Forget 34UM95, here's 34UC97! (CURVED 34")

Soldato
That MaxTo program looks ideal!

Yeah, works really well - quite impressed!

Some applications don't appear to like it (Spotify is one of them) so I think "passive mode" where you hold shift to activate it while dragging around windows is the way to go.

That means it's not going to be in your way until you want to start using its features.

Man of Honour
Review is up!

http://petapixel.com/2014/11/05/review-34-inch-3440x1440-monitor-great-happens-curve/

It is by no means in depth and technical, for that I'd recommend more expert reports via tftcentral or pcmonitors.info :) The marketing bods at LG liked the 34UM95 review I did as a day to day user posting that experience so I've tried to keep this one the same and single follow up on the original review.

Because it's a guest post I don't have any news reporter access to modify it like I do on Neowin so I'm fully expecting to find errors when I read it again for the umpteenth time in the morning :o

Soldato
Yeah, that was my problem though. With WINKEY+Arrows I can only snap two things because it just acts as one big display.

With 2 monitors I can snap 4.

This is why I think if you used the "side by side" mode you'd have a better desktop for doing work, but it means changing the config for playing games easily.

This looks like it might be a good addition for people using 21:9 monitors though: http://www.nextofwindows.com/snap-windowto-to-grid-with-gridy/.

Trying it at the moment (on my regular monitor) and while it's note quite as intuitive as quickly using WINKEY+Arrows it does what it says on the tin.

EDIT: This look like the business! http://maxto.net/

windows 10 has quad snap, works very well :)

Man of Honour
From LG Korea direct! Customs declaration stated "Gift sample of no commercial value", glad it arrived in one piece :eek:

Thank you so much Mrk, ive been looking constantly what new info is released on the 34uc97 and 34uc87 and this helps a lot

No problem! It really looks and feels much better on an arm, I would definitely advise anyone getting the curved to get the free VESA bracket and attach an arm :cool:

Soldato
It really looks and feels much better on an arm, I would definitely advise anyone getting the curved to get the free VESA bracket and attach an arm :cool:

Absolutely no chance in hell, If I ever managed to save up eough to get one of these then there's no way I'm trusting a grands worth of monitor to my hamfisted attempts at DIY.

Man of Honour
It's a soft matte screen^

As for GFX card, a 4GB card of medium to high end performance will be enough to play games on high on this. I had a 780 vanilla 3GB before but upgraded to a 4GB 290X which saw benefit in some games with a lot of VRAM usage.

Associate
I'm really tempted by one of these and have been reading posts from the sidelines.

I currently have a Samsung 24" TN 60hz panel and am struggling to decide between this and the Swift (60hz IPS vs 144hz TN). Main use of my PC is games and will upgrade to 2x970s regardless but not sure how to choose between them!

Really torn so any advice appreciated!

Associate
So I've got the LG calibrator..obviously no hardware LUT....trying to find some software for it...and advice? (true colour finder doesn't work...)

Man of Honour
That will only work with the LG software mate and only on monitors with an LUT.

I'm really tempted by one of these and have been reading posts from the sidelines.

I currently have a Samsung 24" TN 60hz panel and am struggling to decide between this and the Swift (60hz IPS vs 144hz TN). Main use of my PC is games and will upgrade to 2x970s regardless but not sure how to choose between them!

Really torn so any advice appreciated!

If it's only for games then you'll be sat head on in front of the screen all the time and you won't be concerned about having the most accurate colours either so you may well prefer the 144Hz the other display offers for this purpose alone.

If you can see one in store and see what you make of it :)

Associate
I think it has already been mentioned earlier in this thread that this monitor does support DP 1.2 but would it support MST so I could daisy chain it with another 2 displays for a eyefinity setup? (im not too sure on the max bandwidth for MST).

*Edit*

Looking at the Club3D external MST hub, support is limited to the following: (Supported output resolution:up to 2560X1600@60Hz each monitor in DP1.2 MST and up to FHD/1080p in DP1.1 or DP 1.2 SST ) so maybe 2560x1600 is the limit per display with MST.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine arrived today! Hopefully be able to see what resolutions I can get up to on 7970m crossfire Laptop display port 1.2 & a mac mini thunderbolt 1, subject to digging out the right cables. My docs also say max res 2560 x 1600 output but i don't see why it wont do it.

Associate
Set mine up. Had a very quick go. 3440 x 1440 60hz working fine on a dp 1.2 port with gfx card that claims max res is 2560 x 1600!

Need to have a play in the menus & set it up properly.

Associate
Hey guys. Somewhat wary to step in here as a new forum member with all you very experienced monitor gurus, but anyway,hi! And for what its worth, here are my thoughts:

Got my 34UC97 on Weds, but it took til now to get authorized for this forum ;). I'm really very pleased. A bit of bleed top left and right, but you only notice it if you are looking. Not bad at all. Nothing on the bottom.Response times/lag when gaming are great as far as I can see. I was a bit concerned I would notice some issues, but not at all.

The curve is great. Personally I think curved TVs are nonsense at <70", maybe less than 100" - more downside than up, unless you always watch TV on your own! But for a PC monitor it really comes into its own. I am not using this for "professional" photo editing, if I did I might feel different, but right now, for me, I suspect if there was any issue it would just take a short while to adapt. We are used to the distortions sitting so close to a flat monitor and we compensate without knowing it. In a short time we will adapt to this shape, that is quite possibly less distorting once we are used to it.

This seems the sweet spot resolution wise, especially if you intend to use for a fair bit of gaming. Gaming aside, as others have said, 4K still has scaling issues in Windows; Hopefully Windows 10 will fix that. I guess some can live with that if you are doing professional high res work, but for most it's a problem. When it comes to gaming, 4K/UHD is just too taxing at the moment with any single card and probably will be for another 2 years. With an EVGA GTX780 SC the 34UC97 is pretty fine with most current generation games (980 would be even better). It will be totally sorted once the 20/16nm GPUs come out next Spring.

What's more if I was going "UHD", 4K is not really high enough res for a screen of this width. When I go UHD I want retinal and for that I really need 5K which means nearly 3 times the pixels of this beast!! And if you wanted 120Hz that would be 5.5 times the pixels per second. That is some years off being comfortable for any card. So I expect to hang onto this for a good few years until some 10nm GPU allows me to have the perfect, butter smooth, ultimate resolution, "last monitor I will ever need"! And by then it may be OLED too :)

A couple of questions for everyone:

1. What do you think DP 1.2 mode actually does? Mine seems very happy doing 60Hz 3440x1440 without that enabled and if I do enable it I get weird horizontal noise lines on the screen, like static, when the PC comes out of sleep. I have to turn the monitor on and off to get rid of them. It is possibly an Nvidia driver issue, but right now I cannot see the point of enabling DP1.2, as all seems perfect with it off.

2. I saw the discussion on screen splitting. Has no one tried the supplied LG "Screen Split" tool. Its probably a little less fancy than some of the chargeable ones but it seems to be good enough for my needs - You can choose between 2-way, 3-way and 4-way split and you can resize the splits to suit, so a 4-way split, for example, could have equal sizes, or you could move the horizontal and vertical split lines up or down to give you 1 or 2 much larger "windows" and 2 or 3 much smaller ones. Apps dragged over one of the split areas automatically "snap" to fill them. Seems to work well.

Back
Top Bottom