Fly Tipping in a council house

Soldato
There's a neighbour who's in council house accommodation and they've dumped half the house out on their front driveway. It's causing rats to appear as well as the look of the area. They've got cars so can't understand why they don't take it to the tip.

Can you just report fly tipping or have to contact specific council?

Permabanned
I would imagine it's a case for their landlords, the council. Good luck, this near to Christmas I can only imagine the dramas in getting through to them and eliciting a meaningful response before well into the New Year, unless you know the secret telephone ring codes and have something compelling on one of their hierarchy ;)

Permabanned
It's not really "fly tipping" if it's on their own driveway, is it?

How long has it been there OP?
It's not really "fly tipping" if it's on their own driveway, is it?

How long has it been there OP?

might be fly tipping as its not their own property. If it's rented technically maybe might be fly tipping though as they are dumping stuff on other peoples land. So it might be fly tipping.

Commissario
If it's on their own property/property tey rent it's not fly tipping, it may however be something for environmental health at the council to look into if it is actually encouraging rats (although unless there is food that seems unlikely in the short term).

At this time of year it's often a pain in the neck to get into your local tip even before any covid restrictions so unless they really are causing rats I'd give them some leeway for a few weeks, certainly I wouldn't go causing them trouble immediately just for a bit of rubbish.

Mind you I'm saying this knowing I've got a pile of things like old plant pots, concrete bags that have set solid, and crap wood in my back garden (not causing rats, and out of sight), that I've not been able to get rid of down the tip for a few months because of a combination of covid restrictions (booking a slot a week or two in advance is difficult if you're not sure you'll be around/able to make it within a 15 minute window and then get everything unloaded within 10 minutes), and the fact that the normal route to the tip is closed making it considerably harder to reach for me.

Associate
At least in Swansea the council pest control was free of charge for rats (we needed them several times over the years due to neighbors like the ones OP has). I'm not sure if that would be the same for every council but it's probably worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom