Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
Wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some basic setup guides and some general tips. My son is mad keen on fishing, he’s watched a few programs on tv etc, so I bought him a basic rod and reel and a few bits from go outdoors. We’ve been out to a couple of local lakes a few weeks back and a reservoir today but I don’t think we even got a nibble so we are doing some wrong I presume!

We’ve tried sweetcorn and bread at the lakes and I bought some glitter egg bait that we tried today that was well reviewed online as well as sweetcorn but still nothing.

I’d like to try and catch something before he gets totally sick but I don’t really know where to start!

Any help appreciated thanks.

Are you trying to catch Trout? What fish species are stocked at the places you have access to?

Soldato
One of the best YouTube channels is Graham Pullen's Totally Awesome Fishing. He covers freshwater, lake, boat and sea with lots of tips etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtElDjbNvNG9UkhC-T54HJA

I have to say I'm more a sea boat fisherman than a lake or river.

Thanks will have a look at his channel. A lot of the channels are American so not always relevant over here.

Are you trying to catch Trout? What fish species are stocked at the places you have access to?

It was trout in the reservoir yesterday, some people around us had some success so there was definitely fish in there! I should have probably just asked them what they were using and if they had any tips with hindsight! Not sure what was in the lakes to be honest, one is just a wild lake where we have seen people fishing and the other the centre/shop is shut due to COVID with an honesty box that we put the money into!

Soldato
First time I spotted this thread, Been fishing for a couple of years now. I got into it through a mate who has been fishing since he was a kid, finally wore me down to try it. So yeah I have come pretty late to it, but better late than never.

I started off borrowing most of my kit, getting a feel for things and learning the basics of course fishing. However, when I realised this was something that I really enjoyed I invested in all my own gear. I was happy to begin with, but found myself targeting bigger stuff as I got to grips with things.
This summer I decided to invest in a carp setup. I've been loving it so far, refining my rigs, working out what baits work and what dont, leading the ponds to work out best place to cast, feels like i'm playing a game of chess, proper tactical fishing.

Stuck in streak of mid doubles at the moment, cant seem to push the 16 mark, but that being said the places I've been fishing dont exactly hold huge fish. I'd love to break the 20 barrier this year, thats my main goal. but I'll be honest, as long as I continue to catch and refine my methods I'm happy.

TXBLszwl.jpg
Nothing record breaking but had this 13lbs common out yesterday. Actually the 2nd time this year its been in my net, had it out at the start of summer at a whisker over 12lbs, he's been munching since then!

Moving down South to Wiltshire middle of next year and cant wait, opens up so many options for fishing venues. Next summer should be epic!

Soldato
Wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some basic setup guides and some general tips. My son is mad keen on fishing, he’s watched a few programs on tv etc, so I bought him a basic rod and reel and a few bits from go outdoors. We’ve been out to a couple of local lakes a few weeks back and a reservoir today but I don’t think we even got a nibble so we are doing some wrong I presume!

We’ve tried sweetcorn and bread at the lakes and I bought some glitter egg bait that we tried today that was well reviewed online as well as sweetcorn but still nothing.

I’d like to try and catch something before he gets totally sick but I don’t really know where to start!

I'd suggest looking into Carl and Alex fishing and their fishing tutorial videos are invaluable, very very informative and the enthusiasm the lads have for fishing is genuinely infectious!

Carl and alex - https://www.youtube.com/user/CarlandAlexFishing
Fishing Tutorials - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2azWG-2YzlQvqSxIW8xI5g

Associate
I had a random day out yesterday at Redwood Lakes near Tollerton, York (not far from where I live).
First visit there, x6 lakes to choose from.
Only caught 7-8, nothing big - 4lb largest.

Will try it again.

Soldato
First time I spotted this thread, Been fishing for a couple of years now. I got into it through a mate who has been fishing since he was a kid, finally wore me down to try it. So yeah I have come pretty late to it, but better late than never.

I started off borrowing most of my kit, getting a feel for things and learning the basics of course fishing. However, when I realised this was something that I really enjoyed I invested in all my own gear. I was happy to begin with, but found myself targeting bigger stuff as I got to grips with things.
This summer I decided to invest in a carp setup. I've been loving it so far, refining my rigs, working out what baits work and what dont, leading the ponds to work out best place to cast, feels like i'm playing a game of chess, proper tactical fishing.

