Flat hunting, and starting to get angry

Soldato
We don't live in a big flat in Twickenham, but have lived here long enough considering we loathe our upstairs neighbour with good reason. She became a problem within days of moving in, and we have still endured 8 years.

This place also doesn't even have a freezer.

Anyway, it's taken us a while to figure where would be nice to move to, and have sort of settled on Surrey Hills area.

We'd ideally like a three bedroom as I'd want an office working from home more now, but would settle for a large living room where can have desk.

Old builds, and landlords haven't bothered with things like double glazing or any form of modernisation most of the time.

New builds, pokey little bedrooms and wasted space with ensuite.

It seems open plan has evolved into 'your sofa will literally be IN your kitchen'

Would it be nice to save over what we pay now? Sure, but not essential. And that we can easily manage as there are properties of similar size for less.

But what there isn't much of is something a bit larger at a similar price.

One thing really grating on me is the sacrifice of space in 2nd bedroom for a darn en-suite.

Oh, and built in wardrobes.... I hate them. They rob you of flexibility arranging a room.

When did people stop having furniture in bedrooms? Really, most of the time it's literally only big enough for a bed. And forget a king size.

Can easily find things way nicer than what we pay now for not much more.

But there is no middle ground. Its either small or big.

Small and cheap or small and expensive, or big and expensive.

Sigh, just having a moan. I hate flat/house hunting.

Man of Honour
Reminds me of a flat that a friend of a friend was renting out that popped up on my FB feed few days ago - something like "large generous size rooms" and the biggest was like 2.3x2.7m - not my definition of a generous size room.

EDIT: Was "large spacious" - one was 3.9x2.7 the rest smaller.

Soldato
OP
Reminds me of a flat that a friend of a friend was renting out that popped up on my FB feed few days ago - something like "large generous size rooms" and the biggest was like 2.3x2.7m - not my definition of a generous size room.

Yep, that's a study or cupboard, not a bedroom. Yet, a constant problem I am encountering.

Maybe I'd be ok with that called a single bedroom, but not a double. And definitely not generous.

Soldato
What sort of furniture are you expecting in a bedroom besides a bed, wardrobe and maybe some drawers?

Edit: Also only those whom have ever had an ensuite bathroom would know the full benefit. If I had a house without one, I would happily sacrifice some space in the master for an ensuite.

Caporegime
What sort of furniture are you expecting in a bedroom besides a bed, wardrobe and maybe some drawers?

Edit: Also only those whom have ever had an ensuite bathroom would know the full benefit. If I had a house without one, I would happily sacrifice some space in the master for an ensuite.

Other than stinking the bedroom out, I don't see the appeal

Soldato
Property prices are going to be insane in your area.

Unfortunately unless you want to move to another part of the country it is what it is, or you need to be earning mega bucks.

Soldato
OP
Just out of curiosity, what's made you hate the upstairs neighbour?
Oh dear, that's a long story that started within short space of time receiving a threatening letter in an envelope stuffed with smoked fag ends, to poisoning rear garden hedge more recently.

She is well known by the police and the neighbours.

She can't push her luck with us much due to us getting the cops on her early, but there's always something when she can, and the cow is constantly at the back of our minds.

Soldato
Oh dear, that's a long story that started within short space of time receiving a threatening letter in an envelope stuffed with smoked fag ends, to poisoning rear garden hedge more recently.

She can't push her luck with us much due to us getting the cops on her early, but there's always something when she can, and the cow is constantly at the back of our minds.

Guess you could test out the en suite comments and combine it with a staple response from GD. Poop through her letterbox :p

I haz 4090!
Don

Sorry to hear that. She sounds like a nutter and I can understand it being on your minds. Must be quite stressful. Surely not having that to worry about if you move could make you a little more flexible on your requirements?

Soldato
Are you planning to keep renting the next one for another 8years?
If so, without replacing kitchen and bathroom, why can't you modernise yourself?

Just to make you jealous our new house master bedroom is 4.61m x 5.69m bed2 is 3.44m x 6.70m

Caporegime
Sorry to hear that. She sounds like a nutter and I can understand it being on your minds. Must be quite stressful. Surely not having that to worry about if you move could make you a little more flexible on your requirements?

Definitely this.

Couldn't think of anything worse than horrible neighbours.

Soldato
It's usually considered unhelpful due to work\family commitments, but honestly I'd consider moving somewhere cheaper. And then buying if possible.

What's your budget?

Soldato
OP

We are being rather flexible - with the exception of a bit more space. Not much more, just a bit

Are you planning to keep renting the next one for another 8years?
If so, without replacing kitchen and bathroom, why can't you modernise yourself?

Just to make you jealous our new house master bedroom is 4.61m x 5.69m bed2 is 3.44m x 6.70m

I would never modernise a rented flat myself. That's landlords issue.

And man, am I jealous on the space front :D

It's usually considered unhelpful due to work\family commitments, but honestly I'd consider moving somewhere cheaper. And then buying if possible.

What's your budget?

Well, we are considering cheaper, but also similar price to current. So anywhere from £1100 to £1500.

In my previous searches, I had capped the max monthly to £1500, and was curious how much more would open up if I went up to 1750. The answer - not much!

Soldato
Nothing to add but it still boggles my mind how much you have to pay for a small flat in somewhere that isn't on fire in London.

I know London wages are more, but are they really 2-3x more than the rest of the country to make it worthwhile living there?

Soldato
Nothing to add but it still boggles my mind how much you have to pay for a small flat in somewhere that isn't on fire in London.

I know London wages are more, but are they really 2-3x more than the rest of the country to make it worthwhile living there?

agreed - Makes me feel sick at the thought of £1500 a month to rent a flat....That's just mental....

4 bedroom detached house with lovely front and back gardens, double driveway - Mortgage payment is £382 a month :cry::cry: (0.49 over base rate tracker for lifetime) - I'm paying £800 overpayments on top of that mind you

Back
Top Bottom