for US only product

Associate
I purchased a lens from Jessops who always say their product is from the UK only, though the new lens we just purchased says for US only on the box! surely there is no difference in the lens but shouldn't they be selling for the UK only models? and would it matter if I sent it back to Sony in the future if any problems occur.

Soldato
Sony would likely say it's a grey import and not valid for support from Sony UK. Is there anyway to check the serial number with Sony UK to see if it's an official UK import and supported by them?

Associate
OP
Got a message back from Sony

Code:
Thank you for contacting Sony Support regarding your SEL18135 Lens.

With reference to your enquiry, there are several aspect to look at this matter.

From technical point of view, this Lens model is compatible with European Cameras.

From distribution perspective, if it is written to be used in USA only, this means that this lot was direct to the USA market, and having this product outside its region can cause a lot of concerns.

Finally, UK products will have the same sticker stating for UK use only for the same reasons mentioned above.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.   

Thank you for your inquiry.

I have replied asking how will things go if anything actually happens to the lens after the 1st year of warranty, in this case I know in the 1st year I can take it back to the retailer I purchased it from. It's the 2nd year I don't know as of yet until Sony reply.

Soldato
What will happen is Sony will either say it's a grey import and they won't touch it for any warranty issues (this is more likely I think with Sony). Alternatively, they may say they will repair it if any issues arise, but it will be at your cost, ie there's effectively no warranty.

Sony really have to get back to you to tell you if it's covered by a warranty in the UK. I woulnd't be surprised if what you're told today might change a year or two down the line if it ever turns out you need a warranty repair/replacement.

If it turns out Sony UK won't support it, I would take it back to the retailer for a refund on the basis that they are selling grey imports without any manufacturer warranty, ie it's been mis-sold to you.

Back
Top Bottom