Formatting Laptop oem windows 8.1 upgraded to 10

Associate
My daughters laptop runs slow plus its just full of HP bloatware i want to get rid of that for her so i thought why not start fresh the thing is how do you do it when you don't have a disc, the laptop was running 8.1 then i did the free windows 10 upgrade.

Just download the Windows 10 media creation tool, run it and download the setup files to a USB, then boot from usb and reinstall, selecting "No product Key" and the version (Pro or Home) to match the one you had before. Once finished it should activate itself.

Associate
nope, puts it back to pure windows, you're thinking of factory restore
just done it on a Toshiba lappy (was W8->W10), W10 basically restored itself to fresh W10 installation with associated first use setup, not a sign of any Tosh nonsense
you'll may still need to install any extra drivers if they haven't been detected correctly
and run the updates

edit: I then cloned mine to a ssd , power on to login 10 seconds or less

Associate
OP
Sounds Great:), I shall give that a go so its basically wiping everything, My daughter has had the laptop for 3 or 4 years but hardly uses it she uses her ipad and iphone, And just uses the laptop to store her pictures when her ipad or iphone gets full up.

Did you choose to keep files or remove everything ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom