1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitted wardrobes - on carpet or carpet up to?

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Lumeycom, 21 Aug 2016.

1. Lumeycom

Wise Guy

Nail on the head there, thanks :)

2. mrochester

Soldato

Sorry to resurrect a really old thread but I am now in the process of redecorating a house where a fitted wardrobe has been installed OVER a carpet that needs replacing. I have been able to pull up the carpet to where the wardrobe doors are, but I am yet to get the carpet out from inside the wardrobe and from under the bottom slide rail.

Am I really gonna have to take the whole thing down to get the carpet out from underneath the slide rail?

Or is there another way to get a new carpet down without needing to get all of the old one up?

Many thanks.

m.

3. Semple

Sgarrista

If it's been emptied and doors removed, then the shell is quite light (assuming we're still talking about PAX wardrobes here). I would get two people to lift the wardrobe, whilst a third pulls at the carpet from underneath. Shouldn't be that tricky.

4. dLockers

Sgarrista

• Remove the wardrobe and carpet beneath it
    • Cut around the wardrobe and fit gripper around the wardrobe
    I have the same problem and I know if I do option 2 it'll bite me in the ass later on.

5. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

Argh, necro.

6. Scrutinize

Sgarrista

No need to remove the wardrobe or old carpet underneath. Just cut round then fit the new carpet up to the wardrobe.

You're overthinking it otherwise, unless of course the old carpet under the wardrobe had water damage or was disintegrating etc.

7. Semple

Sgarrista

You'd just about see the old carpet that way though. Unless your new underlay and carpet is thicker than the old one. Naturally the end of the carpet is tucked round a gripper so the edges are dipped slightly.

8. Scrutinize

Sgarrista

I'm presuming the wardrobes have compressed the old carpet at the edges anyway by now by a fair margin. It doesn't take long for this to happen.

Unless using a very close pile carpet and super thin underlay then it won't be visible.

Although in re-reading the request, it sounds like an open fitted wardrobe where the carpet forms the interior floor covering, ie it's just a plinth and/or door guide rail at the bottom and poss sides if not in an alcove.

In which case, removing the carpet may cause issues with levels for the doors so if removed packers would be needed.

Pics @mrochester if poss?

9. Fluffybob

Hitman

Up to the wardrobe or you will never be able to lift it without shifting the wardrobe again.

10. dLockers

Sgarrista

Argh, someone who hasn't read the necro'ed post.

11. Nikumba

Mobster

Carpeted to the skirting boards and put our pax on top

12. thenewoc

Sgarrista

Depends if the wardrobes have a base. Both our double rooms had them fitted already by the previous owners. One is a cheaper option where it sits on top of the carpet because the floor is the base and it consists of a frame at the front which the doors hang from. The other room has a better option where they are full carcases so the carpet stops at the front edge.

13. TheOracle

Capodecina

Wardrobes then carpet

What are you going to do when you change the carpet :confused:

14. dLockers

Sgarrista

Flip equation is that PAX unless installed in a permanent way are just as changeable as a carpet. And just as flimsy that having to change them isn't that bonkers of a thought.

15. TheOracle

Capodecina

Damn, thought you were going to say move house

Yes, to be fair the carpet will probably outlast the wardrobes

16. dLockers

Sgarrista

Haha touche on the move house point. My pax are fitted semi permanent. If I took them with me I'm leaving them carpet but I've taken the skirting :o

17. Destination

Capodecina

Same hood carpets were down I paxed on top, no issues