Focus - buy used one or go ford privilege pcp

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a focus titanium 1.0 ecoboost and wanted your opinions on the best route.

Looking on auto trader I can get a 2/3 year old model for around the £8-9000 mark. I'm only planning on keeping the car for 2 years. I'm guessing I should be able to get £5-6000 come selling time so a very very rough figure of £3000 Depreciation as long as no repairs are needed.

Now with ford privilege I can get a new titanium for £189 deposit plus 24 months x £189 so a total of £4725 for 2 years.

What do you all think? Do my figures on the used car seem reasonable and do you think it's worth the extra for a new car vs used. The extra money is no problem for me but I like things to make financial sense.

Soldato
If you like the idea of a new one look at the price and financing options from a broker, you might find the theoretical gap decreases a bit.

In terms of making pure financial sense, it's fairly unlikely that a new car will ever work out at a net zero / saving over a relatively new used example

Associate
I'm still skeptical about the longevity of a tiny 1.0 boosted to the max in a biggish car like a focus. So for that reason I'd be tempted by the new PCP deal just for peace of mind. As you said it would only take 1 big bill from the used car for it to be a negligible difference.

Caporegime
I'm still skeptical about the longevity of a tiny 1.0 boosted to the max in a biggish car like a focus. So for that reason I'd be tempted by the new PCP deal just for peace of mind. As you said it would only take 1 big bill from the used car for it to be a negligible difference.
But then if he's only keeping it for two years, what's the problem? And thee haven't been any proper horror stories about the 1.0 and it's available in the Fiesta and the Ka too. Seems very reliable, frugal and well liked overall.

Soldato
Depends, if your used to driving cars with more power then it will feel very gutless.

But Ford's engines are pretty good for reliability.

Soldato
But then if he's only keeping it for two years, what's the problem? And thee haven't been any proper horror stories about the 1.0 and it's available in the Fiesta and the Ka too. Seems very reliable, frugal and well liked overall.

The focus 1.0 ecoboost I drove was fine and at times felt a lot faster then it was.

You really notice the lack of power if your actually going flat out trying to build up speed - it feels dog slow. But just general driving round, cruising, even on the motorway it was absolutely fine to drive 'normally'. It just has no power.

It was really good on fuel as you'd expect from a 1.0 litre engine.

Soldato
And thee haven't been any proper horror stories about the 1.0 and it's available in the Fiesta and the Ka too. Seems very reliable, frugal and well liked overall.
Yes there is there's like a 20 page thread on PH about the 1.0 ecoboost a quite few having engines replaced and big problems before they have even hit 50k not to mention on the Honest John site about the Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost's blowing Turbo's at a high rate

Back
Top Bottom