1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food banks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeTimbers, Feb 11, 2019.

1. MikeTimbers

Soldato

Is the rise in numbers visiting food banks due to poverty or because there are more food banks and they give food away for free?

2. Uther

Sgarrista

You do know you can't just walk into a food bank and demand food right? You have to be referred. The government think it's a great success that more and more people are having to visit food banks to survive.
    'Let them eat cake'

3. chrcoluk

Wise Guy

The kind of question asked by someone who wants to believe poverty doesnt exist in the UK.

4. MikeTimbers

Soldato

Genuine question as do not know how they work. I now know more than I did which is helpful.

5. 233

Capodecina

i'd imagine a good number of people using foodbanks are indeed needing the support,

i'd also imagine an even bigger number see it as something for nothing and leaves them more money to spend on fags booze and sky tv

6. wellsy

Associate

I did some volunteering work for the Salvation Army and they offer a food bank. I used to interview people who needed the food, they are required to get a "food voucher" from a their support worker, mental health worker or from their local church, they are interviewed from them also as to why they need the food (debt, homelessness, crisis etc)

They aren't just given out willy nilly.

7. jsmoke

Soldato

They managed during the war, people expect too much?

8. LabR@t

Sgarrista

Spend your £20 on some weed and call in at the food bank for tea, or spend frugally?

Hmm

*Not everyone, but a significant number I white guess.

9. Vexr

Gangster

Last I heard you needed a referral to a foodbank (from somewhere like the DWP) and the limit is two visits. I'm guessing it varies from area to area.

So yeah, hardly a case of deciding to swing by in your car instead of going to the supermarket and asking them to load up the boot with free food. It also sounds like most self-respecting people find it a pretty soul destroying thing to have to do.

10. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Watch 'I Daniel Blake'

It lays it on a bit thick, but it's still true to life.

11. 200sols

Wise Guy

What a stupid comment. How can somebody educate themselves if asking the question is met with responses like this.

12. Uther

Sgarrista

I doubt they're going learn much from some of the Daily Fail like comments already posted.

13. 200sols

Wise Guy

Don’t worry, those Guardian readers.. bastions of the righteous truth will be along shortly.

14. Dis86

Capodecina

There have been some very good responses though.

15. sigma

Capodecina

Brexit will reduce the number of people using food banks

16. darael

Mobster

Universal credit: DWP ‘bans jobcentres from referring people to food banks’ - The Independent
    DWP BANS LOCAL FOODBANK REFERRALS - Lewes Eye

17. Caracus2k

Mobster

The kind of reply from someone who doesn't know what actual *poverty* really is?

* I. E relative poverty compared to thoose in the worst positions globally.

I'm far from convinced that an increase in recorded food bank usage is evidence of a longer term trend of increased poverty over previous years, even within living memory for some.

Yes I know that you need a referral to go to one and yes I know that there are limitations based on their use.

But I also have first hand experience of people who live *chaotic* lives being given multiple perhaps undeserved chances by professionals and support workers to access special services as its often easier to paper over the cracks then address the underlying causes.

I think a wide selection of anonymized yet individual case studies of the surrounding circumstances of people accessing these services may well provide some interesting context.

There are some people left in unexpected (and usually temporary) dire staits due to things like universal benefits being messed up or delayed but there's also a load of people who are seemingly unable or unwilling to manage the simplest of domestic issues like making sure they don't spend all their money before the next lot is due when they still need to put some food on the table.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  18. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

19. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Yeah, a hard brexit means they won't have any food to give out....

20. pokerking

Wise Guy

Have a family member who uses a 'food bank' service who has kids and struggles to do a full shop every week.

From what I gather she pays £10 and gets a full green basket full of fruit and veg, fresh milk and meat, some random ready meals and frozen food. I believe most of if is from supermarkets and close to the sell by date, you can walk around and pick more stuff up to full shopping bags up.

Seems like it helps her out.