Flight of the Navigator

Man of Honour
I watched this a couple of years ago. It wasn’t the same watching it as an adult in the 21st century. It’s basically a story about an eccentric alien abducting a young boy, much to the dismay of his family. It’s the McCann story on mushrooms.

I was going to say ‘Mac and Me’ was a much more wholesome story, but on reflection it is just a sci-fi twist on the discrimination faced by refugees.

I think I’m old now.

Caporegime
I watched this a couple of years ago. It wasn’t the same watching it as an adult in the 21st century. It’s basically a story about an eccentric alien abducting a young boy, much to the dismay of his family. It’s the McCann story on mushrooms.

I was going to say ‘Mac and Me’ was a much more wholesome story, but on reflection it is just a sci-fi twist on the discrimination faced by refugees.

I think I’m old now.
Not old, just a bit balmy

Soldato
As a bunch of a dozen or so mid 30-40yo's bored at work we were talking about this film just a few days ago and everyone seemed to have generally favourable memories of it - "Compliance!" :D

Soldato
Watched this last year. Still enjoyed it.

Not sure if I'm losing the plot ATM but I seem to be watching a lot of TV and movies from the 80's and 90's

Don't care if the special effects haven't aged well.

Films today just don't seem to have that magic that makes you feel good.

Watching BIG right now with my youngest and other half.

Man of Honour
Not old, just a bit balmy
Possibly. I guess what I was trying to say in a rather perverse and hyperbolic manner is ‘never meet your heroes’. When I watch a lot of these movies as an adult (including Flight of the Navigator) it tainted the fond memories I had of them. It sounds like it’s not the same for everyone but, with hindsight, I valued the fond memories more than a recent viewing.

Soldato
The 80’s were simply amazing for child/teen films.
Agreed.

I haven't formulated a proper theory on it, but suspect it has something do with the age of Boomers and their fondness/nostalgia for their suburban America upbringing (basically all these movies are set in suburbia). And their relative wealth.

None of that is meant perjoratively: it gave us a great era of family movies.

Soldato
COMPLIANCE.

I watched it for the first time over Christmas. Completely missed it while growing up and know for a fact it would have been amazing to have experienced watching it while aged 10/11. As an adult? It was alright, passed the time but as I watched it with my partner she was picking holes in all the effects, decisions, sets, designs etc, she really ruins these old things for me :(

Associate
I still quite like this film as I remember seeing it on terrestrial TV when I was about 12. Watched it last week on Film 4 and I thought the effects were great - obviously later Terminator 2 improves the whole liquid metal thing. Some parts of the film still hold up today, but it is quite goofy in places - once Max changes to a stand-up comedian I guess. It ticked a lot of boxes - spaceship, aliens, time travel, SFX :D

Some trivia off the top of my head - one of the aliens on the ship ended up in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation and I think another alien's home is possibly how Pixar got its name.

Last edited:
Soldato
"Hey, blimpo...too many Twinkies!"

I love this film. The background scifi like synth instrumentals, the amazing music by Alan Silvestri etc. It is just a great film to watch and every 80's childs dream to fly in a space ship.

Back
Top Bottom