Fix tyre or get a new set?

Hey all.
My MX5 tyre is slowly going down, most likely due to a leak on the rim.
I went to get it the tyre sorted and the mechanic noticed the age of the tyres.
The rear right is 11 years old, the front two 10 years old and the rear left is a few years old (a cheap replacement for an MOT in 2010 iirc).
The tread is fine on all tyres, but they look old and are a little cracked.

I am thinking to get four new tyres - Just wanted to check that this is a good idea before proceeding!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Definitely. I read somewhere that tyres have usable life, not sure how true that is but it's cropped up a few times on the DC2 forum regarding the original DC2 tyres.

Which ones are good tyres?
I am not putting budget ones on because you only save a few quid and the car doesn't have ABS.

There are a range of good brands on blackcircles for £55 fitted.

The tyre size is 185/60/R14.

Caporegime
Pilot Exalto would be the best but they won't be cheap. Perhaps Premium Contact 5 from Continental?

Soldato
I think I recall hearing that the usable life of a tyre is ~6 years if in constant sunlight/high temps.

Obviously night time/winter needs to be factored in but cracking tyres usually indicates being run when flat or very old tyres!

I think I recall hearing that the usable life of a tyre is ~6 years if in constant sunlight/high temps.

Obviously night time/winter needs to be factored in but cracking tyres usually indicates being run when flat or very old tyres!

Part of the tread on the rear (the one that is 11 years old) has bits missing as it is simply old and starting to perish.
My old Micra still has the original spare, which has been kept under a carpet in the boot out of sunlight and somewhat shielded from airflow (oxygen that oxidises the rubber) and it still looks like new.

Beings as the car was imported in 2005, God knows where these tyres were fitted.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be changing them all! Don't fancy a blowout going along a nsl road at all.

T1Rs get suggested as good/cheap and I can rate the Michelin PE2 although it doesn't seem as grippy being colder and having less tread now, obviously, I don't get the understeer I did on the T1R though.

Soldato
I dont think I've ever gotten more than 2 years out of a set even when doing low mileage -10 is absolutely bewildering!

Top Bottom