Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Permabanned
Was fishing yesterday - 2 and half hours on my local produced 2x micro keepnets of the following.

(There was another 3lb common to add to the photos but didn't manage to get a snap) was more interested in the baby carp.

Total weight was 47.15lb

oqmXFNS.jpg

ni74CQw.jpg

Soldato
Nice, got some hot weather ahead of us, get the dog biscuits out on the surface ;)

Man I tell you I love surface fishing, but the gulls… the ******** gulls. I remember back in the 90s and early 2000s it just wasn’t a problem, but now…

I might try what Dave Lane was doing on Kingsmead 1, he had a fake plastic seagull which floated, he cast it out like 15 yards into the lake, before putting any mixers out, and the gills were like “nop!”

Soldato
Just back after going out again today.

A number of small tope, a blonde ray and a thornback ray, a gurnard, and mackerel by the string load. Nothing bigger but lot of stolen bait including one we think was a conger that dropped the bait.

Masses of factor 50.

Soldato
Had one of the better fish out yesterday, fish called Jaws which normally does around 43-45lb, I had it at a spawned out weight of 37.3lb,

781-B1039-43-F2-4-F20-8-BAB-86-E87492-E8-D1.jpg

Soldato
Out on the boat (learnt this week matey has put down a deposit on a larger boat!) today..

Me:
* 1x Squid -> bait
* 3x Cuttlefish -> dropped
* 1x Octopus -> returned
* shedloads x Mackerel -> bait / returned
* 2x Gurnard -> returned
* 1x mini smooth hound pup -> returned

Him:
* shedloads x mackerel
* 2x cuttlefish
* 1x Bass
* 2x Gurnard
* 1x mini smooth hound pup

Most was caught on frozen squid, mackerel this morning caught a few things but a lot was being chewed by cuttlefish.

So a good and varied day out.

Associate
I usually prefer Daiwa rods but they can be pricey.
They do a lower cost range however you do get what you pay for.
HAHAHAHAHA dont i know it ... bought a 13ft daiwa float rod earlier in the summer , used it first day fine - second day was goin fine then as i was reeling in a (small!!) roach the top 8in or so just flopped off lol :D

got a refund on that ..

so bought a drennan rod which was much better , all was well ... until i shut my front door on it ( and my decent bass/spinning rod) and splintered the spigot/s :mad:

Associate
depends what you are fishing for?

if you are looking for bream/tench/carp/barbel etc i would not look at anything apart from Harrison - don't bother with custom build as again in my opinion factory built are better

sure with custom builds you can choose different handles/whipping colours etc - non of which make it a better rod

i used to sell secondhand high end coarse tackle and in fact custom builds sold for far less than factory builds - because if you break a rod you are going to pay a lot more for a replacement custom build IF the blank is still available

Steve Harrison only puts what he thinks are right on his in house rods

i have i think about sixteen Harrison Torrix in test curves from 0.75 to 1.75

for 'match' type rods Drennan Acolyte range cannot be beaten in my opinion

Diawa have made some superb rods in the past - the Powermesh rods were superb for the price (still have a few)

and the Infinity X carp rods are still a classic - i have many from 2.25tc up to 3.5tc

the 2.75 is my favourite - with a 3oz lead and bait 150yds is available all day long if you have the casting technique and right reel/line

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom