Formula 2 driver Anthoine Hubert killed in Belgium crash

Soldato
Looked bad. It must have been the other car hitting him which did it. The car is hit side on a full pelt and just disintegrates. The other guy is lucky he isn't also dead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just seen this on Reddit.

So sad. :(

Looked bad. It must have been the other car hitting him which did it. The car is hit side on a full pelt and just disintegrates. The other guy is lucky he isn't also dead.

Yep, his car basically gets cut in half. :(

Last edited:
Soldato

I would imagine so, remember Kevin Magnussen’s shunt into those barriers a couple of years ago? He walked away from it, he would have been fine until that car hit him. A side impact at that speed is never going to end well, unfortunately.

Caporegime
I've not seen the incident but how do you legislate for such a freak accident? it can happen any time you have two cars travelling at high speed on the same track. It's the risk drivers take but I'm sure there'll be some knee jerk reaction to show how the FIA are going to make everything safer. I wouldn't be surprised if they blame the hill and call for all tracks to be flat. That hideous driver cage didn't help him either did it.

My thoughts are with his family but people must accept that racing at 150-200mph is an inherently dangerously thing to do, it can never be 100% safe no matter how many increasingly stupid safety measures are brought in. The safer drivers feel the more at risk they are it's why in the past drivers showed one another respect, gave each other room and didn't use their cars as weapons.

Caporegime
Ok I Youtube'd it and although the race director seemed to miss it there's some trackside footage and it appears that he lost control, hit the barrier and then got hit side on by another car that was flat out on the "run off" area. I hate to say I told you so but in my opinion if there had been a gravel trap there the car behind wouldn't have been driving flat out so close to his car. The car who hit him was literally driving full speed outside of the confines of the track but drivers will do that when you turn every circuit into a glorified car park.

Man of Honour
Ok I Youtube'd it and although the race director seemed to miss it there's some trackside footage and it appears that he lost control, hit the barrier and then got hit side on by another car that was flat out on the "run off" area. I hate to say I told you so but in my opinion if there had been a gravel trap there the car behind wouldn't have been driving flat out so close to his car. The car who hit him was literally driving full speed outside of the confines of the track but drivers will do that when you turn every circuit into a glorified car park.

Im sure that bit used to be a gravel trap before but got changed because there were a couple of awful looking accidents in F1, Villeneuve in a BAR springs to mind

Caporegime
Gravel causes cars to flip, he'd be less likely to come back from the barriers by a lot, but more likely to end up down a ravine on the other side and smashed into the trees. Though in this day an age extending the 'land' there by building a platform to make a better area for cars to be 'caught' by the run off rather than bounced back seems like the sensible way forward from a safety stand point. The barriers need to both be a bit further back and really make them deeper and a bit softer such that they absorb more energy and 'trap' a car rather than expend the energy then spring back.

Associate

Correa may have been driving outside the confines because of the slow car on the opposite side of the track. Without seeing the full event, there is a car minus a rear wing drifting towards the middle of the track as Hubert hits the wall. I assume Hubert must have gotten tangled up with this driver, causing his accident into the barrier, and at that point Correa is in avoidance mode to shift away from the obstacle infront of him.

Caporegime
Is there any word on the other driver?

Answering my own question:

Today, American Juan Manuel Correa was involved in a scary incident at the Belgium Grand Prix at the Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium. A victim of an accident that happened in front of him, Correa had no place to go and made contact with a fellow competitor’s stopped FIA Formula 2 car. Suffering fractures to both of his legs and a minor spinal injury, Correa underwent surgery and is resting in Intensive Care.

At the current moment, Juan Manuel Correa’s condition is stable. He was taken by helicopter to a hospital where he underwent surgery. Juan Manuel remained conscious the entire time until his admission to the operating room.​

from his website. I hope he can make a full recovery, that sounds really bad.

Man of Honour
Tribute from the F3 teams before the race today.

w62w7yhr6yj31.jpg

Caporegime
Correa may have been driving outside the confines because of the slow car on the opposite side of the track. Without seeing the full event, there is a car minus a rear wing drifting towards the middle of the track as Hubert hits the wall. I assume Hubert must have gotten tangled up with this driver, causing his accident into the barrier, and at that point Correa is in avoidance mode to shift away from the obstacle infront of him.

He likely was but point being if there is no run off there for the car behind to use as an extension of the race track the driver brakes instead of trying to exploit the runoff to make up a few places by keeping his foot down and that also gives Hubert's car 10-20yrds cushion come to a rest. Like I said racing at high speeds is inherently dangerous it's the risk drivers take what gets me is the amount of stupid safety measures being brought in which ultimately only really give drivers a false sense of security. Freak accidents will happen whether you're driving at 150-200mph or just walking down the street.

Associate
A very sad time for motorsport, the car broke apart as it should have done (whole rear end ripped off with engine as the whole unit is bolted to the tub to try and reduce the energy from an impact) but a slab side on impact from another car at 160mph while he's sitting stationary is going to be fatal no mater what. I'm amazed Correa wasn't more seriously injured. In the video of the TV stream you can see Correa's feet out the front of the nose. Similar thing happened to Billy Monger and he lost both his legs going head on into the back of a stationary car.

Soldato
I've not seen the video, I don't want to watch it, did his car hit the barriers at the top of eau rouge then bounce back on the circuit? If so then similar happened in the Spa 24 last year, with both drivers getting serious injuries. It wouldn't surprised me to see changes to that part of the track for next year.

Back
Top Bottom