Football Manager 2018

Associate
I'm playing as Newcastle and getting hammered. 5 points from opening 9 games. Then beat United 2 nil straight after a takeover by another tight ******** who also is probably going to replace me with Juande Ramos!

Soldato
Is there a standalone dedi server available yet for the series?

I want to setup a server for a group and let everyone dip and out through the week in realtime as they see fit to change stuff and get ready for matchday or midweek games against AI without the need for me to have the game running all the time :(

Soldato
I'm playing the touch version, finding it a bit more difficult than previous versions but then again no matter what I do I can't keep players fit.

Playing as the spuds, got 4th and semi in cl - usually a clean sweep! It's good that it's more of a challenge

Associate
I've managed to turn it round since that awful start and falling out with pretty much every player. The new board have decided to keep me but have put the club in 100 million debt. Budget from sales has been cut to 60% as the club pays back 825k p/m for the next 9 years! Basically they are worse than Ashley.

On the field all my key players apart from Atsu have perked up after the United win which was then followed by wins over Bournemouth and Southampton. Next up Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.....

Not going to go much further in this save as the takeover is pants and the beta bugs are still biting but the turnaround in form coincided with tinkering with every single instruction from GK distribution to defending indirect free kicks from deep. Spent around 3 hours on tactics and set pieces. That's just for one tactic too.

Soldato
And it's out! Just seen Phil's comments on the SI forums about regen appearances :)

I've got a tough decision - do I stick with my 18 month in Beta Brentford save where I'm certainly holding my own in the Premiership. Or do I start again having made a load of unrealistic edits to a Brentford side and turn their players into world beaters - bear in mind when I pursue this edit save I typically don't play as Brentford, I simply let them run free.

Edit - Scrap that. Just fired up the original Beta save and my little Brentford side just smashed Man City 4-1 :o. Man City were on a terrible run of form and you can now use that form as part of your team talk, which is a great addition. Annoyingly, I downloaded in the in-game editor to mess around with, and although I didn't actually use it, I completely forgot that it sticks around in your save even if you've deleted it... SO now I have to ignore it hovering in the top right corner for the rest of this save!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah I'm not happy with the regens but I like the rest of the game. Much improved match engine (far less goals from crosses) which is a good thing. I'm playing as Havant and Waterlooville and got them into the Vanarama National league in the beta. But I have been sacked 3 times already; it's significantly harder than 17. I'm pondering whether to start a new save myself, and see if the regen appearances are improved overall. I've a feeling some things have been inherited from the beta save.

Soldato
Yeah I'm not happy with the regens but I like the rest of the game. Much improved match engine (far less goals from crosses) which is a good thing. I'm playing as Havant and Waterlooville and got them into the Vanarama National league in the beta. But I have been sacked 3 times already; it's significantly harder than 17. I'm pondering whether to start a new save myself, and see if the regen appearances are improved overall. I've a feeling some things have been inherited from the beta save.

Yeah, they're a little funny looking. Seems as if they haven't made much progress in this regard for a number of years. I'm still playing 2D, and really enjoying it. Never played with a defensive forward before, and it seems to be going well. About to get pipped to Rajkovic from Maccabi Tel Aviv by PSG, which is very annoying. Also, I got an excellent centre back stolen off my toes by Liverpool during the summer window, He was playing well for them but inexplicably was transfer listed in the January window. Bought him but hadn't realised he'd played 1 continental game for his original club at the beginning of the season and now he can't play for me until next season :(

Soldato
Might be the first FM since 2006 I might skip, or leave until it's well under £20. Can't really afford/justify its cost at the moment.

Is it a big improvement on FM17? Barely had more than 2 games on FM16/17 where I managed more than 4-5 seasons.

Soldato
Might be the first FM since 2006 I might skip, or leave until it's well under £20. Can't really afford/justify its cost at the moment.

Is it a big improvement on FM17? Barely had more than 2 games on FM16/17 where I managed more than 4-5 seasons.
I've been missing every other release since FM14, so the last version I played was FM16. The matches in FM18 don't look much different from that version, so I might leave it for a while at least.

Soldato
I’ve only touched it and just part way through a pre season but match setup looks a little nicer. Team cohesion and the player mood stuff is interesting if seeming a little on the hair trigger for players to react. New layout seems ok. Not mind blowing but different enough for me not to resent the purchase.

If I manage to ever get some play time (work is unforgiving) i’ll Pass on some more feedback for you.

Man of Honour
I'll be honest, I'm disappointed by it. And for me to say that, well, I've surprised myself. I feel underwhelmed.

The user interface is clunky, allthough improvements have been made. The regen graphics are dreadful. There seems to be a texture bug, which was reported last year, and still hasn't been fixed. It looks like every regen is wearing makeup! Plus they are smaller than last year, so they are not clear. The match engine is better, but overall the game is more difficult. There is a lot of interaction via the Dynamics, which is quite good, but it adds another layer of complexity to the game. The revamped scouting is a minefield. Not fun at all. Lower league football is really tough as a result (as it may be realistically). Every player scouted costs around £900. So scouting is for big clubs only. It means you are left diving into a small pot of unscouted players.

I think this year its very much a case of two steps forward and one step back. Maybe not even two steps forward.. I'm not overly enjoying it at the moment but it is very new, and there are still a lot of bugs to squash. Maybe some of these issues will be addressed but overall for me, I feel the longetivity with those god awful regens will put me right off. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Soldato
It goes like this for me:

First hour - whats all this bloated crap they have added? Why has this changed? Why did they do that?

Third hour - WHOOO IVE SIGNED ROSSI! LEYTON GUNNING FOR THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

It's far from perfect and i've a load of gripes with it, but it does soak up a load of hours.

I will say that the match overview /2d view and tactic creation is far better than it's been before.

Soldato
Will be buying this at some point, it I'm going to be looking to buy a laptop to play this at work during quiet shifts. It'll most likely be something second hand so I can get something better, simply because the laptop will be for FM at work and that only.

I'll be trying to get something with an intel i5, but I'm curious if anyone in here is running standard integrated graphics and how it is? I have a 6/7 year old laptop which I've played Fm16 on in the past though it was very very slow. I may look into the cost of upgrading this laptop just as another option. I'd be looking to spend no more than £400 absolute maximum. I've found a lenovo V110 with an Intel core i5- 7200U 2.5Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD for £380. Seems a decent option though brand new:)

For this year my plan is to do a lower league management save and obviously get as far as I can. 4/5 countries loaded maximum with large database, with only England playable.

Anyone any suggestions? :)

Back
Top Bottom