Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
First overnighter of the year done. 48hrs on the local that we have been working on the past couple of months. Broke my blank streak at last, first Carp of the year only a little one at a smidge over 8lb but still it felt good to have a bend in the rod again. Took to a 14mm Pineapple and N-Butyric popup fished over a bed of high leakage pineapple whole and crushed 15mm bollie. Carp in this lake are so aggressive when they get hooked, gave a decent fight for an 8lber, he had some serious energy in him, I've had 20lb+ that put up less of a fight.

GLaWr2dl.jpg

I wouldnt go as far as saying last 48hrs were a complete success, lots of trial and error, lots of experimentation with rigs baits and methods, lots of observing and probing around and an awful lot of staring at the rod pod wishing for something to scream off. However, it was a huge step in the right direction. Last 5 sessions have been frustrating to say the least, but after that session I feel like we've turned a corner, we learned a lot about the lake in the process, I feel confident next time we go we'll be right back on them.
Majority of the fish in that lake are ex match lake fish that have just grown to big for the match boys, they are wise, very easily spooked and dont get caught all that often anymore, not to mention that the lake holds a lot of natural food sources and nuisance fish, but I am greatly enjoying the challenge.

Soldato
Had around 10 silvers - was way too cold still.
I was freezing my nuts off with the wind in my face all day.....need a couple of weeks of warmer wetaher to bring them on fully.
It was so warm at the start of the week. They were feeding and moving about happily, we even had them feeding off the surface, stuck the bolt machine out for an hour almost had one, but I was distracted by a slurp right next to me, and missed the take. Weather has taken a bit of a cold turn though.

I was out again on Friday, but just for a day sesh on the feeder, just purchased a new feeder rod and reel, 11ft Preston ignition carp feeder running a 1oz tip, with a Daiwa GS3000 LT BR and couldnt wait to get it out on the lake. Decided a day on Brafferton was in order, if you aint catching there might as well just chuck your kit in the lake!:cry:
It was a busy day, nothing big 5lb max but it was just fun to play with a setup with such finesse again, so used to running borderline industrial size kit with the Carp setup. I did put out one Carp rod on a 15mm tigernut boillie in a solid bag incase one of the big ones decided it wanted to play but ended up taking it out the water again about an hour later because the Feeder was just too busy. Very productive session, fish were very very lively and feeding well, but then it is Brafferton, the lakes are heaving with stock and its always guarenteed a good bite. I almost forgot just how much fun playing fish on mega light kit was.

I think on reflection I'll stick the 2oz tip on and change the reel to the waggler rod, and then get the GS4000LTD when I can find stock, there are fish up to 20lb+ in there and if I had caught in to one of them it would have properly had my pants down. Its my first experience with Daiwa products, I can definitely understand the reputation they have earned, line lay and action is just so smooth and refined. Very impressed.

Associate
It was so warm at the start of the week. They were feeding and moving about happily, we even had them feeding off the surface, stuck the bolt machine out for an hour almost had one, but I was distracted by a slurp right next to me, and missed the take. Weather has taken a bit of a cold turn though.

I was out again on Friday, but just for a day sesh on the feeder, just purchased a new feeder rod and reel, 11ft Preston ignition carp feeder running a 1oz tip, with a Daiwa GS3000 LT BR and couldnt wait to get it out on the lake. Decided a day on Brafferton was in order, if you aint catching there might as well just chuck your kit in the lake!:cry:
It was a busy day, nothing big 5lb max but it was just fun to play with a setup with such finesse again, so used to running borderline industrial size kit with the Carp setup. I did put out one Carp rod on a 15mm tigernut boillie in a solid bag incase one of the big ones decided it wanted to play but ended up taking it out the water again about an hour later because the Feeder was just too busy. Very productive session, fish were very very lively and feeding well, but then it is Brafferton, the lakes are heaving with stock and its always guarenteed a good bite. I almost forgot just how much fun playing fish on mega light kit was.

I think on reflection I'll stick the 2oz tip on and change the reel to the waggler rod, and then get the GS4000LTD when I can find stock, there are fish up to 20lb+ in there and if I had caught in to one of them it would have properly had my pants down. Its my first experience with Daiwa products, I can definitely understand the reputation they have earned, line lay and action is just so smooth and refined. Very impressed.

Brafferton - are those the ponds out near Thornton Bridge, turn right before you get to the bridge?
I used to love fishing the Swale around there, back in my match fishing days as a teenager.

Soldato
Brafferton - are those the ponds out near Thornton Bridge, turn right before you get to the bridge?
I used to love fishing the Swale around there, back in my match fishing days as a teenager.
That's the very ones. Great little lakes if you want to just get out and smash it, very little challenge though almost feels like cheating.

I've not done much River fishing in my time. I keep meaning to get on the local ticket to fish the swale further up Catterick way (think its Richmond Angling Club hold the rights at the moment), apparently some decent fish hold up in the calm waters near the race course, seen some huge tail swirls there, whilst out cycling/running, not sure on species.
Very rarely see anyone fishing it though, which makes me a little bit dubious.

Soldato
I use Deeper Pro, both on the line and mounted to bait boat. Dont use it for the fish finder function used solely to map out swims/lakes, so much easier to quickly narrow down spots for leading.
Fish finder function I found to be a bit spotty, not very helpful, you do get an idea of fish in the area but you also got to remember you are chucking a great big orb into the water repeatedly, and it tends to spook fish and push them out of the area.
When using the Deeper we tend to limit it to either the very start of a session or very end, to limit the pressure on the fish.
To find fish I still prefer to use more traditional techniques, the Mk1 Eyeball.

Soldato
I do a lot of carp fishing, 2019 was pretty awesome but last year was pretty mixed, so many people due covid - and it being one of the few things people were allowed to do, even syndicates were really busy.

Even so, I still had a few decent fish out, a few to mid thirty, probably my fave capture from 2020 - nice dark Trent common from a big pit next to the Trent in nottinghamshire, 35lb9oz. Caught at long range (180 yards) one of three I had that weekend, I just remember this fish so well as it was one of the longest I've ever caught, I thought it was a 40 when I looked at it in the net!

6Ai8YCO.jpg

Associate
*raises hand *
Can't stand carp fishing haha will catch em if they're there but won't specifically target them, to sit there allll day in the same place for 1 fish no thanks :D
Bring on the 16th of June :cool:
Hoping to catch this little beauty again this year was near 2lb last time we met :D
amWohAY.jpg

Associate
*raises hand *
Can't stand carp fishing haha will catch em if they're there but won't specifically target them, to sit there allll day in the same place for 1 fish no thanks :D
Bring on the 16th of June :cool:
Hoping to catch this little beauty again this year was near 2lb last time we met :D

Lovely roach - decent roach seem to be in decline - when I used to river fish they were plentiful

Associate
Used them float fishing/and on rod tip night fishing
Could use them in daylight but would be pretty pointless lol
Only lures I've ever seen them used on are squid jigs

Back
Top Bottom