Foreign Food Horrors

Associate
Had some beef goulash when I was in budapest one afternoon. Really pokey little place well off the main tourist area. It arrived and it tasted amazing. Until I go to the chunks of beef. Hunks of gristle with huge veins, tubes, arteries etc all over. Some were wide enough to poke the straw from my coke through. Bleugh. :eek:

Associate
Chicken feet - part of a meal at a very swanky restaurant in Shenzhen (China) on a work trip. The fish course also had what looked like giant sea woodlice. Thankfully it was all served buffet-style so I could pick some more palatable options

Soldato
Had some beef goulash when I was in budapest one afternoon. Really pokey little place well off the main tourist area. It arrived and it tasted amazing. Until I go to the chunks of beef. Hunks of gristle with huge veins, tubes, arteries etc all over. Some were wide enough to poke the straw from my coke through. Bleugh. :eek:

Ditto in the same city, wanted something local so googled for a place that did local dishes, ended up with goulash ...never again.
Although it was my GFs bday and we got some free cake that was unfortunately equally as horrendous.

Associate
Hong Kong offered a couple of notables:

• Went for a group meal and the table ordered chicken. The whole chicken came out, head, feet and all. Picking through arteries to get to the meat wasn't quite what we had anticipated.
  • Last course of a 6-7 course tasting menu, a bowl of a grass-green coloured soup was brought out. On further inspection, it had an eyeball floating in the murk at the bottom of the bowl. An eyeball from what, I did not care to find out. That one was double danger as the restaurant was situated on the top floor of the tallest building in Hong Kong, and the glass-encased lift was located on the outside of the building. Did nothing for my aversion to heights!!

Caporegime
Kazakhstan, local girl took us to a traditional Turkmenistan restaurant, amongst other things i.e. sheep brain and an eyeball, we had some amazing bread that was fried in what I think was Camel fat.

Later that night I was quite ill, next day local girl didn't turn up for work, turns out some of the food was bad and she ended up in hospital on a drip.

Pleased I ended up mostly eating a kebab, wouldn't of fancied visiting the local hospital.

Soldato
Only thing I have ever eaten where I just could not continue was in Rome, workers restaurant in the suburbs. Olives and dips fine, two huge plates of fresh pasta, fine. Main was tripe served two ways. Man I just could not stomach it. Chewy, tasteless, horrible, even with the nice tomato sauce. Very nice massive slab of tiramisu to end and then they just left a huge carafe of home made grappa on the table, which I drunk most of. Walked out quite drunk.

10 euros about 15 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom