Forced upgrade

Associate
I remember coming here like a decade ago. You guy were all awesome in helping with my first build. While I have built my last few computers I haven't done anything in a good while. Knowledge deffo not up to date.

Anyways my motherboard fried and because it's dated it's prob now time to rebuild.

Things I need,
Ram
CPU
Motherboard.

Budget £800

Only thing to take into consideration is my current gfx card as I haven't quite used it to death. Asus 6gb 1060.

So yeah if we can incorporate that card would be swell. I need nothing else.

Super thanks in advance

Soldato
If you can wait, Ryzen 2 will be out in a couple of weeks & if you believe the hype AMD may well be onto a winner. If not:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £710.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
Yeah I got some advice from a friend who suggested to wait also. Ryzen 2 and build looks more likely. Will be my first time with amd.

If you can wait, Ryzen 2 will be out in a couple of weeks & if you believe the hype AMD may well be onto a winner. If not:

Total: £710.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
@Redemerosha

if you cant wait,

BB CODE
Total: £660.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

better board and 8 core intel !

x570 boards are slightly better then z390 (least from Gigabyte/aorus and asus point of view - actually from asus its miles better)

@Plec - no Active chipset cooling ;)

Soldato
If you have to buy now, don't waste £700 when you are using a GTX 1060. You can get a Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB DDR4, and a good. B450 board for <£300. You will see zero difference in performance, but have £400 left to spend when you want/need to upgrade something else. :)

Soldato
@Journey

shame its gone now as wouldn't waste cash on good b450 when entry x570 are better for same its prices (and no stupid active chipset cooling) , that or 2600 prices will fall nicely when ryzen 3000 stocks and prices normalise

OP- depends how often you upgrade GPUs , as above, keep 1060 for a few years and ryzen 2600 will be fine , specially at 1080p 60hz . plan to upgrade your GPU and will notice 2600 will hold back performance - but then again you have to have a monitor that would take advantage of it .

What was your current rig CPU?

will have to say a big thank you to Mr trump though, bring down AMD stock down by 7% odd - just got old man to whack down second lot of investment into them , 6% drop made a great deal of help :D

Soldato
shame its gone now as wouldn't waste cash on good b450 when entry x570 are better for same its prices (and no stupid active chipset cooling) , that or 2600 prices will fall nicely when ryzen 3000 stocks and prices normalise

Sorry not following you there, £79.99 will get you a nice MSI B450 board.

I also said if they need to buy now, since presently they have a dead system. I'd hardly call spending £200 on a board and CPU a waste, as you could still sell them for £120+ when the Zen2 CPU's land. Again though is it worth is, unless that GPU gets replaced, hardly. Might as well wait until it is changed, by which point Zen3 might be out, and the £400 you saved could be put to good use. We all know that the prices are going to tumble from both players over the next several months.

So again, don't waste cash on the Intel kit, you can't future proof, but you can easily waste money.

Soldato
ryzen and intel current ones dont really need to future proof them at all - 6 core system will last just as long as 7 yr old i7's , specially with DX12 - gain longer life

Plus both platforms aren't future proof, AM4 ends 2020 and intel ends in December with 10 core which has been known for over a year - 2 yr cycle with them and adding extra cores changes pin location . also its the board vendors that make a board future proof, I expect no A320 board would run 16 core with AVX , or even B450 for 24/7

if OP is going to stream, edit or perform geomapping then understandable for future upgrades , @Journey have you ever future proofed your system ? I ran first gen I7 since 2009 till 7th gen/ Ryzen purely for the fact Intel/AMD handed me the chips- would have still carried on with it most like with 1440p gaming
next NVMe format makes x570/z4** redundant as well which is a pain ! and then DDR5

List above is showing OP can get better Intel for cheaper . Prices of Second hand ryzens will drop hard

Soldato
Plus both platforms aren't future proof, AM4 ends 2020 and intel ends in December with 10 core which has been known for over a year - 2 yr cycle with them and adding extra cores changes pin location

You might want to re-read what I said - "you can't future proof, but you can easily waste money."

Back to the OP, if you MUST buy now then getting an Intel setup could prove to be a waste of money, we'll know in 10 days time, or maybe a little longer for independent evaluation of the new AMD products.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice. In work ATM but will post current build later. Maybe just getting a replacement board for now then go Ryzen at a later date. I do like the idea from what I am hearing of how easy it is to upgrade a Ryzen build. It's something I want to move towards anyways.

Associate
If you are reluctantly force into an upgrade and need something now, then save a few hundred and go a Ryzen (maybe R7 1700 for cheap). Which will pair nicely with your 1060

If you happy to spend you £800 for the best and planning for GPU upgrade, let's say a year later for high end (RTX 2080/Radeon VII). Then spending lots of money for a 9700K may not be a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom