Follow your heart or the money?

Associate
Which path do you believe is the right one to follow wrt to your career? Which one did you follow, and why?

Personally I'm not sure which one is right. I think most probably struggle with this. What do you think?

Soldato
Generally speaking, one spends an awful lot of time working; therefore you are better off if you enjoy/like it, even if the £ is not great.

I always find people who worship their income very boring and many are morally bankrupt.

So, have less stress, have a real life and be healthier and prob' better liked.

There are some exceptions of course but as a general rule, go with your heart.

Soldato
Bit of both.. im at a crossroads with my career, got various prospects on the go..

If I were to follow my heart, i'd go into professional driving, considering doing my PCV in November.. either that or go into the police in their control room, i've got 2 police applications in process and im just waiting to hear back from them..

Another applicaiton I have is with the RAC, and thats nearlly 1k more than im on now... so im just seeing what cards I have to play so to speak.

Soldato
I agree with singist.

I used to want to strive to earn as much £s as possible.

Then my experiences changed.

I'm happy earning a modest wage and having my own time, health, happiness and stuff like that.

That top notch PC you buy today is already old technology.
That fast car you buy can only stay legal below 70 mph.

You can't take it with you, but you can enjoy more on this earth the longer you live.

I've lost my point again. :o

Permabanned
Your heart, ideally.

You spend a great deal of your life working, so it should be something you love.

However, realism and practicality often bites people's dreams and makes them follow the job with the most money.

Caporegime
singist said:
Generally speaking, one spends an awful lot of time working; therefore you are better off if you enjoy/like it, even if the £ is not great.

I always find people who worship their income very boring and many are morally bankrupt.

So, have less stress, have a real life and be healthier and prob' better liked.

There are some exceptions of course but as a general rule, go with your heart.

Agreed.

Those that chase money lead poorer lives.

Associate
Heart all the way.

I originally went for the money and did my Degree in Computer Science, got a job, have been working and i just do not enjoy it anymore, Computers are a hobby for me - not a profession, i realise that now and i'm going back to university to do Architecture which i always wanted to do.

The same applies to Jobs, go with what you'd be happy doing, not just for the money.

Caporegime
For the first ~5 years, money. Then, get a job doing something interesting.

At the moment, I like my job - I don't love it. I get paid a lot, but don't have oodles of free time. I think in about 5 years I'd like to go part time. Of course how much I scrimp and save will dictate that.

Dracata said:
Heart all the way.

I originally went for the money and did my Degree in Computer Science, got a job, have been working and i just do not enjoy it anymore, Computers are a hobby for me - not a profession, i realise that now and i'm going back to university to do Architecture which i always wanted to do.

The same applies to Jobs, go with what you'd be happy doing, not just for the money.
How strange - I did Computing & Mathematics and an MSc in Mathematics, and one of my desires would be to go back to University to do..Architecture.

Last edited:
Soldato
doublehelix2 said:
What was it that made you change?

Realising that material things didn't necessarily make me happy.
I would say it's a decision you have to come to yourself.
It's like confidence or finding yourself.

Are a £100 pair of sunglasses going to make you more attractive or cooler or is it the person inside with great personality and passion?

As with ArmyofHarmony it's a balance of doing what you want and also earning a living.

Could you start putting costs on the things you have or don't realise you have.

How much would you be willing to forfeit to be able to shorten your commute to work?
How much would someone pay to spend an evening in the company of an attractive girl/boy each evening? (if you have a girlfriend / boyfriend - that's my point.. the point being that people pay a lot for evening 'company')
How much do people pay life coaches n' all to find happiness or to exceed in something you already may be good at. If you have that skill, you've saved loads.

Start adding your life up and I'm sure there are people out there on cor blimey salaries who would trade.

We need to look at our own lives and stop comparing all the time.

If you have a clear head, start listening and your heart will point you in the right directions.

Soldato
Its a compromise. If i followed my heart i'd be happy not working and just doing my own thing. However, i've bills to pay and food to buy so have to work.

The secret is to find a job that you enjoy but which also pays enough for you to live comfortably on so its a compromise between heart and money.

Back
Top Bottom