1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flickr bought out by smugmug

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Luke, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Luke

Soldato

I received an email today from Flickr informing me of their takeover by smugmug. I've never heard of them so have no expectations of what they plan to do with the service under their ownership but it makes me concerned.
    I now need to investigate what export options I have in Flickr to bulk save my library with a view to maybe losing what I have.

I know it says nothing will change, but I've fallen foul of believing this in the past and would like to be prepared should the worst happen.

Anyone got any experience with smugmug?

2. strang3r

Hitman

I've been using Smugmug for a few years now to sell my work. They host my site and allows customers to purchase prints which are printed and sent out b Loxley Colour. I've had no issues with them in the past and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

3. Energize

Caporegime

Losing what you have?! You aren't seriously using Flickr as some form of cloud storage are you without having the photos on your own pc?

4. GiraffePencils

Mobster

I use Flickr as my offsite backup.
    Pictures are on my pc, also on my server under raid, but both those are at home

5. Russinating

Capodecina

Just use Google Drive. Not limited to photos and it's something inane like £1.59 a month for 100GB.

6. Energize

Caporegime

I prefer Onedrive myself, well integrated into windows and £4.50 a month for 1TB of storage and a 50GB exchange email account, 100GB is way too small for photos these days.

Though the OP should not be storing everything only in the cloud. He should have a local copy of the photos.

7. Mark_D

Gangster

Do Onedrive and Google Drive compress image files at all or is it lossless storage?

8. Energize

Caporegime

Onedrive works basically like an external hard drive, there's a folder for it in my computer and you can just drag and drop files into it, or you can set directories on your computer to automatically be backed up, it is tightly integrated into Windows so there's no need to install any apps.

For example I can set windows backup to do a bare metal backup of my entire computer and put it into the onedrive folder.

The files are copied as they are, no lossy compression.

If you need privacy you can encrypt the volume of files first before sending to the cloud.

9. The_Abyss

Sgarrista

My Flickr Pro account has been on auto renew for a while now, and this is probably the prompt I need to get rid of it once and for all. Such a shame that they didn't build on a really promising start all those years ago.

10. Russinating

Capodecina

Wow, seems Windows pre-installing proprietary software does work! It's a bit cheaper, I'll give you that, but otherwise Google Drive is as well integrated into Windows once installed, which is hardly a hardship.

11. Gungnir

Gangster

Amazon Prime - Unlimited photo storage

12. Steve M

Wise Guy

Hope they fix Explore which lately has been full of bird photos..

13. ingouk

Gangster

14. Buddy

Wise Guy

Explore is awful. Use to actually have absolutely stunning images and enjoy going through them. Now it's people "playing the game" because few groups have worked out the algorithm and you literally get the most basic snaps on there. It's also a handful of about 30 people who keep getting top few images.