Foreign Currency

Man of Honour
What's the best way to do this? Open a Metro bank account and withdraw cash? What other options do I have to get the best deal?

I know Fox knows much about this but he posts so much I can't find his words of wisdom :(

Don
and odd one but amongst the poker community (message boards etc) £ and Euro are traded all the time (both ways) at spot rates, probably a bit scary for an outsider but I have never heard of anyone being ripped off

I bought some Euro recently at 1c better than spot with free RMSD thrown in

Man of Honour
For cash yes, the best way is Metrobank.

Next best is a Halifax Clarity credit card which has zero fees and zero loading but does charge interest from day of withdrawal on cash. Pay it off monthly and this is a negligible amount.

Ignore FairFX cards etc, they just give you an inferior rate.

Man of Honour
OP
[TW]Fox;24527750 said:
For cash yes, the best way is Metrobank.

Next best is a Halifax Clarity credit card which has zero fees and zero loading but does charge interest from day of withdrawal on cash. Pay it off monthly and this is a negligible amount.

Ignore FairFX cards etc, they just give you an inferior rate.

For metro bank is it just a normal current account?

Soldato
What currency?

I ask as in the things purchased thread you had some plane tickets to Japan and there can be limitations on using foreign cards there which mean that relying on just having a card may not be the best idea.

Soldato
What currency?

I ask as in the things purchased thread you had some plane tickets to Japan and there can be limitations on using foreign cards there which mean that relying on just having a card may not be the best idea.

I remember some ATMs in Japan not accepting foreign cards but overall I don't remember having any major issues there.

Soldato
I remember some ATMs in Japan not accepting foreign cards but overall I don't remember having any major issues there.

A lot of Bank ATMs don't tend to accept foreign cards in my experience ... Post Office ATMs tend to work though ... but access isn't 24x7 to those. Quite a few shops, particularly smaller ones, don't necessary accept cards at all. It's not a problem if you are aware and plan accordingly.

My Natwest VISA debit worked fine in Post Office ATMs but I know several who got into embarrassing situations when they tried to use UK debit cards (modern VISA or Mastercard ones) which weren't accepted where they tried to use them.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Normal current account. Only catch is you must open in branch.

Not a problem a I will be in London for one thing or another soon.

What currency?

Indeed, JPY spending cash.

I never had issues when I was there last year. It'll probably be only for a few transactions anyway.

Back
Top Bottom