Ford Mondeo

Associate
OP
ok, so its got steel wheels all round, no fog lights, so yes thats basic spec trim "edge"
the parking sensors look retro fitted
the CD player is a normal Ford one

MOT history looks ok, apart from one of the wheels needs changing as its distorted. and what Howard said, make sure Gearbox fluid etc is all done on time, and there's invoices to match the stamps in book

i wouldn't pay that much for the Edge spec personally

thanks a lot for sharing your view. I did a quick check on auto trader For similar cars but older and titanium and titanium spec and they are same price or more expensive. Similar
i think your being ripped off really, look at this, top spec for about the same money ?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110158523526?make=Ford&transmission=Automatic&model=Mondeo&sort=price-asc&year-to=2015&postcode=ox394je&fuel-type=Diesel&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2014&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&maximum-

mileage=60000&page=1

If its got steel AND alloy wheels, you've got to answer WHY ?
id walk away personally

if you give the link so we can run some checks ? we got a better idea then

Yeah this is a good deal indeed. Need to re evaluate.

Soldato
I can't believe how absolutely insane car prices have got. I only paid £10k for my Titanium X Sport Powershift (top spec, with optional extras) in 2014!

Similar here, I got my 2.5T Titanium X Sport (with Nav, ACC, Sunroof etc) for £9k when it was 3 years old, and a 2L Ecoboost Titanium X Sport a couple of years later for my dad for £8.5k. I couldn't imagine spending that much in 2021 on an Edge trim...

Associate
OP
Similar here, I got my 2.5T Titanium X Sport (with Nav, ACC, Sunroof etc) for £9k when it was 3 years old, and a 2L Ecoboost Titanium X Sport a couple of years later for my dad for £8.5k. I couldn't imagine spending that much in 2021 on an Edge trim...

yeah, maybe because precisa have gone up eight the pandemic and chips shortage. Don’t know. But I am not going now to buy that car. My top budget is 10K ish and I have seen some nice cars and deals. For example these two:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...adius=20&make=Ford&include-delivery-option=on

I wonder for this one how many miles can a car like this do? Normally I use everything till it falls apart. My Nissan altera from 2003 went for scrap this week after failing MOT. Repair was £500 not economical so went down the scrap. Got £290 from them. It cost me 6y ago £700 and has never let me down once. It has cost me after deducting the £290, ~£6/month.
It would be nice that the next car like the mondeo I am looking at could last at least 10y or do another 100K miles minimum.

The other one is this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110158523526?make=Ford&transmission=Automatic&model=Mondeo&sort=price-asc&year-to=2015&postcode=ox394je&fuel-type=Diesel&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2014&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&maximum-mileage=60000&page=1

What do you guys think? I think it is indeed a better value compared to the edge. I thought edge was close to top of the line in the previous model.

Soldato
I'd try to get by with a banger at the moment to be honest, these prices are stupid. The father in law paid £1600 about 4 years ago for an 11 plate Titanium 2.0 TDCi 163BHp Powershift with 90k ish on the clock. Sure these are lower mileage but not enough to warrant £8-£10k.

Associate
Bloody hell, three years ago that'd be a £4k car tops :eek:

Yep, prices are a complete mess. I mess around on autotrader constantly and over the past 18 months things have gone mental. I was remember checking out Minis that were about 3 years old at the time (now 5) and they were about 5k cheaper. Utter madness.

May aswell buy something with 12 months MOT and wait it out.

Soldato
yeah, maybe because precisa have gone up eight the pandemic and chips shortage. Don’t know. But I am not going now to buy that car. My top budget is 10K ish and I have seen some nice cars and deals. For example these two:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...adius=20&make=Ford&include-delivery-option=on

I wonder for this one how many miles can a car like this do? Normally I use everything till it falls apart. My Nissan altera from 2003 went for scrap this week after failing MOT. Repair was £500 not economical so went down the scrap. Got £290 from them. It cost me 6y ago £700 and has never let me down once. It has cost me after deducting the £290, ~£6/month.
It would be nice that the next car like the mondeo I am looking at could last at least 10y or do another 100K miles minimum.

The other one is this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...onesearchad=Used&maximum-mileage=60000&page=1

What do you guys think? I think it is indeed a better value compared to the edge. I thought edge was close to top of the line in the previous model.
In the current climate I would have paid the £500 used car prices are ridiculous at the minute so £500 for a years motoring and hopefully the current situation to ease would have been a cheap investment!

Associate
OP
In the current climate I would have paid the £500 used car prices are ridiculous at the minute so £500 for a years motoring and hopefully the current situation to ease would have been a cheap investment!
Yep, I thought that and actually was really close to say yes to the mechanic but the thing is that something could show up again. In a couple of months brake pads, next year tyres, there was also a oil leak (included in the £500), been topping up oil, left suspension was essentially broken, the inside was by now completely used or in other words wear out.
It was a good runner though.
My initial thought was to get another one. Initial plan LOL but my partner is saying to get a better one.
I have seen some interesting one around £1K but my only fear is corrosion and oil leak. There were actually some interesting choices. When I get time will put it here. Will think about your suggestions and investigate the other ones I just mentioned.
The thing is that I need a car. Although I might do 25 miles a day I might occasionally do 150 to 250 miles in a weekend.
It would be nice to have a better car but if you guys are saying the prices are ridiculous well I need to think about. I am not sure if they will come down. All this is because of chip shortages I believe. Like with the houses, prices now went up but this is a different monster.
I wonder how much would the gray mondeo above cost if the prices weren’t crazy like you were saying?
It is top spec apparently and with low mileage. How much do you think it would cost?

