For those who love their SUVs

Associate
Please don't do this, the 3 Series is an excellent car and the X1 is a very dated car built on the Mini Countryman platform. It doesn't even get the brilliant 8 speed gearbox as it's an FWD platform.

Get an X3 instead if you must have an SUV but it does little the 3 Series touring doesn't do better.

My research tells me all 25d X1’s are auto and xdrive which is an 8 speed box and AWD affair. I am no car expert but I drove a 2016 main dealer xline 20d xdrive (auto) and I liked the way it drove. As I said, i’m no expert.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My research tells me all 25d X1’s are auto and xdrive which is an 8 speed box and AWD affair.

But it is not the ZF8HP gearbox found in most of the rest of the BMW range, it's a different box and not as good. It is not full time awd and is an fwd platform with the engine mounted differently, hence the excellent ZF8 will not fit.

You can tell when you get in as it has an old style shift lever not an electronic one.

If you're looking at older ones then the equivalent 3 Series is not as good as the current model but I still reckon the X3 is worth a look. It's proper AWD with the better gearbox.

Soldato
Hardly any road cars are proper full time AWD anymore. You need a Subaru for that.

The AWD systems on most SUVs are largely pointless, you can't offroad with them. Or even make it through a moderately muddy field without getting stuck of destroying the dif.

Associate
My dads got a 19 plate tiguan 1.5 auto.

He had previously had a kuga and was going to get another but the mobility price on them shot through the roof and the vw was only £500 advanced payment.

I like it, its got tons of space, brilliant on petrol and has all the bells and whistles.
The height of it makes getting in and out easier for him.

Soldato
I'm surprised you need the Internet when you've got I5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 16Gb Crucial Ballistix / Zotac Amp! GTX980Ti / MX100 256GB / EVO 250GB / EVGA G2 650W PSU / Phanteks Enthoo Pro to keep you occupied, whatever they might be. Have you tried having relationships with humans yet?

School holidays?

This is overclockers. If you don't know the clockspeed of each of those components, then troll harder somewhere else.

And I use my SUV to have a bigger SUV than your dad. /thread.

Associate
OP
School holidays?

This is overclockers. If you don't know the clockspeed of each of those components, then troll harder somewhere else.

And I use my SUV to have a bigger SUV than your dad. /thread.
WHAT is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—

No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

How on earth would anyone imagine that a knowledge of the clockspeed of anything could possibly be superior to comprehending nature?

I've been on this forum for two days and have so far mostly encountered wind up merchants who I seriously doubt are able to wind up a clock, let alone know what speed it runs at. God help you if you of you ever get sectioned and have to explain what motivates you to a psychiatrist.

Associate
Why does the older generation think people just stare at computer screens all day long and never experience nature?.

You insulted the guy who tows a caravan when i would argue caravaning is one of the best forms of experiencing nature as you tend to pitch up in a nice grassed area, have breakfast and brews sat outside just taking in the views.

People have lives, people have jobs and can't just say "right lets phone work to say i'm not coming in, im going to the lakes instead".

Get a grip.

Just jump in your little eco box driving 25mph everywhere and get upset when people over take you as you tunnel vision your way through red lights and zebra crossings, its ok tho, you are taking in the nature.

Man of Honour
Ignoring the obvious troll that started this thread and answering normally: because I wanted a hatchback with a reasonable amount of room in the hatch. Most actual hatchbacks have cramped space and small fuel tanks. The couple of hatchback saloons are too long, and I didn't want an estate. That left SUV/crossover as all that was left. My SUV is permanent four-wheel drive (after seventeen years driving AWD cars I wanted that as well) and _can_ go off-road. Albeit not well. But it has the pack, along with hill descent.

Also I'm old, and my back likes the slightly higher seat.

Last edited:
Associate
But it is not the ZF8HP gearbox found in most of the rest of the BMW range, it's a different box and not as good. It is not full time awd and is an fwd platform with the engine mounted differently, hence the excellent ZF8 will not fit.

You can tell when you get in as it has an old style shift lever not an electronic one.

If you're looking at older ones then the equivalent 3 Series is not as good as the current model but I still reckon the X3 is worth a look. It's proper AWD with the better gearbox.

I have also been thinking about a 3 series. I really fancy a 335d. Very different to an X1, I know!!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I bought my Range Rover as a tip car - albeit it has grown on me massively as it is simply a wonderful place to be and quite relaxing to drive around. I absolutely didn't want a van but do occasionally need to transport various building materials around as well as taking rubble etc to the local tip. The RR is about as perfect a vehicle for this as I can think of...

Regarding it falling over, I've driven it as hard as I dare down tight country lanes and the tyres seem to give up long before the car would ever roll over.

Man of Honour
Regarding it falling over, I've driven it as hard as I dare down tight country lanes and the tyres seem to give up long before the car would ever roll over.

The way some talk you'd think it was a regular thing - you'd be driving a long and an SUV would just tip over for no apparent reason or come tumbling around a corner.

To be fair some SUVs are pretty hideous in just about every way but there are plenty of vehicles of this nature which aren't.

Back
Top Bottom