FloppyPoppy is learning Photography

Man of Honour
it might be just about right at that distance you will have to have a play around with it as i don't have a desk with that much space.

It is the same model yes! You won't regret the purchase im confident of that!

No worries at all i have already boxed it up and also thrown in something called an ND filter for you to try ( you screw it to the front of the lens and it gives you one more method of controlling how much light comes into the image ) these are really nice when you are outside because it means you can use a lower F stop such as F1.8 without having the image over exposed. They can be had for nice and cheap mind you :)

im not sure how well the camera works as a webcam however there are two ports on the side of it, one is a usb and one is a hdmi output so i would imagine you will need to get a hdmi cable to get full function from it as i think the image over usb will be really limited due to the bandwidth of usb.
Cool, really can't wait to start having fun now :D

I'll be using it with the Elgato Camlink (buying from OCUK) even though it's not mentioned as compatible on their website I've read a few posts/comments that confirm it works perfectly.

Soldato
OP
Cool, really can't wait to start having fun now :D

I'll be using it with the Elgato Camlink (buying from OCUK) even though it's not mentioned as compatible on their website I've read a few posts/comments that confirm it works perfectly.

ah fantastic! let me know how you get on with it as i may use it later down the line as a webcam for facial recognition on star citizen (nerd)

it really is a blast to shoot with and it's forced me to do extra exercise than i otherwise would have to get to locations with nice views haha

Soldato
OP
That's just obscene :p

You buy it?

Yes i bought it after trying my uncles 70-200 canon F4.0

This is an upgrade from that as it's F2.8 and because it's a native sony lens and not adapted to the E mount i have a lot more functionality with focusing/stability/aperture control ect plus this has much sharper images over all compared to the cannon lens. Managed to get a good deal on it at £1600 new and i can get £100 from sony as cashback. Once you register your camera to their website they do cashback on your first three lenses

Man of Honour
Yes i bought it after trying my uncles 70-200 canon F4.0

This is an upgrade from that as it's F2.8 and because it's a native sony lens and not adapted to the E mount i have a lot more functionality with focusing/stability/aperture control ect plus this has much sharper images over all compared to the cannon lens. Managed to get a good deal on it at £1600 new and i can get £100 from sony as cashback. Once you register your camera to their website they do cashback on your first three lenses
Looks like an immense lens, not jelly at all :p

Yeah that link would be great mate, thanks :)

Soldato
OP
you register here once you have done that they will email you three codes that you use on this page to claim the cashback. It's not for ALL lenses like my 50mm isn't in the promotion but you should be able to see the list of lenses on the drop down to see if the ones you are interested in the offer ( i only realised now that it's not for all lenses sorry, i was going to claim on the 50mm but it's not in the list.

Soldato
OP
TfSukaVh.jpg So after selling my camera to upgrade last year I've finally upgraded to an a7 iv after too long. Absolutely loving taking nice pictures again. Got a Holdiay to a hot sunny beach next week so will be taking it with me to get some shots!

Here is a picture i took the other morning of my “breakfast” after a long night shift :D

Soldato
Always been curious, is what we see in the pics what you were seeing with the naked eye or is the camera needed to bring out colour? I only ask as a few years ago while out trying to capture them here (does happen occasionally) I took a pic of a pretty much dark sky but the pic showed hints of colour - if that makes sense! So having never seen them with the naked eye wonder how they compared?

Soldato
OP
Always been curious, is what we see in the pics what you were seeing with the naked eye or is the camera needed to bring out colour? I only ask as a few years ago while out trying to capture them here (does happen occasionally) I took a pic of a pretty much dark sky but the pic showed hints of colour - if that makes sense! So having never seen them with the naked eye wonder how they compared?

Great question. And the answer is varied.

If you aren’t familiar with the exact science the lights are caused by charged particles from solar storms hitting elements of oxygen (green) and nitrogen? iirc(pink/purple)

The colour you see is energy being released in the form of light however less energy = less light as such the brightness and colour of the aurora depend on the amount of charge carried in the particles hitting those elements in the magnetic field.

due to the above if the event is not particularly strong what you will actually see with your eye is an unusual white/grey almost cloud like thing in the sky but it moves quickly and is easily identifiable. If you photograph that then you will see the green as the camera has more capacity to see light than your eyes.

in cases of highly charged particles then absolutely yes you can see the colours as clear as these pictures which i was fortunate enough to see.

Back
Top Bottom