Fit in one month

Associate
Is it possible to get really fit in one month?

I understand it's a relative concept. I'm already 'quite' fit. Ran a 5k a couple of years ago. Could manage 3k right now. I'm maybe a stone overweight, and 46 years old. Can work long hours, have a fairly physical job. But in one month I might have a job which is seriously demanding, for 10 days straight.

So, I don't want to bulk up, or be any stronger etc. Just need leg stamina (calfs always suffer on long days) and overall fitness to handle lots of hours doing lots of physically demanding, on my feet work.

Is running the best bet for this? I already run but sometimes go a few months without doing so. Currently been doing a few k, a few times a week. I don't go to a gym, and don't really want to, so happy to do press-ups and all that simple malarky. Obvs I'll be watching my diet, no boozing etc.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Regular cardio exercise should be enough to maintain decent fitness. If you're doing runs, try extending the distance so you're doing 5k 4-5 times a week and you should have a good level of fitness in a month or so.

Caporegime
As above, extend the distance of your run and try to find some challenging run routes with hills to gain leg strength. Take flights of stairs wherever possible, park the far end of carparks

Associate
OP
Good advice thanks. And if I drove instead a cycled I'd certainly take heed of the parking advice :)

The bike isn't much use though - just city commuting, it's a broken down rattley old p.o.s, which if was a horse would've been shot. I hate it.

Associate
OP
Regular cardio exercise should be enough to maintain decent fitness. If you're doing runs, try extending the distance so you're doing 5k 4-5 times a week and you should have a good level of fitness in a month or so.

It's always my legs / calfs that are the weak link. I think cardio wise I could run 10k right now - well not right now, I'm in the pub, 3 pints into into enjoying my last day of decadence for a while :) - but my legs / calfs kill me and keep me waiting till they are good again to increase the workload. I think I need something to do to increase fitness in those gaps.

Soldato
Regular short runs and best effort miles. Another good workout are those climbing machines.

Not pushing too hard until your body is back into the swing of things is probably the way to go at 46. Take it slow and your legs will probably come back.

Don
Biggest change that helped me regain my fitness was losing weight, it was only after dropping to normal weight rather than overweight did I see big gains in my fitness levels, particularly as regards endurance.

Man of Honour
You don't think having stronger legs and back would help reduce the fatigue, through reduced perceived (and actual relative) effort?

That is cool - limiting, but cool. :)

Soldato
Don't do longer runs, especially 5km a few times a week, your only meant to add 10% per week with running totals. Your best bet is as above, do 1 good sessions per week of leg's and back in the gym, incorporate that with 1 day a week of 30 mins HIIT on a cycling machine. That would be a 3 day split. Strength + HIIT = fastest way to peak fitness. Fact.

I wouldn't do sprint HIIT work, at 46, it'll be too much of a shock, do some strength/HIIT on a cycling machine and then move onto sprinting properly if you please.

Soldato
Is it possible to get really fit in one month?
Normal 'fit', Army fit or SAS fit? :)
For the last one, read Fighting Fit by Adrian Weale. Takes 2-3 months, IIRC. ;)

So, I don't want to bulk up, or be any stronger etc. Just need leg stamina (calfs always suffer on long days) and overall fitness to handle lots of hours doing lots of physically demanding, on my feet work.
I'd say it depends on the activity you do and which muscles you use.
Plenty of blokes who run 10 miles a day every day wouldn't last half a shift doing heavy roadworks or railway labour, for example.
Look at the work your body does most during your working days and tailor your workout around that.

Soldato
I'd look at squats, leg extensions, lunges and box jumps.

Week one do 4 to 8 reps. Week 2 and 3 do 10 to 25 reps, and week 3 retain previous weights and max reps. Aim for higher sets, say 5 to 6.

It's not perfect but has proven effective in the past. Offset this with timed / distance runs, fartlek training and hill climbs.

Leave a couple of days rest before you start the new job.

Edit : weight should suit the reps, e.g. Fatigue at mid to end point of set.

Caporegime
It's always my legs / calfs that are the weak link. I think cardio wise I could run 10k right now - well not right now, I'm in the pub, 3 pints into into enjoying my last day of decadence for a while :) - but my legs / calfs kill me and keep me waiting till they are good again to increase the workload. I think I need something to do to increase fitness in those gaps.

You are running far too hard. Run nice and easy, relaxed breathing. run with a phone and talk to a mate/gf/wife.

Associate
OP
You are running far too hard. Run nice and easy, relaxed breathing. run with a phone and talk to a mate/gf/wife.

I do run easy. It's not just in running - my calfs seem to be the one and only thing that suffer whenever - ie long work days etc. I'm going to focus on getting them better. I think my cardio fitness, stamina etc is pretty good, especially for my age.

Some good advice here though. Thanks chaps. I'm going to try various things, keep running, as well as hit the free outdoor gym every day, in the park near where I live.

Associate
OP
I'd look at squats, leg extensions, lunges and box jumps.

Week one do 4 to 8 reps. Week 2 and 3 do 10 to 25 reps, and week 3 retain previous weights and max reps. Aim for higher sets, say 5 to 6.

It's not perfect but has proven effective in the past. Offset this with timed / distance runs, fartlek training and hill climbs.

Leave a couple of days rest before you start the new job.

Edit : weight should suit the reps, e.g. Fatigue at mid to end point of set.

Thanks. I was wondering how long a rest / break I should give before the new work starts. Two days is what I would have guessed at.

Caporegime
I do run easy. It's not just in running - my calfs seem to be the one and only thing that suffer whenever - ie long work days etc. I'm going to focus on getting them better. I think my cardio fitness, stamina etc is pretty good, especially for my age.

Some good advice here though. Thanks chaps. I'm going to try various things, keep running, as well as hit the free outdoor gym every day, in the park near where I live.

Try rolling them out in the evenings (get a big foam roller), and knead them with a tennis ball.

Back
Top Bottom