FOCUS ST Petrol/Diesel Owners

Soldato
How does stage 2 pass MOT with no dpf?

Visual check at the moment as diesels are just checked for smoke levels on the emissions check.

So you can gut the dpf out from the inside although though it’s illegal if you’re caught driving the vehicle on the road.

Although there are soon to be some kind of emissions testing that will detect if a dpf has been removed. Not sure when that will come into force.

Soldato
If your going to spend stupid money modifying it why didn't u just buy the proper ST in the first place? 250bhp standard and actually sounds like a proper performance hatch rather than a taxi

Soldato
Heh, the petrol is a LOT quicker than the diesel version.

The torque does not make up the difference, not even close (Fords hot hatches are all torquey anyway). The petrol is almost 2 seconds quicker to 62 which is a huge gap. The diesel isn't a hot hatch tbh, just a warm one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Torque doesn't make any difference to acceleration (for the same power), it only does if you don't know how to use a gearbox.

And again you can't compare one modified car to another standard one, spend the same money and mods on the real ST and it'd be way faster again.

Associate
I get what you mean .

here are my reason mate .

1) 45-60mpg rather than 20-25mpg
2) tax is £20 (new £140 as of 2017)
3) I will be doing a lot of miles travelling 500 mile round trips 4 times a month
4) a stage 2 TDCI keeps up with the 250bhp petrol and beats it due to the extra torque .
5) the torque is also much better than the petrol standard.
6) Diesel sounds just as good as a petrol with right exhaust ..
7) i already have a 2.0L Titanium 2009 Mondeo (petrol) that drinks like fish .
8) i didn't say i was going to spend stupid money in the first place ..

9) my brother has an ST-3 250 2014 plate and my mate has standard 182bhp ST-3 TDCI and the diesel wins with that extra torque im afraid .i drove both ..and prefer the pull on the diesel .

Dont get me wrong i like the crackles and pops as i was going to get an RS beleive it or not but the extra MPG still having the performance and then the option to re-map to the 250R and better torque of the petrol .

10) its also cheaper on insurance by £200 lol £370 on a 2016 plate ST-3 TDCI , and £573 for a 2014 petrol ST-3 (the petrol was my brothers car)

If money was not so important though i would be going for the MK3 focus RS . but then there is the head gasket issue on them now .. so i would have gone BMW M3 .

1) A petrol ST should be capable of more than 25mpg, especially if the diesel is doing close to 60mpg in the same circumstances. It's capable of 40+ on a run. My Octavia VRS which is also a 2.0 petrol with similar power is capable of 45+ on long journeys.

2) Tax is a very small cost of overall ownership. Petrol ST is hardly £500.

3) If the rest of your journeys/mileage are short trips it seems unfortunate to lumber yourself with a diesel because of 4 trips each month where the petrol should acheive a respectable economy figure.

4) Great, what about a stage 2 petrol Vs stage 2 diesel?

5) The diesel has better peak torque. The Petrol has plenty of torque, more power, and both over a larger rpm range.

6) No 4 cylinder diesel sounds good regardless of exhaust. The quieter the better.

7) What MPG is drinking like a fish? All short trips?

8) ??

9) Very subjective but if that's what you prefer then fine, it's your car. You could have just gone straight to this point instead of the convoluted previous 8 points justifying your choice.

10) You mentioned modifying the diesel to be similar in performance to the petrol. Is the diesel still cheaper with mods declared than a standard petrol.

Also a 2016 Focus diesel will depreciate quicker than 2014 petrol, which quickly wipes out the Insurance savings.

How did I do? :p

Back
Top Bottom