Soldato
Yep, I thought that and actually was really close to say yes to the mechanic but the thing is that something could show up again. In a couple of months brake pads, next year tyres, there was also a oil leak (included in the £500), been topping up oil, left suspension was essentially broken, the inside was by now completely used or in other words wear out.
It was a good runner though.
My initial thought was to get another one. Initial plan LOL but my partner is saying to get a better one.
I have seen some interesting one around £1K but my only fear is corrosion and oil leak. There were actually some interesting choices. When I get time will put it here. Will think about your suggestions and investigate the other ones I just mentioned.
The thing is that I need a car. Although I might do 25 miles a day I might occasionally do 150 to 250 miles in a weekend.
It would be nice to have a better car but if you guys are saying the prices are ridiculous well I need to think about. I am not sure if they will come down. All this is because of chip shortages I believe. Like with the houses, prices now went up but this is a different monster.
I wonder how much would the gray mondeo above cost if the prices weren’t crazy like you were saying?
It is top spec apparently and with low mileage. How much do you think it would cost?
Never get this logic, you could spend 8k on a second hand poverty spec mondeo and it need brakes and discs in a years time they are consumables. In the current climate £500 to get a known car through an mot is a no brainier for me.

Associate
OP
Well essentially if you think about it, if I get three changed that’s what, £250 (the car you are going to buy needs to have tyres in good condition), brake pads no idea but maybe £200 (the car you are going to buy needs to have them in good condition) plus the £500 of repair plus the £300 from scrap that gets you £1250. You put another 1K for deposit you got £2250 for deposit and if you price point is 8K you are going to ask credit for £5750.
Thats my line of thought might be wrong.

another guardroom guys. What you think about the 1.8 TDCI 130PS engine?
I am looking at other options since the advice some gave was to look for a cheaper one:

Came across this one and it looks nice. The MOT as well. What is your opinion? Maybe it is better to go to a cheaper option for now.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...=Mondeo&radius=30&sort=relevance&year-to=2021

Associate
2009 2.0 tdci tit x sport estate auto old style box. paid just under 5k 9 years ago,. few niggles but still reliable and extremely comfortable. looked at powershifts but as said need the fluids service on the box every 40k. very economical 45/50 average.
be careful they can still throw big bills if unlucky, ive had a air leak into the diesel system that was a bugger to find and took me a while, and i had to recode a secondhand ecu due to ford sticking it behind the washer bottle in the passenger wheel arch, oh also the usual broken cable to starter in the harness.
in fairness car has covered just shy of 150k and still keeps going so looking at prices will probably keep it going a while longer.
on the flip side a friend has just part exed hei 2016 manual mondeo titanium into the dealer because at 35k they told him he had a clutch problem they couldnt sort out, (words were never had this problem etc) he took a 2016 cmax 1.5 tit and added 1k to it.

son in law had the 1.8tdci tit estate and to be honest he fealt it lacked a lot of power and struggled

Associate
OP
Decided to go with the Mondeo titanium from 2016 with 108K miles essentially done on motorway. New tyres, service, change of direction bulbs, painting from driver/passenger door to the front - there were some ‘small damage, in the painting, you could tell causes by small ‘rocks’ maybe because of driving on the motorway, full history, 3mo warranty. It belonged to a regional manager from Lloyds. If we discount the stuff that was done in the car, maybe one can say the car has cost around what 7.5K or so.
Thanks everyone for your inputs and advice. Much better car compared with the base one I initially posted.

Soldato
I had two cars with 2.0 tdci (mondeo and xtype) and both needed a new clutch and flywheel around 100-120k. The mondeo went through a auxiliary drive belt and tensioner and alternators twice too I think. I scrapped it in the end at 179k so it was a good car overall mind.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your comment. Since you mentioned flywheel am I right to say the car you had was automatic? I forgot to say that it is manual transmission. 2L diesel, 180PS.

Soldato
Clutch and flywheel is for manual transmission. If yours has lived most of its life on motorways then I’d expect your clutch and flywheel to last way beyond 120k miles.

Soldato
One thing to bear in mind: 2016 was the crossover year that Ford started to replace it’s rather rubbish Sync 2 infotainment system with the much improved Sync 3 system, which also adds Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility.

Associate
OP
Clutch and flywheel is for manual transmission. If yours has lived most of its life on motorways then I’d expect your clutch and flywheel to last way beyond 120k miles.

I see. Yes, the stand said it was mainly on motorways l. But who knows. They said as if they bought from Lloyds they had leading plan and after x years they sell the cars.

One thing to bear in mind: 2016 was the crossover year that Ford started to replace it’s rather rubbish Sync 2 infotainment system with the much improved Sync 3 system, which also adds Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility.

Interesting. I noticed the car I disuse had sync engraved somewhere. The touchscreen was really responsive and the navigation as well. Will check this when I pick up the car.

Soldato

I bought my current car on 120k "Motorway miles" clutch started slipping 5k miles after purchase :p

At 108k personally i'd be putting £800 to one side for a clutch. If it's the engine I think it is it's cam belt is due in about 12k miles too.

Associate
OP
I will be putting in here the specification when I get to collect the car.
How long did you buy the car?

Associate
7bsNPMU.jpg

My thoughts on the Powershift Gearbox right now. I could cover the £2352 but I just know they will say the TCM needs replacing too.

I have a Mondeo Titanium X Sport. It's in beautiful condition inside and out - yet I will probably have to scrap it because of this, as I will be unable to pass this on to anyone else.

Bah Humbug!

Back
Top Bottom