Floor Plan for Comms Cabinet Help

Associate
Hey guys,

I think this is the most fitting forum section for this question, move if its not :rolleyes:

Basically I have a college project of implementing a network into a business.
Its not a big deal but I was wondering where on this floor plan you would place the comms cabinet.

No restrictions, I can knock walls down or put walls up (preferably not though as I have a small budget :p )

I'm thinking just wap it into the staff lounge lol.

Click

So yea, any thoughts?

Appreciate the help,
Em

Last edited:
Associate
agreed, I have an answer. imo pretty obvious place but never know. also there is an assumption there is no issue entering the building either top or bottom for connectivity (of drawing)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Without saying exactly where I'd put it, personally I'd have these concerns that would influence my decision:

I wouldn't want it right next to water sources due to risk of flooding

I wouldn't want a noisy server room next door to the MD's office for him/her to moan about

I'd want to try to have it in it's own secure room

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you for your input guys.
I know its a very simple/ easy question but I'm just after a bit of clarification :)

I think I might just put up a wall at the back of the admin lounge so I can have contact with the main wall to external cables and AC can be easily accessible.

Thanks once again :)

Permabanned
If it's homework it's not ment to be a trick answer. Justify why you choose that as an answer and discuss the pros and cons.

I would put it in a locked cabinet inside the admin office, 1 [one] wall built in the corner. Judging by that picture there will be only 9 [nine] rooms to put workstations. That means only 1 switch will be needed and one patch panel.

The Admin office is central with an outside wall available if needed for access and trunks. If a server is needed to be added to it then so be it but the locked cabinet inside a new partition with a door would be good.

PS next time you ask a question like this, give your answer. Then ask if that's what others would do and why. ;)

Associate
Consider cable lengths of the staff lounge, depending on how you can route cables it may be fine for day one, but future upgrades could struggle (its worth a thought if nothing else).

Coms should be in a secure room, away from cleaners and general staff and well vented.

Where does the internet connection get terminated?

Soldato
It's also lockable and good at dissipating heat. That way you can save on air-con and as the walls can be moved i would make a presumption that they are only partition walls not load bearing and thus not great with sound insulation. And you wouldnt really need a 42u rack for that size office. 1-2u for the router, a FAP server 1-2u and a couple of network termination panels, easily get away with the 12u version.

Associate
Hey guys,

I think this is the most fitting forum section for this question, move if its not :rolleyes:

Basically I have a college project of implementing a network into a business.
Its not a big deal but I was wondering where on this floor plan you would place the comms cabinet.

No restrictions, I can knock walls down or put walls up (preferably not though as I have a small budget :p )

I'm thinking just wap it into the staff lounge lol.

Click

So yea, any thoughts?

Appreciate the help,
Em

haha i've seen that sort of room plan before jew and esk by any chance?

Soldato
It's also lockable and good at dissipating heat. That way you can save on air-con and as the walls can be moved i would make a presumption that they are only partition walls not load bearing and thus not great with sound insulation. And you wouldnt really need a 42u rack for that size office. 1-2u for the router, a FAP server 1-2u and a couple of network termination panels, easily get away with the 12u version.

Personally I think this is a bad idea. Whats going to happen to the heat once its expelled. Its going to cook the room its in. I think a small 12u cabinet and a way to circulate cold air in will do. Whther thats a vent in the wall or a air con unit.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
a FAP server

I know I'm childish, but this made me lol :)

My only issue with the store is being next to the loos, potential water risks there plus if you're being really picky lots of people walking past all the time. The latter not particularly an issue in most situations.

Back
Top Bottom