Ford Focus Brake Caliper Hex Key.

Soldato
Helping a family member change his brake pads. Have done plenty of my own in the past, but never a Ford. Did a bit of research on this model, which I believe its a 08 Focus Se or similar base model.

Having watched a few YouTube vids to familiarise myself with the setup, everything is exactly the same process. Pin, pads, guide bolts etc.
However the caliper is held on with a tool I've never had before. It's a wrench Hex Allen key, which is weird to me, what's wrong with a bolt?
I can hardly use an standard Allen key as it would be too weak and awkward to say the least so now have to go and buy a wrench Allen key..

Was hoping that someone who had this car can confirm this is the case on UK models and that it is a 7mm Hex?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-5137-7mm-Brake-Pieces/dp/B004MLH7D6
Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
earlier thread with discussion on hex/torx drive brands too.
... I normally prep with some plus-gas penetrating oil too, days before, if you can get to it. PPPPP

Soldato
I have a Focus -buy the right tool. It makes the job so much easier. While there undo the bleed nipples if you can - they snapped off on my 10 reg and had to buy two new calipers.

Soldato
OP
I have a Focus -buy the right tool. It makes the job so much easier. While there undo the bleed nipples if you can - they snapped off on my 10 reg and had to buy two new calipers.

Snapped off how? I hadn't planned to bleed them. I was going to open the fluid cap in the engine bay and and compress the brake with a C clamp to loosen the pressure.
Some might no agree but this has never failed to work in the past.

Soldato
Just done mine on the Mondeo this morning.
Give the slider pins a good clean.
Scrape and wire brush the crap out of the caliper sliding areas.
Ceramic grease on the slider pins, and pad/caliper contact area.
Did the discs as well, 150nm on the bracket bolts on mine silly tight.

I just used a G clamp to push the piston back as well.

Buying new calipers because a bleed screw snaps is just lazy, drill, retap and fit new bleed screw 10 minute job.

Soldato
I use a breaker bar on seized/rusty bolts rather than a ratchet.

I had a mk 1.5 focus for many years and found the extended Allen key I linked to really useful, access is awkward.

This. Annoyingly I didn't have a 7mm tool in my 200 piece kit either, so had to end up buying one.

Halfords for you, lucky i had a set from an old tool kit.

I prefer proper ceramic brake grease, as copper grease is not suited for high temperatures and therefore has much shorter durability.

Yeah is better, but not everyone knows about it as when you go into most car part shops they will just give you copper grease.

If access is hard turn the wheel while it on axle stands.

Associate
That doesn't look like it would break an rusted or seized bolt. Where the power of a ratchet would. Am I wrong?
They shouldn’t be on F’in tight and if they are I wouldn’t use a pull/push motion on the ratchet, hold it with one hand and with the palm of you hand hit the end of the ratchet. confined space and lots of pointy hurty bits and all that.
For the spring clip use mole grips

Back
Top Bottom