1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Racing Puma - views / experience ?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Sneaky Peaky, 18 May 2006.

1. Sneaky Peaky

Wise Guy

Thought I'd start another thread as wanted to get some specific feedback on these. Just showed Mrs S a picture of these and she has fallen in love with them. Looks like I could pick one up in budget although slightly older than I wanted - but also something I wouldn't be too ashamed of driving :D

I remember clarkson or someone driving these and being quite impressed..whats the general view - pros and cons etc - expensive for the age though I guess..

Cheers again...we're getting there !

2. paradigm

Caporegime

Sits back and awaits Sam.

They really are fun cars to drive (if my passenger ride in sams was anything to go by)

3. timbob

Mobster

Awesome cars, handle fantastically, go well, stop well, look the dogs etc.

They are expensive, but very rare, so hold their value well. No reason not to really!

4. M0T

Mobster

Didn't it win car of the year the year before the focus first won it?

Very good cars

5. olv

Soldato

from what sam has said they seem wallet cripplingly expensive to run for what they are (150bhp, fwd hatch) but they do look great and seem like loads of fun. i'd love to have a go

6. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Consider a regular Puma. 80% of the Racing Puma ability, but much easier to run, better as a daily driver, and more suitable for the wife.

Sam loves his Puma but it costs an extortionate amount of money to run for what is, pretty colour and trick suspension aside, simply a 150bhp Puma.

Do you really want the hassle of £500 brake overhauls etc etc etc when you can get almost all the good Puma fun from a regular 1.7?

7. Conanius

Capodecina

as a regular puma owner I can definately recommend them :) just make sure if you dont get a racing puma, get a 1.7 VCT one, 120 something bhp standard, and if your after a bit more umpf Replacement Panel Filter, ECU Remap, Manifold, and cat back exhaust get you 20 ish bhp, which isnt far of racing puma power.

Also remember racing pumas on paper look much faster in a straight line, but in reality the fact that you need 3rd for 60 unless you like hitting the limiter means the 0-60 is artificially high :)

8. Scottland

Capodecina

Your budget is £7.5k right? I think I'm right in saying that you'll need more than that for a "good" FRP. Plus as others have said, running costs for things like brakes and suspension is much higher than the normal Puma.

0-60 for a normal Puma is about 8.7, for an FRP its 7.9 (IIRC) its not exaxtly worth the extra money really considering the normal Puma a really good drive too.

9. Mr_Sukebe

Man of Honour

Pumas are vastly underated cars because they don't kick out 500hp and thus aren't that impressive on paper. Back in the real world they handle great and on real roads are a hoot to drive.
    Go check one one.
    Personally I'd question the value of the Racing Puma, simply because it's cost puts it into the category of some much more expensive machinery.

10. Sneaky Peaky

Wise Guy

Thanks guys - great advice, will check out normal pumas as well - what's the best model to look out for ?

11. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Go for something like a 1.7 Thunder.

12. Tesla

Capodecina

I think that's the best spec Puma about, I'm pretty sure they didn't do a Ghia. Puma Ghia just doesn't seem right anyway.

Doesn't the Thunder have leather, well, most of them? Nicer alloys too?

13. aztechnology

Mobster

Everytime someone mentions a puma looks good it makes me smile. I know, each to his own and all that, but the look like a Ka got stuck in the garage door and got a bit stretched when pulling away.

OP.

If your Mrs' goes for one, I would think that the exotics are not money well spent. And if this is in instead of a open top, (as per the other thread) you will miss the sun in the summer (it's worth it just for the 2 days :) )

14. Sneaky Peaky

Wise Guy

She wants a blue one :rolleyes:

Looks like the Thunder is grey or silver ?

What's next best ?

btw really appreciate the help - saving me hours of googling :cool:

15. Beepcake

Mobster

A Thunder and a respray/vinyl wrap? :)

16. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Right pain, perhaps try,

Foot

Put

Down

?

Mark

17. F355

Mobster

The FRP is a very good car nobody can deny. It handles well and stops well and its 'quick'. Worth the money though? Only if you take into account that when you come to sell you won't lose much (exept the 1000's it cost to run :p )

If I wanted a Puma I would have a 1.7 Thunder as Fox suggests in that dark grey colour. :D They are definatly girls cars though.

18. Scottland

Capodecina

They didn't do a blue one after 2000 I don't think, aside from the FRP.

Thunder is the best spec, but not all of them had leather and I'm not sure what else it had as standard.

Knowledge Base

19. Sneaky Peaky

Wise Guy

Thanks for the link :)

I tell you what, she'll be getting a reliant robin at this rate ;)

20. Scottland

Capodecina

The Millenniums are quite nice, as they had leather recaro seats - but they're bright yellow. Maybe she'll like that? :p