First time visit to a Michelin starred restaurant

• Thread starter Deleted member 11679
  • Start date

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

We are visiting London in August and are thinking of trying something we've never done before...and that is eat at a Michelin starred restaurant.

I wondered which ones others have been to and would recommend (I expect the list will be long)? Food wise, we are open to most things, however we're not overly fussed with excessively spicy.

I've been looking around the Internet and there are various offers as well. So although it will be an extravagant meal I don't think it will cost the earth. We'd be eating on a Sunday as that's when it fits with our weekend. Also, neither of us drink especially.

Also, any general tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Man of Honour
our favourite http://www.latrompette.co.uk, beating some of the other more famous, far more expensive places. The atmosphere and service is amazing. on top of that its extremely well priced, 3 courses for £55.

and if you talk to and say you are open to anything, the sommelier there is just sublime. So tehy might find some stuff you like, if that's your normal issue.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Probably aim for a tasting menu would be my suggestion if this is your first visit. Most Michelin starred restaurants will offer one and it gives you the opportunity to try multiple dishes. I would also suggest a wine tasting menu if offered, where typically they will match the wine to the dish but if you are not drinkers this might be wasted on you and also might not be on offer. I would also suggest you don't focus on cost as it will make the whole event less memorable. This is an expensive way to dine, I have spent many hundreds on these sort of meals (per meal) and it rarely works out cheap if they are starred restaurants especially in London where demand is always high.

Man of Honour
Two that I use when I want to push the boat out, (anniversary, wife's birthday etc), are Sauterelle, Bank Junction, EC2, in the City, and Coq d'Argent, 1 Poultry, at Bank also, I marginally prefer Sauterelle.
A word to the wise, Coq d'Argent is pronounced ko darzhon.
I once got in a taxi in Tooley St., Bermondsey, and asked for Coq d'Argent at the Bank, and the driver said, "Think you mean kok darzhon pal."
I said that he was wrong, it was ko darzhon, he said, "What about kok o van, (Coq au vin?")
I tried to explain that Coq au vin was pronounced that way because the Q was followed by a vowel, A, but that as the Q in Coq d'Argent was followed by a consonant, D, it was pronounced ko, but he thought that I was nuts, I'm not, I just speak quite reasonable French.
Further advice, visit OpenTable online, they often have discounts at good London restaurants.

Caporegime
seems to be a popular choice too for young bankers who want to commit suicide by throwing themselves from the terrace :(

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
Thanks for the advice so far, very helpful. I'll check out those restaurants that have been recommended and look to get something booked in the next week.

Caporegime
Coq'D'Argent isn't too bad, fairly casual for what it is and decently priced too.

I once went to Hibiscus on Maddox street with a client, a meal for two came up just shy of £500 and was a complete waste of time / money. It was so pretentious we almost felt like we were intruding, the chef thought the sun shined out of his arse and whilst I appreciate good service, the waiter wouldn't stop trying to upsell which got extremely irritating after little while.

Associate
Some fantastic 1 Michelin star restaurants to try in London, and they can be very reasonably priced with their set menu, but I'd always recommend the tasting menu for the proper experience.

Pollen Street Social
Clove Club
Dabbous
Hedone
Pied a Terre
Seven Park Place
Murano

2 stars is a step up, but so is the price usually.

Man of Honour
I've been lucky enough to have been to several in London as I love the experience. I don't like those that take themselves too seriously however despite being a Frenchman I like a more casual dining environment but just good food.

Lol @ the pea sized portions.

I can assure you that a tasting menu of say 12 dishes will leave you well and truly satisfied. The food is rich, complex and evocative, and is an experience. You're not there to stuff your gills. If you want that go to an all you can eat buffet place.

What sort of food are you into?

Man of Honour
I've tried 3 of them, 2 mentioned in this thread and my experience was similar to Diddums above and this was regardless of amount paid which varied a lot between the 3.
then they must be epically bad, should try some more.
they do not leave you hungry, as said they are rich and complex. Put it this way i can easily eat a large domino and sides in a single sitting and do not come away hungry from these places. A good meal should leave you satisfied and content, neither hungry or in pain due to the amount.

However just having a Michelin star does not guarantee greatness. Benares (Atul Kocchar) was one of the most expensive I've been to, the atmosphere sucked, the service sucked and while the food was tasty, they made plenty of basic mistakes even a keen home cook wouldn't. On top of that the wine flight was half a sip per course and costed over £100.

Smaller restaurants generally have better atmosphere and better service, than the large tv celebrity ones.

Man of Honour
Just stick to the tasting menu and wine fight and you can't go wrong.

Bord'eau in Amsterdam was ridiculous. Very very expensive, thoroughly bombastic and absolutely delicious. We were there for about 4 and a half hours. It's not something I'd want to do more than once every few years, mind - keep it special.

Back
Top Bottom