Folding@home News 24th September - 1st October 2010

Associate
I have one of these and have it clocked to 850/1700/1800. I imagine you would be able to squeeze a little more out of the Hawk but personally I wouldn't get one.

If your willing to pay the difference for a little more performance thats all well and good but you should ask yourself should I pay more again and get a GTX470?

Man of Honour
For folding/seti the 768 one is fine I reckon the memory footprint of gpu apps can fit multiple times into 768MB and by the time they change that we will probably think a 480 is old hat.

Associate
I have one of these and have it clocked to 850/1700/1800. I imagine you would be able to squeeze a little more out of the Hawk but personally I wouldn't get one.

If your willing to pay the difference for a little more performance thats all well and good but you should ask yourself should I pay more again and get a GTX470?

Thanks for the feedback, didgemaster. That one is more to my liking, now if I could get it running with my 260? but that's a topic for another thread.

Biffa said:
For folding/seti the 768 one is fine I reckon the memory footprint of gpu apps can fit multiple times into 768MB and by the time they change that we will probably think a 480 is old hat.

That confirms what I thought about not needing 1GB memory. Ta:)

Soldato
I wouldn't worry too much about me, Pilgrim57! I've come to the demoralising conclusion that nothing I do with my PC justifies i7, so I've decided to sell it while it's still worth lots of money and have just downgraded to a Phenom II X4 965 :(
It'll be many months now until I overtake you, if I do!

I won't put up much challenge to NightmareXX either :(

RAM is all posted off as per email :) Sorry RJK!

This might be flying close to the wind as per the above but since any sale would take place through MM I think it's OK RJK? If not please let me know/delete it! But since I've got this i7 860 and P55-UD6 mobo floating around now I'm planning on listing it in MM when I get round to it, in case anyone's looking out for a shiny secondhand i7 bundle! Will be up for £250 to give you a ballpark, I'll post back here with the link when it's up if RJK doesn't object?

Good folding all :D

Man of Honour
Anyone know what the phenoms like at crunching A3s if you overclock the nuts off them? Are the Quads like Q6600 speeds and what about the hex cores? Almost i7 speed in PPD?

Associate
I believe that GPU2 and GPU3 clients don't work with each other. GTX460 will only run GPU3 so you will have to run GPU3 on the GTX260 which will result in your GTX260 having a lower PPD than it would have with GPU2
Thanks for the info. TBH & admit heresy I planned to use the 260 for Seti:eek:

miniyazz said:
I wouldn't worry too much about me, Pilgrim57! I've come to the demoralising conclusion that nothing I do with my PC justifies i7, so I've decided to sell it while it's still worth lots of money and have just downgraded to a Phenom II X4 965 :(
It'll be many months now until I overtake you, if I do!

Sorry to hear that:( Hope the Phenom II X4 965 works out for you.

Man of Honour
Oooh oooh... just got a prezzie for weebeastie that should let it crunch bigadv AND 4 fermis at the same time
sekret.gif

Woah.. massive heatsink in the box, I was wondering why it was twice the size of a normal box
banana097.gif

Man of Honour
Anyone know what the phenoms like at crunching A3s if you overclock the nuts off them? Are the Quads like Q6600 speeds and what about the hex cores? Almost i7 speed in PPD?

My Athlon II X4 @ 3.6 Would return around 7.2kppd at best (5-6k p6701/2), however this was an athlon that unlocks the L3 cache as it is on the deneb core so its effectively a phenom II

Soldato
Speaking of speed, your giving me a run for it this week. :cool:

Indeed, thanks! ;)

The lack of BigAdv WUs is slowing me down tbh, but now I have both my dedicated systems overclocked and in cases it should hopefully be more consistant.

Looks like you have the big 20 mil coming up soon! Would be a good time to pack it in! ;) :o

Last edited:
Soldato

My Athlon II X4 @ 3.6 Would return around 7.2kppd at best (5-6k p6701/2), however this was an athlon that unlocks the L3 cache as it is on the deneb core so its effectively a phenom II

That seems good, mine @ 3.8GHz using three cores is on 4.5kPPD (P6024). I seem to be using 40-60% of the remaining core for other things so I can't see that PPD improving with more cores!

Man of Honour

Hmm.. I thought I saw a review where the Phenom II spanked a QXXXX and gave a stock i7 a run for its money when it had 6 cores :(

*cough*

That seems good, mine @ 3.8GHz using three cores is on 4.5kPPD (P6024). I seem to be using 40-60% of the remaining core for other things so I can't see that PPD improving with more cores!

Thats about the same as a Q6600

Back
Top Bottom