm not in a huge rush, maybe better to wait for a few weeks and see if new stock comes in?

Associate
Thanks, I have had a look but only found 2 6800 in stock, an Asus one for 870 and an Asrock for 830... tempted to buy the Asrock now before it gets sold out like everything else, then shop for the other bits in due course (even though the Asrock is over 100 quid more than the Sapphire, and I'm thinking they must be pretty much the same thing).

I'm not in a huge rush, maybe better to wait for a few weeks and see if new stock comes in?

Yes, I would wait. Either some 3070's will come in or a cheaper 6800. £830.00 is a crazy price for a card that should go for lots less.

Associate
OP
Damn... I literally just bought the more expensive one out of the two...
The Asrock went up to 840 while I was looking, and I preferred the looks of the Asus so took the plunge while I could.

Looks like this PC is going to cost a bit more than I expected, but hey ho i'm not spending much on other things at the moment.

I'll be shopping for the other bits shortly, looks like some of the items you recommended are now out of stock now too though!

Associate
OP
I click that link but still shows out of stock? Oh well, no point crying over spilt milk, I bought the other one now anyway.

The power supply and HDD you recommended are out of stock, so I swapped HDD to same make, but the 6TB version (saves a bit of cash and still gives me 7TB total)

Ive chose a new power supply and case:
Power supply: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-rog-strix-750w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-05c-as.html
Case: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ower-case-black-tempered-glass-ca-05g-as.html

Hoping a few Asus bits in the Asus case will make building a bit easier for my first attempt.

Any concerns with that before I take the next plunge? (thanks again for help so far)

Associate
I click that link but still shows out of stock? Oh well, no point crying over spilt milk, I bought the other one now anyway.

The power supply and HDD you recommended are out of stock, so I swapped HDD to same make, but the 6TB version (saves a bit of cash and still gives me 7TB total)

Power supply: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-rog-strix-750w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-05c-as.html
Case: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ower-case-black-tempered-glass-ca-05g-as.html

Hoping a few Asus bits in the Asus case will make building a bit easier for my first attempt.

Any concerns with that before I take the next plunge? (thanks again for help so far)

PSU is popular. Not seen any bad reviews.

In regards to the case, it is expensive for a Midi tower. Asus themed though. Nor seen any reviews. You can get really well reviewed midi cases for less. Same with PSU.

Soldato

The Seasonic Focus GX-750 is cheaper. The Asus unit is actually made by Seasonic and uses the same platform, so you are basically paying more for the Asus name.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £123.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
OP
The Seasonic Focus GX-750 is cheaper. The Asus unit is actually made by Seasonic and uses the same platform, so you are basically paying more for the Asus name.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £123.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Took your advise and went with this instead...
All parts hopefully ordered now so fingers crossed this goes well when I get all the bits and try putting them together.
Thanks for the help chaps!

Back
Top Bottom