For those who love their SUVs

Associate
I'm intrigued by what might attract anyone to own one of these hideously unatravive monsters. Might I be correct that their owners need them for sport and utility purposes that are impossible to conduct in smaller cars? It fascinates me which sport might need such huge vehicles. Is there a sport that expects sportsmen to bring the sports pitch along them them?

What utilities do they get used for; and how frequently are such utilities actually required? Every day or once in a blue moon?

Soldato
You're right. Your generation basically failed us all. The housing market, the environment, the political system. I wonder what you old retired folk did so wrong.

Soldato
I can’t stand them personally but my wife has an EPace and loves them because of the increased ride height. Don’t know if her being 5ft has anything to do with it.

Soldato
They tend to be thought of as rugged, spacious and safe, especially since they typically have higher ride heights and tall front ends. They are practical therefore as an all round vehicle and good for lugging kids and clobber about. Many offer 7 seats too which used to be referred to as MPVs but the lines are blurred now.

I'm not sure why people get so annoyed by them even if it is a mum on a school run in a big SUV. Maybe on weekends the Dad runs a football team and lugs goals and equipment about, more kids and a set of golf clubs?

Associate
OP
I was looking at a 3 series touring but am now seriously considering an auto X1 25d M-sport. I want it for towing and the accessibility of the boot. Plus, I like them.
I've no idea what an auto X1 25d M-sport might be. What do you need to tow? Something more than a trailer full of crap bought in a DFS sale to the tip?

Soldato
Such a tired argument. Millions of people in the world have cars they don't "need". Most sports cars have capabilities which cannot be explored legally on public roads, and only a small percentage of owners actually take them on track. Personally, when I had an SUV I used its capabilities almost every day, and it was reassuring to know that if I encountered a flood or poor quality road I wouldn't get stuck.

I'm currently driving a saloon because I got it very cheap and it saves me a lot of money in fuel. If I'd have been able to get a decent SUV of similar age / mileage for the same price, I'd have gone for it without a second's thought.

Associate
I think the OP is focussing on the Sports element too much and being a bit facetious with it too. More sUv's are used for their utilitarian requirements. We use ours for our two big dogs and the debris that comes along with a child. We had an estate before but all the newer models have a sloping rear end which isn't the best for dogs. A pickup would be better though, isolate the smelly mutts from the cabin!

Don't forget the feeling the drivers get lording it over people like the OP :D.

Soldato
I'm intrigued by what might attract anyone to own one of these hideously unatravive monsters. Might I be correct that their owners need them for sport and utility purposes that are impossible to conduct in smaller cars? It fascinates me which sport might need such huge vehicles. Is there a sport that expects sportsmen to bring the sports pitch along them them?

What utilities do they get used for; and how frequently are such utilities actually required? Every day or once in a blue moon?

100% agree.

Bloody hate the things, look ugly, status symbol keeping up with the Joneses and just trying to fit in.

Soldato
I regularly fill mine up with all sorts of junk for weekends away, and if anyone knows of an old mans fiesta or Honda Jazz that will tow a 1.5 ton caravan I'm all ears.

Associate
OP
Can there be anything more entertaining than to watch SUVs struggle into supermarket parking spaces between other SUVs, then watch their owners struggle to get in and out of them? It's even more entertaining when the owner of an SUV parked next to them has a row about the door touching their car as they try to alight.

Soldato
People have this thing where they assume they are safer because they are higher up, but they aren't. If you have a hard smash in one, it's going roof first in to the ditch.

Then there are the "sporty" SUVs, which are a car but worse in every single way. Large, heavy, expensive to run, poor ride quality and still slow and handle poorly.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Unfortunately I am now looking at one because I've been asked to acquire something that can fit three comfortably in the back and I'm not driving a van or a Citroen.

So ultimately, there's not much choice other than an SUV, and I'm no fan. I'd take a large estate any day of the week.

Soldato
We have a small SUV, a Tiguan. Bough 5 years ago. I kind of like it, but certainly don't love it. Dislike the high driving position.

It was bought to replace a Passat Estate, as both kids had left push chairs behind (youngest was 3) and so we didn't need such a big boot. The head room was handy for doing up rear seatbelts, and it makes it less cramped feeling in the back.

The Passat used to bottom out a bit on the track to wife's parents' farm, so the clearance was a factor.

We also occasionally tow a horse box with it, though prefer to borrow father in law's Kia Sorrento as that's a bit more of an appropriate size.

Residuals have been impressive. Bought for £8500 five years ago, it's probably worth £5k now after adding 60,000 miles.

Back
Top Bottom