First time rider bike recommendations/advice

Soldato
OP
Fairy's muff, each to their own. Good luck, look forward to seeing the results!

It's all just research atm anyway. Taster lesson booked 31st, CBT in for 7th (assuming I enjoy/they feel I am competent enough) then onto the "DAS" The place I'm using does it over the course of a few weeks to be better prepare.

Soldato
You might want to go and sit on a few and narrow down your list, knee cramps aren't fun...
Exactly this, at 6’3” and 100kg your options are limited.
Most of the 600 sized machines will be too cramped - depends on you personally but I’m about as flexible as a glass rod.
I’m the same size as you and went for a BMW GS. Mines the old R1150 and yes it scared me to death at first.
I would suggest something less powerful and lighter to start with.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I may be blessed, most tall people are lanky. I have small a legs at only 32” (which is quite short for someone my height) so I’m hoping I can fit on a lot more than the usual 6’ 3” person.

Soldato
OP
Thought I'd post an udpate in here. Done my taster session on Thursday, CBT now booked in for this wednesday too.

Was a very fun little hour in a car park practice slow speed control then just shifting through gears. Guy was confident I would have no troubles on Wednesday for the CBT

Associate
Thought I'd post an udpate in here. Done my taster session on Thursday, CBT now booked in for this wednesday too.

Was a very fun little hour in a car park practice slow speed control then just shifting through gears. Guy was confident I would have no troubles on Wednesday for the CBT
Glad you enjoyed it!

I don't know if its the same for you but my CBT involved half an hour or so riding round a GoKart track going over the basics, then out onto the roads for a bit learning junctions etc. A short ride round town and that was essentially it.

I still haven't bought a bike since passing my DAS test :( We're moving down south in November so looking at buying down there. Saves moving 2 cars and a bike :cry:

Associate
CBT complete.

Was so much fun just to be riding a little 125 for a few hours. Booked in for lessons next month to start the path to a full license!
Congrats!

Like Captain said... Get that Theory test done, It's good for 2 years once completed so plenty of time to get your confidence up.

Soldato
OP
Congrats!

Like Captain said... Get that Theory test done, It's good for 2 years once completed so plenty of time to get your confidence up.
Get your Theory done and out the way. You need it to start DAS training.

Tis next on my list to get practicing for and booked in on. Any recommednations for websites/apps to practice on?

When I done my car theory almost a decade ago I forgot about the hazard perception part so didn't practice that bit at all and still passed first time :D

Associate
With 10 years of driving under your belt the hazard perception should be more or less common sense as you know what to look out for.

As for online/apps, I just googled Motorcycle Theory Test practice and tried a couple until i found one that I liked. Cant remember for the life of me now what site it was though.

Associate
If you have an IPad get the theory test app has both car and bike. It’s £4.99 and it’s great. Also available on Androi. Helped me pass my theory when I had to redo my motorbike test again after being a knobhead and losing license Back in 2016.

Associate
Exactly this, at 6’3” and 100kg your options are limited.
Most of the 600 sized machines will be too cramped - depends on you personally but I’m about as flexible as a glass rod.
I’m the same size as you and went for a BMW GS. Mines the old R1150 and yes it scared me to death at first.
I would suggest something less powerful and lighter to start with.
The OP should get Goldwing. Problems sorted. On a serious note you cannot beat a Street Triple imho.

Soldato
The OP should get Goldwing. Problems sorted. On a serious note you cannot beat a Street Triple imho.
Totally missing the point.
A tenere 700 would make more sense for a tall rider than a goldwing.
It’s the distance between the foot pegs and the seat that matter.
A street triple looks like a toy next to an ADV bike.

http://cycle-ergo.com/ is a good place to start.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom