Ford Service or Independent Service

smr

smr

Soldato
Hi,

I've got a Ford Focus mk3 with around 40k on the clock and it's due a service.

Would I be better off using Ford or just taking it to the garage in my village, would Ford do a better job or does it not really make a difference?

Soldato
Hi,

Would I be better off using Ford or just taking it to the garage in my village, would Ford do a better job or does it not really make a difference?
Oil and filter will Be the same at and independent.

Cheaper too.

Caporegime
Depends on the pricing, get some quotes and see who’s cheaper, also some buyers in future would prefer a full dealer history although on a Focus I doubt it’s that big a deal although I bought my own Focus because it had a full Ford history over one that didn’t....

I got a local Ford dealer to change the steering rack on my old Volvo V70 having asked for a quote whilst dropping off my then partner’s car for a service, they were the cheapest - surprisingly - by a long way!

Caporegime
Don't be afraid to haggle down the Ford dealer either. Tell them your indy price and see if they can match it or get close. You might be surprised.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Ok thanks. I'll ring both. The independent is a customer of mine and I've been a customer of his and I know him so it would be easier, just didn't know if Ford would use better parts or something if they're needed.

I've got the oil already.

Soldato
just didn't know if Ford would use better parts or something if they're needed.

Ford will use Ford parts, an Indy likely won't unless you ask them to. A lot of the time you can get the OEM part, just without a Ford badge for a lot less, it's always worthwhile doing this.

Ford charged £60 for a boost control valve on my last car, the exact same part without a Ford box was £23...

Soldato
When I had a focus I think I had some service plan thing that meant I paid £16 a month (if I remember rightly - it was 4 years ago) and that covered the required services each year.
Hehe, my partner is paying about the same amount for her fiesta, yet I paid £9.56 a month over 36 months for three services for my A4 2.0ltfsi. Plus I had the mot and brake fluid service for free...

Soldato
Servicing can be a nightmare.

The most immediate thing to weigh up
- Will the main dealer and / or indy be following the service schedule? i.e. at certain intervals you need more things inspecting/checking/changing and is that what you want
- Will the indy use genuine or at least high quality parts.

A lot of indy's around me just have 1 price servicing which only covers a basic service items (not the correct schedule) and they use poor quality parts and often aren't that much cheaper than the main dealer if you compare apples to apples.

The better indy's ask the mileage and give you a quote for a scheduled service and will use oem parts..

But if it's a much older car, then really I doubt anyone would be that bothered and basic service items are fine with the big things like cambelts/chains or other longer interval items done as/when needed as a separate exercise.

Soldato
Ford's also do a Ford motorcarft service, but I don't think that includes the AA cover, and it's only a minor service.

It's for cars over a certain age, so I'm unsure if OPs car would meet the criteria?

Associate
Hi,

You’d be surprised. Indi all the way but find a good one and state you want oe parts. Oe parts are from the same company that supply’s ford but these don’t have ford all over the box and are cheaper. If you don’t state this you’ll get the cheapest parts available.

You could always service yourself it’s not hard, just don’t pour used oil down the drain

Soldato
I take mine to Ford as it's not that expensive when you factor in the breakdown cover, can't be arsed to try and find a decent indy who doesn't 'advise' of lots that requires doing

Associate
The Ford motorcarft service is well priced.
I take my mk2 Focus to my local Ford garage every year for its service and MOT. It is about the same price as an independent plus you get a years breakdown cover and ford parts. No brainer really.

Back
Top Bottom