Focus ST brake pads

Soldato
I'm a bit of a noob to this because I've either had company cars or not done the miles to warranty a change before I've changed job and wound up with a company car but..

My 2.5yr ols Focus ST2 apparently needs front pads which doesn't come as a big surprise to me, when it snowed they really didn't want to stop at all.

So.. what do I do? Ford have quoted me £140 fitted?

I kind of promised myself I would upgrade any bits that fell off seeing as I'm keeping this for a good while yet, its a company car but I get an allowance and the value of them is such that I can't see the sense in selling something for £6k or something that cost me £19k and is still completely sound.

I've seen these redstuff/yellowstuff pads, are they good? I fancy something good but not too extreme, I live in this car (65k miles in 2 and a half years) so something where I have to get heat into the discs etc isn't going to cut it but by the same token something with more bite would be nice.

Also, the prices I am seeing, are they for 1 set or a full set of front pads? ie when I see yellowstuff ones for £80 is that for a full front replacement or just 1 side? i would assume you would always get them replaced in pairs?

Sorry for all the questions!

Associate
If it's still inside warranty then generally you cannot use non-Ford original parts. You don't have to go to Ford to get it done though.

Soldato
Were you satisfied with the original pads?

Personally I would fit the ones that are already on there. £140 sounds expensive though, I guess £40 for pads and £30 for labour would be about right.

Call Ford and ask to speak to "rapid fit" they should do it for less.

Soldato
the warranty has gone now its over 60k miles.. I was happy enough but they could always be better?
Maybe, I guess I have had bad experiences with "decent" non OEM stuff.

See how much Ford want for just the pads and then take them to a local fast fit place like HiQ or something for fitting, or do them yourself if you can be bothered/have the motivation to.

Soldato
Yellowstuff pads are about £100 plus fitting,mate has these on his and said its a big improvement on the old originals.

Associate
£140 doesn't sound too bad to me. Seat wanted £500 for new front disks and pads for my leon, which I kindly declined. Unless you're going near a track I'd probably stick with the OEM pads as they tend to work well from cold. I've got EBC Yellowstuff pads on at the moment. Although they aren't dangerous when cold you really notice the difference when you get some heat into them.

Soldato
£140 doesn't sound too bad to me. Seat wanted £500 for new front disks and pads for my leon, which I kindly declined. Unless you're going near a track I'd probably stick with the OEM pads as they tend to work well from cold. I've got EBC Yellowstuff pads on at the moment. Although they aren't dangerous when cold you really notice the difference when you get some heat into them.

140quid for front pads doesnt seem to bad?

The pads are probably 30quid, £110 labour for a 20minute job max? :p

This is a perfect opertunity for you to do a bit of DIY, changing pads is sooooo easy and you really dont need many tools at all! Spanner (Torque wrench is better though!), G clamp, adjustable wrench and some axel stands for safety (I got 4 axel stands from tesco for £11 total!), trolley jack for the sake of your wrists. Thats it!

Last edited:
Permabanned
you can get oem pads for £80ish and just take it to any garage to get them to fit it, its a 20 min job, the guys on focus ST owners club forums say the oem pads are the best if you dont go on a track,

Soldato
OP
since when does brakes not working in the snow indicate the pads need changing?? lol...

well I don't know but particularly through the depths of winter there were a few times where I'd leave my house, get the the end of the road about 200m away and get a bit of a fright when I pressed the brake on not very much happened.

If I drove for about 50m with my brake and accelerator on (brakes only lightly obv) which i assume got a bit of heat into them they worked ok but to me that was a sign they were on their way out.

I didn't think that was such an unreasonable assumption to make? I know a bit of snow isn't going to stop them working, I just didn't bother giving the long version :p

Soldato
well I don't know but particularly through the depths of winter there were a few times where I'd leave my house, get the the end of the road about 200m away and get a bit of a fright when I pressed the brake on not very much happened.

If I drove for about 50m with my brake and accelerator on (brakes only lightly obv) which i assume got a bit of heat into them they worked ok but to me that was a sign they were on their way out.

I didn't think that was such an unreasonable assumption to make? I know a bit of snow isn't going to stop them working, I just didn't bother giving the long version :p

i wasnt doubting that they was worn out. you've got good miles out of them. it was just the snow that made tyres slip not lack of brakes.

When was the brake fluid changed last? Maybe get that done at the same time.

Soldato
OP
i wasnt doubting that they was worn out. you've got good miles out of them. it was just the snow that made tyres slip not lack of brakes.

When was the brake fluid changed last? Maybe get that done at the same time.

mate I know the difference between the wheels locking and the brakes not biting.

It wasn't just when it snowed, it was particularly when it was cold and damp and quite often the brakes just didn't work until they were up to speed. I enjoy driving in the snow and coming from ooop north I'm quite accustomed to it and I have provoked my ABS in various cars partly out of curiosity and partly so I know what to expect when I need it. This was very different, it was apply brake.. loud rumbly noise and not much else.

tbh it was similar to what I've experienced when moving cars that have been sat a good while and had a bit of rust built up on the disc, not what I'd expect from something used extensively every day!

Soldato
well thats what discusions are about. you said "mate I know the difference between the wheels locking and the brakes not biting" and then a few more lines sayin how you know the difference. Yet your OP says your brakes didnt work in the snow (which is more often down to skiding etc).

I just said "since when does brakes not working in the snow indicate the pads need changing??" before i knew this info, as it seemed strange that brakes not working on snow would mean the pads were worn out. But now you've explained you know the difference i was still confused about brakes + snow comment.

anyway peace (i got out of wrong side of bed)

edit: FocusSTOC seems to recommend Mintex pads.

Back
Top Bottom