Football and the Coronavirus

Soldato
Well i assume they are batch tested and tested incorrectly by a completely independent company. Im not sure how this stinks tbh.
Lateral flow test will be done at the club and simply don’t return false positives in any number, for the same players then to under go PCR testing and again return false positives is just to bigger stretch of the numbers, something stinks I’ve no idea why it has happened by a statistical anomaly of that level warrants a little digging.

Soldato
Lateral flow test will be done at the club and simply don’t return false positives in any number, for the same players then to under go PCR testing and again return false positives is just to bigger stretch of the numbers, something stinks I’ve no idea why it has happened by a statistical anomaly of that level warrants a little digging.
why do you think Liverpool would falsify positive covid tests? What benefit do we get out of it?

Soldato
why do you think Liverpool would falsify positive covid tests? What benefit do we get out of it?
I have no idea but they have pulled off a statistical impossibility so it should be investigated simply to find out how it occurred so it doesn’t again. Lateral flow Tests don’t return significant numbers of false positives and neither do PCR tests so for them both to return significant numbers on the same group of people at the same time is ridiculously unlikely.

Soldato
I have no idea but they have pulled off a statistical impossibility so it should be investigated simply to find out how it occurred so it doesn’t again. Lateral flow Tests don’t return significant numbers of false positives and neither do PCR tests so for them both to return significant numbers on the same group of people at the same time is ridiculously unlikely.

No they havent.

So unlikely that United reported a load of false positives in July?

Theres been a few similar cases in rugby and 77 in the NFL in 2020 but ok.

Last edited:
Soldato
No they havent.

So unlikely that United reported a load of false positives in July?

Theres been a few similar cases in rugby and 77 in the NFL in 2020 but ok.
These are massive statistical anomalies all cases of a sports team reporting a significant number of false positives should be investigated. Less than 2 in 100 lateral flow tests should return a false positive and even fewer for PCR tests, I’m not singling Liverpool out there is something dodgy about all these results and I don’t understand why you can’t see it…. Any examples of mass outbreaks of false positives from outside the sporting world, schools and the nhs have been doing vast numbers of lateral flow tests for 2 years…

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
These are massive statistical anomalies all cases of a sports team reporting a significant number of false positives should be investigated. Less than 2 in 100 lateral flow tests should return a false positive and even fewer for PCR tests, I’m not singling Liverpool out there is something dodgy about all these results and I don’t understand why you can’t see it….

Are you sure that you are confusing the statistical likelihood of something happening with the actual root cause.

i.e a company might have a 2% failure rate on their TVs but 90% of that 2% comes from bad batches where a machine in the production line fails and contaminates a whole batch. Thats why you get recalls for specific serial number ranges quite often.

Looking at it simply you would think that 1 in 50 TVs will be faulty but the reality is that it's much lower than that outside of specific batches that have failed. If you apply that to the tests, there may only be 2% failure rate but is that an even 2% or is that from mishandling whole batches at a facility which renders a chunk invalid.

Soldato
These are massive statistical anomalies all cases of a sports team reporting a significant number of false positives should be investigated. Less than 2 in 100 lateral flow tests should return a false positive and even fewer for PCR tests, I’m not singling Liverpool out there is something dodgy about all these results and I don’t understand why you can’t see it…. Any examples of mass outbreaks of false positives from outside the sporting world, schools and the nhs have been doing vast numbers of lateral flow tests for 2 years…

Google it. Theres loads

Soldato
Are you sure that you are confusing the statistical likelihood of something happening with the actual root cause.

i.e a company might have a 2% failure rate on their TVs but 90% of that 2% comes from bad batches where a machine in the production line fails and contaminates a whole batch. Thats why you get recalls for specific serial number ranges quite often.

Looking at it simply you would think that 1 in 50 TVs will be faulty but the reality is that it's much lower than that outside of specific batches that have failed. If you apply that to the tests, there may only be 2% failure rate but is that an even 2% or is that from mishandling whole batches at a facility which renders a chunk invalid.
Those figures are from nhs test and trace, it is very convenient that only sports teams seem to get these dodgy batches….. and especially when they have been moaning about fixture congestion.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Those figures are from nhs test and trace, it is very convenient that only sports teams seem to get these dodgy batches….. and especially when they have been moaning about fixture congestion.

