Flight Sim Monitor

Associate
Hi all,

Got my new rig up and running, 8700k, 1080Ti, 32GB ram.

Looking to replace my aging monitor, well 12 year old Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWX.
Served me very well and got used to the TN panel quickly but things have moved on I suppose.

Got given a Dell P2414H which is IPS and obviously notice the better colours and blacker blacks.

Looking for a G-sync 27" 144hz for normal day to day work but a lot of X-Plane flight simming with photoreal scenery. Budget £400-500 but could stretch that for the right one.
Not doing photo production work for a job anymore but I'd like the Windows desktop and software to look 'normal' :p
Play FPS though not hugely now.

Looked at:
AOC AG271QG
Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz
Dell S2716DG
ViewSonic XG2703-GS

Prices are going up and down like a yo-yo with some.
The Acer can be had for £479 now and the Dell is looking a good price.
Lots of quality issues seen in reviews for most of these though.

Thing is, for what I want it for, which screen?
IPS for better colour and contrast or TN with calibration?

Very confused :confused:
Cheers

Associate
I'm not sure you need a high refresh rate monitor.

There's no real benefit for 'day to day work', and my experience is that flight sims are far less dependent on high framerates than most other games because they don't tend to involve things moving quickly across your field of view - at least not until you end up in a spin. Smooth framerates will be more important, but g-sync should take care of that even below 60fps.

Associate
OP
Ok, thanks for that Brun.

I’m still thinking of playing high refresh FPS games but mostly the Flight stuff.

Saying that, maybe a bigger G-Sync 4K 60hz monitor might be in order?

Or a large Ultra-wide?

Not sure really, monitors seem to be a minefield nowadays!

Associate
OP
Ah, just looked at the price of G-Sync Ultrawide. Yikes :eek:
Rules that out.

I concur on the G-Sync smoothing frame rates out. Depends on Flight Sim scenery but FPS can jump anywhere from 60 FPS to 30 then back to 60 in a few seconds at the moment.
X-Plane themselves suggest a good smooth and solid 30 FPS
It's a balance between CPU and GPU as both used intensively, so to get that consistent 30 FPS, G-Sync should defo help.

Just a bit concerned about buying a monitor I might keep for many years and not getting a higher refresh rate?
I'm very susceptible to noticing any motion blur.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom