Ford S-Max rocker cover/ignition coil issue

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

Just wondering how big an issue the following may be? It's a Ford S-Max petrol 2.0 ecoboost 240bhp.

Travelling up the motorway the other day we suddently saw smoke from the back and lost power. It started misfiring and running rough. We pulled off the motorway and awaited breakdown. Their initial diagnosis was coil pack no.3, however then the chap noticed fresh oil spurted out the back and top of the engine when he removed the cover.

He then said it might be the rocker cover gasket, and the misfiring is due to oil covering the bottom of a plug etc?

Does that sound plausible and is it a big job to get sorted? The car is a 2011 year but only done 53,000 miles. We've had it 6 months but it seems to have been very well looked after.

Thanks,
Mal

Associate
If it is the rocker cover gasket it is not a massive job. I am surprised that there will be oil spurting out though as in my experience it tends to weep rather than spurt when it is a rocker cover. You will notice oil on the block itself just below the cover. I would inspect the plugs to see if there is oil on them.

Man of Honour
OP
Massive bad news on this one.

It's been in the garage for 3 days and Thursday they called to tell me something is not good as the mechanic has found oil leaking into the engine, and also lots of oil around the back of the engine. They were asking my permission for some extra labour to strip it back a bit more. They then called on Friday morning with more bad news that to investigate further, they need to get to the block. They uncovered bloken clips, stray cable looms and also cable etc showing it's had previous work carried out badly.

I went down there this morning and they've found a broken cylinder and also incorrect bolts inside the engine showing further signs of bad repairs.

ZLi80Vq.jpg

bjTl594.jpg

Not good times!

Associate
like to see if bore damage, other than that depending on age of vehicle maybe a swap out replacement engine with good secondhand unit.

in the old days i would have pulled it apart and reconditioned it but nowadays there are loads of secondhand units available you just have to sort out the best units.

we have a ageing fr-v with the 2.2 diesel engine as our second vehicle , it threw its timing chain whilst the wife was doing a grand kid run , i stripped it out but worked out way cheaper to put a used unit from favourite auction site in .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom