Football Banter Thread

Don
The comments are only out of order if they're not true. I have no idea if they are but it was widely reported that Lukaku was signing a new deal at Everton a year or so ago - I think even his agent said it was 99.9% done. I suspect the message that changed Lukaku's mind came from Michael Emenalo rather than having anything to do with voodoo but I can't imagine Lukaku would have been stupid enough to directly tell Everton he was tapped up.

The whole thing is very Everton though. Moshiri's on the phone to Jim White every 5 minutes giving updates on what's going on at the club and now they've got the Mayor of Liverpool dialling 999 because Barkley left. As TallPaul keeps hinting at, all that's left is for them to announce that they've signed Riquelme again.

Man of Honour
After negotiations, Sevilla have refused to lower ticket prices for our away fans in the Champions League game in February, so the club have decided to do the same to their fans. Absolutely correct.

Manchester United will charge Sevilla fans £89 to attend the Champions League last-16 tie at Old Trafford on 13 March in response to the Spanish club's "unfair and excessive" ticket pricing.

United say they will use the proceeds to subsidise fans attending the first leg in Spain on 21 February.

The La Liga side are asking for £35 more than they took from Liverpool fans in the group stages in November.

Sevilla are not breaching Uefa rules and are charging their own fans more.

United said they had taken the decision as "a deterrent to future opponents who look to increase ticket prices for our travelling supporters".

United fans will be refunded £35 before their trip to the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium, with any additional money donated to the Manchester United Foundation.

In response to complaints from ticket holders, United outlined their stance in a letter, which was issued on Wednesday.

It read: "In this instance we believe that our travelling supporters are unfairly being subjected to increased/excessive ticket prices from the host club.

"Ultimately Sevilla have not agreed to significantly lower the price to what we view as a reasonable level.

"Therefore, we have taken the difficult decision to charge Sevilla fans the same amount as our fans have been charged for the away fixture."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42636450

Don
Somewhat hypocritical of Utd (the club not supporters) given that they've just charged Derby fans £45 for their tickets, citing that the £30 away ticket cap only applies to Premier League games.

Man of Honour
Yes I did think that.

This must be an exceptional case to some degree though, surely. All the club are doing is charging the same as Sevilla, and any extra funds are going to the club charity, after reimbursing our own fans.

It's a good stand that should be taken more often by other clubs too. I suspect the negotiations must have turned a bit hostile behind the scenes.

Don
This is nothing new. The whole debate about away ticket prices started (or at least became a big thing) when Liverpool played Arsenal away in the FA Cup and Arsenal had intended to charge Liverpool fans £93 per ticket despite only charging Coventry fans £25 in the previous round. 99% of football clubs are opportunists and will charge whatever they think they can get away with. PL clubs only signed up to this £30 away ticket cap because they were put under pressure to do so but as above, as soon as Utd got the opportunity to do so, they charged away fans more. Not by quite as much but Liverpool done so in the Derby the other day too, charging Everton fans between £31 and £36.

Caporegime
You just know he's the kind of guy that would be screaming 'not the face, not the face' in a ruck..... big fairy!

If you're going to check yourself out at least wait until you're down the tunnel!

Caporegime
You just know he's the kind of guy that would be screaming 'not the face, not the face' in a ruck..... big fairy!

If you're going to check yourself out at least wait until you're down the tunnel!

It's almost as if he wanted to check how damn close to the eye it was and how bad it was in deciding if it's worth staying on the pitch or not, crazy.

Commentators immediately made a joke about how he'd want to check he's still pretty basically, then saw that which confirmed it for them. If I get whacked in the face and I know it's near my eye I certainly want to check how bad it was and where exactly it was in relation to my eye.

Caporegime
It's almost as if he wanted to check how damn close to the eye it was and how bad it was in deciding if it's worth staying on the pitch or not, crazy.

Commentators immediately made a joke about how he'd want to check he's still pretty basically, then saw that which confirmed it for them. If I get whacked in the face and I know it's near my eye I certainly want to check how bad it was and where exactly it was in relation to my eye.

What, the physio couldn't have told him that?

I've had worse injuries taking a dump.

Soldato
Moyes talking about Masuaku

"It was despicable. I've not seen it from him. We like him, he's a really good boy around the club. I've enjoyed him so I'd have to say it is out of character."

Oo-er. That's how rumours start!

Back
Top Bottom