What do you mean? Figures from track and trace don't have any real context. And the reason sports teams probably seem to get these dodgy batches is because they are a billion pound industry that is under constant media scrutiny. Dave and his mates who play on Sundays down the local field probably don't make the papers if they all test positive or not. They probably don't all send off a batch of COVID tests in a "job lot" either.

Soldato
I still can't get over people thinking we would falsify test results to get out of a fixture with Arsenal, of all teams, in a cup we don't value :D
Especially when the fixture congestion that Klopp was 'moaning' about was the xmas schedule where all teams play 2 games in a 48 hour period. Its something he has commentated on ever since he's been in England. Covid really does bring out the morons though so what can you do..

Personally I hope we play the strongest team we have just to really boil their ****.

Don
Klopp was asked about the situation in his press-conference today and explained the process - a positive PCR test was returned (presumably after a lateral flow test), 1 and a half days later they took a 2nd PCR test to confirm the results which returned a negative* and then a further 2-3 days later took a 3rd PCR test that again returned negatives. Based on that, I think the most likely thing that's happened here is that they weren't false positives and had in fact been infected for a few days prior but returned negative lateral flow tests.

Soldato
Klopp was asked about the situation in his press-conference today and explained the process - a positive PCR test was returned (presumably after a lateral flow test), 1 and a half days later they took a 2nd PCR test to confirm the results which returned a negative* and then a further 2-3 days later took a 3rd PCR test that again returned negatives. Based on that, I think the most likely thing that's happened here is that they weren't false positives and had in fact been infected for a few days prior but returned negative lateral flow tests.
So not false positives at all then, and all of them should have been isolating for 7 days from first symptoms or positive lateral flow test.

Associate
Still can’t see how it’s possible to have that many false positives.

It stinks.
It was never as high a number as people keep saying. I have no idea where 13 false positives came from which seems to be the number people are suggesting.

At one point we had 9 first team players available it was said, so maybe people are seeing we have 24 registered so minus 9 and you have 13. But those are players who are injured and off at the AFCON.

After the Chelsea game we had 13 players out (again, maybe this was the 13 people were seeing) 3 at the AFCON, 3 or 4 with covid, Ali, Matip and Firmino, one youth player I think and 6 injuries so it was highly possible we had only around 3 or 4 covid cases come up over the monday and tuesday which would have left us struggling to field a team as it was possible some were the keepers.

Last edited:
Don
So not false positives at all then, and all of them should have been isolating for 7 days from first symptoms or positive lateral flow test.
That's purely my guess work that they were in actual fact infected. As Klopp says in his press-conference, they suspected false positive after the 2nd PCR came back negative and following the rules, they then had to take a 3rd PCR to confirm this, isolating the full 4 days from the first PCR (5 days from the lateral flow?).

Soldato
That's purely my guess work that they were in actual fact infected. As Klopp says in his press-conference, they suspected false positive after the 2nd PCR came back negative and following the rules, they then had to take a 3rd PCR to confirm this, isolating the full 4 days from the first PCR (5 days from the lateral flow?).
Not quite in line with the governments isolation rules then which state any person who tests positive must isolate for ten days from date of symptoms or the first positive test and can only be released early if vaccinated (or exempt) when they test negative in days 6 and 7. Maybe the rules are different for footballers!

Don
Not quite in line with the governments isolation rules then which state any person who tests positive must isolate for ten days from date of symptoms or the first positive test and can only be released early if vaccinated (or exempt) when they test negative in days 6 and 7. Maybe the rules are different for footballers!
I've just watched back the part of the press-conference again where Klopp discusses this and I may have initially misunderstood him and the players have carried out their full 7 days isolation. When he says the 3rd PCR was 4 days later I initially assumed that was 4 days after the first PCR but it would make sense that it was actually 4 days from the 2nd test, which was 1-2 days after the 1st, which was a day after the lateral flow test, bringing us to the magical 7 day mark.

Back
Top Bottom