Fixed mortgage issue

Associate
Short version of the issue.

My girlfriend and I bought a house in December 2016. This was our first house and we entered into a 2 year fixed mortgage.
We paid a third and two thirds of the deposit respectively, and have made the same ratio of payment on the mortgage every month since living there. We signed an 'unequal share' contract when moving in together.

We have recently broken up and have moved into seperate rooms, she will be moving out as she can't afford to live here on her own, I'm going to stay in the house and take over the payments.

I realise that if we re-mortgage now then we get a massive charge to do so.
I have enough cash to pay her deposit back to her. But I'm not sure what to do about any other money she may be owed, or what to do with the mortgage itself. Whether I have to change the names on it, or if it's best to hold out until the 2 years is up. I'm worried about going to a mortgage advisor in case they mis-advise me for their own gain.
We are fairly civil at the moment, and I wouldn't want to do her out of anything she is owed, but if anyone has any advice or experience with what to do, it would be greatly appreciated as the situation needs to be resolved now.

Cheers.

Caporegime
Well that will be a massive charge wont it? To lose 8k in a year would be massive to me.

My fees would be 7k on a 230k mortgage.

Not as big as a divorce so count yourself lucky.

You can remortgage and free up equity. Use that equity to pay her back as well as the charges.

Maybe you should have thought this through before buying a house together if you couldn't afford to buy the other one out.

Buy a smaller home and test the waters

Man of Honour
Why's it assumed you'll take 100% of the hit for the early payment penalty? It sounds like 33% of the penalty should be paid by her if she wants to move out now.

Soldato
Really does puzzle me people jumping in so quickly. Unequal share contract, just shows you had doubts. My now wife put 90% of the deposit down and now pays 100% of the mortgage no contracts in sight.

Anyway, i would expect the same unequal split of the burden so she should take the hit as well as you on any penalties, also shouldn't expect it as a lump sum, regular payments over a set period.

Back
Top Bottom