Stuck in streak of mid doubles at the moment, cant seem to push the 16 mark, but that being said the places I've been fishing dont exactly hold huge fish. I'd love to break the 20 barrier this year, thats my main goal. but I'll be honest, as long as I continue to catch and refine my methods I'm happy.

TXBLszwl.jpg
Nothing record breaking but had this 13lbs common out yesterday. Actually the 2nd time this year its been in my net, had it out at the start of summer at a whisker over 12lbs, he's been munching since then!

Moving down South to Wiltshire middle of next year and cant wait, opens up so many options for fishing venues. Next summer should be epic!

Have you tried surface fishing for carp yet?

It is definitely my favourite way of catching carp, caught my biggest fish using that method.

Soldato
Have you tried surface fishing for carp yet?

It is definitely my favourite way of catching carp, caught my biggest fish using that method.
I havnt yet, when I've been out conditions have never really been favourable, or when they might have been, the fish just wernt up in the water.
Would love to have a decent session to try out the Nash bolt machine I got recently. But cant see me having much opportunity over the remainder of the year, hopefully come early spring, I'll get the chance.

Soldato
Not tried the Nash Bolt Machine myself tbh, I always use the Drennan controllers.

If you consider adding a surface rod to your kit at some point in the future I can 100% recommend the ESP Floater Rod Mk2 (https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/RodsCarpRods/ESP-Floater-Rod-MK-2-250lb.htm).

Such a beautiful rod, like most of the Drennan/ESP rods.

Yeah, not been a great year for fishing, hoping to make up for it next year. :)

Soldato
Not tried the Nash Bolt Machine myself tbh, I always use the Drennan controllers.

If you consider adding a surface rod to your kit at some point in the future I can 100% recommend the ESP Floater Rod Mk2 (https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/RodsCarpRods/ESP-Floater-Rod-MK-2-250lb.htm).

Such a beautiful rod, like most of the Drennan/ESP rods.

Yeah, not been a great year for fishing, hoping to make up for it next year. :)
I'll look into it!

Yeah been a tough year, when we did eventually get access to the banks again the lakes were getting absolutely hammered, fish have been under so much pressure this summer. Now that the weather has started turning I've noticed the lakes have been so much quieter, I think the Covid fishers are starting to tale off. Dont get me wrong its great to see others enjoying fishing, but I wont be sad to see the banks a bit quieter.

Soldato
I'll look into it!

Yeah been a tough year, when we did eventually get access to the banks again the lakes were getting absolutely hammered, fish have been under so much pressure this summer. Now that the weather has started turning I've noticed the lakes have been so much quieter, I think the Covid fishers are starting to tale off. Dont get me wrong its great to see others enjoying fishing, but I wont be sad to see the banks a bit quieter.

I'm the same tbh, much prefer the peace and quiet. I can imagine some of the commercial lakes absolutely heaving when they opened it up again.

Hopefully I can get out and do a bit of winter roach fishing this year - not so many people prepared to venture out in the colder months.

Associate
Ponds / lakes around these parts have been absolutely battered as well.
Some of them with 'full' signs out by 8.30am.
Great to see more people fishing, but it has been way too busy for my liking.

Tempting me to drift back into a bit of river fishing tbh.

Soldato
Anybody getting the urge to get out fishing again.....I know I am lol.
Have booked sea fishing out of Whitby on the 27th March.....just hope Boris is nice tomorrow.
Absolutely, I havnt had a chance to since my last session at St John's at the start of December. Been way too busy at work, and when I have been free it's been frozen over.

Soldato
Got a couple of trips booked for the start of April. One lure fishing just off in shallow water, the other will be deeper stuff.

Soldato
I was out carp fishing last Sunday for a day session, first time out this year, great to be out on the bank again. Blanked hard! Literally seen one tail swirl and one fish in the margins all day, i felt like I had my rigs in the right place but they just weren't interested. Not a single fish came out of the lake that day.
Headed out again this weekend. Fully expecting to come up empty handed again, but happy to just get out there, got even less chance of catching if I don't have rigs in the water!

Permabanned

Online is going to be telling you reviews of bait/equipment you should never use. My advice is don't take advice from online from the likes of Youtube. Watch tv programs but the best advice I could give is go to the place you want to fish and watch the locals there for an hour or two. Have a walk around to see what they are doing.

You can never get advice online other than the pond you are fishing. Why you ask? Because every lake is different from methods to bait to pegs.

If you son must watch something online, watch "A passion for angling". :)

Back
Top Bottom