• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

for photoshop work/Minor games/37" HDTV output....which card?

Associate
my pc spec will have this motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H AMD 785G (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

which has an Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 GPU

should i bother upgrading to a 4870 for games such as the sims3/swat4/battlefield2

no top end games here,its mostly a photoshop pc.my xbox takes care of games i wish to play
thank you

Associate
OP
im not fussy.chances are,if i have photoshop open,i ll have music on.if im playing games,they will be loud.
;)

just noticed the price,any other cards that are abit cheaper?
my build is already at 600, would it be worth sticking in a 512mb card? or just use intergrated?

Last edited:
Associate
4850 will suffice nicely -laughs at HD content, plays COD4 nicely, and I put BF2 on a few weeks ago and it just never slows down - constant 60FPS at 1080p [although you have to mod the startup file to enable widescreen ratios :eek: ]

There are passive 4850s out there but I don't think OCUK stock them - if in doubt, a TRad2 and a 120mm or a couple of 80mm fans will make it much, much quieter.

4850 clicky:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-179-SP

Associate
If you aren't playing recent games, then the 512mb one would be OK I reckon - I'm happy with it and I dip into Crysis Warhead from time to time. It's not terribly fast [ avg about 25fps, dips to below 10 if it gets busy on max detail@1368x768] for Warhead, but it handles most other stuff with aplomb.

The TRad is a third party cooler:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-057-TR

Basically you buy that and a 120mm fan [or a pair of 80mm fans] - it's far quieter than the OEM cooler, it keeps the GPU cooler than the OEM cooler, and it completely invalidates your GPUs warranty :cool:

Fitting is fairly straightforward, but if you like your warranties then I'd put up with the stock fan on the graphics card. I'm an IT engineer by trade so have no such qualms ;)

Back
Top Bottom