Fish Box

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Has anyone used a fish supplier such as fish box, maybe a box every 2 weeks or something, pros and cons that sort of thing ?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Took the plunge,

A little expensive in overall, but just getting a variety of different fish that is actually fresh and vac packed means it keeps well and freezes brilliantly. Bought a secondhand copy of the river cottage fish book from the forest for £4 to go along side it.

My crispy skin on fish technique is getting better all the time :)

Soldato
Prefer to go to the market.
See what im buying, see what's on offer that day/hour.
Talk to the fishmonger about different stuff i haven't tried.
And most importantly haggle for deals.

Soldato
so which company did you go with ? ... I had specced out https://www.regalfish.co.uk/seafood
but the logistics of getting the delivery and the expense, put me off, but,
I can well believe they have a shorter supply line, than Waitrose which is my only local alternative.
... a no deal brexit might help fix the uk fish supply though , if they can't send it to europe

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
went with https://www.fishbox.co.uk/

The fishmonger in Derby is pretty bad tbh, always the same so its ... COD, Haddock, Mussels, Tuna, Salmon (with or without manky sauce) the odd Mackerel, frozen red snapper and thats about it i did enquire and everything else doesn't sell apparently. Morrisons is the same.

Transportation and the big hunk of polystyrene and cold pack it arrives in, but the fish i am getting is different every 2 weeks more or less its really really nice & fresh.

Soldato
their site seems to obfuscate the actual weight of fish you get with each box ..... take a picture for us on next delivery
albeit market places different values on different type ... but I'm much more of mind, if its fresh then I'd have hake versus older cod/haddock.

if they optionally deliver some of the types that normally go to europe, and are potentially cheaper too, that is great.
Used to eat grilled red snapper , usually available in Southern France Carrefours
... like here https://www.kingcrab.co.uk/acatalog/Fresh-Wild-Redfish-Fillets--1kg-191.html,

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
The fish is about 110-125g a little stingy tbh but good portion control. I have no idea what is going to turn every 2 weeks. But so far its been

Hake ( yeah this was really really nice)
Ling
Pollack
Mackeral fresh and smoked
Whiting
Cod
Cod cheeks (if you ever see these buy them amazing)
Salmon fresh and smoked
Coley
King scallops
Queen scallops
Torbay sole
Mussels (never enough of these things i could eat them every day)

Its a great diet tbh, really simple cooking as fish takes 15mins tops depending on what method i use.

Soldato
The fish is about 110-125g
sounds fine - with good quality fish you learn to cook it so it doesn't shrivel up to nothing, buying tasty 'organic' salmon taught me that.

They need to send a heads-up, on what's been dispatched, so you can plan your menu ... moules mariniere and scallops, first, I guess.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Yes shellfish first, freeze a few bits, as its vac packed it freezes really well. Made a very nice mussels with gin and tonic though :)

Soldato
Love mussels, butter, garlic, shallots, cream and white wine.
Just before serving a handful of parsley.
Eat with lots of bread.

Works well with cider instead of wine as well.

Last edited:
Associate
I did use some fish suppliers for a long time but then with time I switched to Caviar. Don't get me wrong, fish is brilliant but with Caviar I think I found my nack. When it all comes down to it the content of mineral substances of Caviar is much higher than in fish meat. Significant amounts contain phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, calcium, selenium, as well as zinc, iron and iodine, omega-3, fatty acids and other trace elements. Plus, the main factor is the unique taste that is something I will never forget. You can check out https://osetrus.com/page/contacts and maybe see where they are stationed. I am in the U.K so this is where I get my orders from, which might I add comes relatively fast. Still, it's something to consider, figured I would share.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
I love seafood (obviously) but cavier is something i can never get on with. On the flip side i couldn't tell you if the cavier i tried was good quality.

Soldato
Load of rubbish. Caviar and chips, caviar pie, caviar finger butty. It's not a replacement for fish. Lol

At the minute i can't get enough of proper manx kippers.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Forgot to take a pic this box,

New to the mix

Abroath Smokies
Turbot
Samphire (I used to pick this as a kid, too much makes you sick :) )

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Very much so, enjoyable cooking it and eating it.

Also feel healthier from it as well which was also a driver for the idea.

Soldato
I'm trying to increase the fish i eat, so much so that prawns have now replaced chicken as my go to protein for curries.

Soldato
do prawns have same nutritional benefits as fish ?

I specifically avoid prawns unless you know they are fresh, and have not toured the world for processing, but if you know your market store, ok.
also not sure how many are farmed, since like farmed salmon, I can't believe their taste wouldn't be impacted,
they've become a democratised food, racing for cheap production.

... would prefer your manx kippers

Soldato
do prawns have same nutritional benefits as fish ?

I specifically avoid prawns unless you know they are fresh, and have not toured the world for processing, but if you know your market store, ok.
also not sure how many are farmed, since like farmed salmon, I can't believe their taste wouldn't be impacted,
they've become a democratised food, racing for cheap production.

... would prefer your manx kippers

Manx kipper curry, hmm might be a step too far.

Back
Top Bottom