Forza Horizon 5 - Mexico

Ree

Ree

Associate
What's the deal with some races you literally cannot catch up at all it happens every week where just one race they motor away.

Soldato
What's the deal with some races you literally cannot catch up at all it happens every week where just one race they motor away.

Depends on the race, regular 'free roam' races you set the difficulty to say average or above average (it's how skillfull the drivatars are) but some of the weekly challenges are against 'highly skilled' or 'unbeatable' drivatars, and you can't change that.

With unbeatable, your car has to be very suited and set up perfectly (you cant just sling some random upgrades on to bring the car to the the top of its catagory and hope for the best) AND you have to drive pretty much flawlessly to stand a chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got it first go with an M5. Get your speed up way before you get to the jump so the water doesn't slow you too much.

Thanks, I managed to do it in the M4 with some tinkering to the tune. Bizarely its a really good car now, and I only set it up specifically for that particualr challenge :)

Soldato
So much wanted to enjoy this game as it's got such good reviews but I just can't wrap my head around the way the cars handle.

They all seem to handle the same & have way, way too much grip, almost like they are on rails, it's basically impossible to lose control unless you either get rammed or are totally ham fisted. Some games, even Gran Turismo you can sort of feel the weight of the car moving around (I use a wheel), in this, it's like they don't have any weight or the physics have been switched off.

If I mash the brake pedal at 120MPH mid bend i'd expect the back end to step out but nothing really happens.

I've turned all the assists off even ABS for example but it's like the toggles don't work as still can't lock the brakes up.

Last edited:
Soldato
What difficulty level are you playing at?

I've left the drivatar difficulty as it comes & it's prompted me to change it a couple of times.

As for the settings relating to car control i've turned every assist off or set to simulation & i'm driving with a gated shifter with clutch (aside from where the car in real life would be auto or paddle shift then I change the setting to match), the drivatar difficulty isn't the problem other than the fact it seems to cheat. It's the cars, they all handle like they are on rails and don't weigh anything.

I have started to enjoy it a little now though so it's growing on me.

I will admit I have no idea what i'm doing from a gameplay point of view, I keep getting stuff pop up & menus appearing but it feels like there's no real explanation of what the **** is going on.

Last edited:
Soldato
It does lean a little more towards arcade rather than sim.
But my god that vintage Bentley from last seasons challenges definitely does not handle like its on rails once it's upgraded :)

The menus are super confusing to start with, and there's no real guidance.
I found myself having to Google a few times when a bit lost.
And some of the challenges are really badly worded and it takes a minute to figure out for example if your supposed to be doing the challenge on a road circuit or A to B sprint race.

Another issue is it makes supercars very accessible, which I suppose is a good in a sense that you don't have to really grind too much, but I'd have liked to see a licence system so you can only drive catagory D cars to start with and work your way up.

I do enjoy it though, mostly play horizon tour now and the seasonal challenges as I've done all the regular races..

I suspect if you play co-op and or in convoys that adds an extra element of fun but I've not really done much of that side of it yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just can't figure out the appeal of this game.

Installed it with Gamepass, so it hasn't really cost anything, but boy I'd be disappointed if I'd put down the full asking price.

I just find the whole thing incredibly tedious & inane, and the Mexican setting does absolutely nothing for me, I look at all the cars you need to find the credits for to purchase and fill your garage with, and think, nope, not wasting my life on that.

I thought maybe the fact that it was 'free' would convince me, but after 6hrs, I value the 100GB of space on my SSD more than I do wanting to slog my way through this....uninstalled with no regrets.

Soldato
I'm enjoying the game. I play on highly skilled and win every race which gives me a boost in earnings.

Problem I'm having is that I'm about 4 hours in and I only have 1.4 million in the bank without spending anything.

What's the deal with that and how can I earn more money? Each race only seems to pay out around 10k for a win

Soldato
I'm enjoying the game. I play on highly skilled and win every race which gives me a boost in earnings.

Problem I'm having is that I'm about 4 hours in and I only have 1.4 million in the bank without spending anything.

What's the deal with that and how can I earn more money? Each race only seems to pay out around 10k for a win

I just do the weekly festival playlist, few wheelspins and rank up quick so even more wheelspins and tend to win cars or credits.

Think I've bought 3 cars to do certain challenges but own over 120 and got nearly 10million credits

Associate
N9-Lk-ANtbnwwgt-Bm-C3l-Lq6m-De-CTHONfqn5-JAZFwz-VLQPXAxv-VT9-GU9g-Yoz19-UXYK8-WAy4va-BTSctu3-As500-c.png

Soldato
Yeh I've not really felt the need to buy cars.. If you do all the regular races on the map that generates enough dosh to buy most of the houses in due course, plus the odd car you fancy.

Buying cars for specific challenges can eat away at your CR rapidly.. But still I find myself with between 1 an 5 million pretty much all the time as long as you don't go on a spending spreee

Soldato
My problem with it is the menu system, it's so awful, I just want to get into a car and drive and have a few races, I don't care about unlocking this and that or progression. It's not deep, it's not a sim, it's just a pick ond play car game, or it should be, but everything is too much faff. I just want to switch off and have some fun, why does every game have to be smothered with layers of uneccesary bu******?

Soldato
I currently want a Ford gt40 'just because' apparently you have to own all the Ford cars to get that, so that's expensive and more a long term plan

Soldato
I am getting a bit bored now. 4 kept me interested on and off until 5 released but there's something missing with this one. I'm not sure what it is though, maybe it's just too much more of the same?

There are more graphics glitches than anything else I've played recently too. Occasional missing textures/muti-coloured grass/broken water effects/pixellated smoke really irritate and break the immersion. No issues in any other game so I'm pretty sure it's not my rig.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Think the only thing that really grinds my gears with this game is the luck of the bounce in offroad racing/trailblazers. You get to the end of a race etc and get screwed over with a wayward bounce/landing. Its helluva annoying to have your time wasted like that.

Soldato
This version is the buggiest version I have played. For me it’s a single player game as the online stuff does not work, sometimes I see other players, but they just disappear at random. Also, the game takes a long time to load as it optimizes every time it loads:(

Soldato
This version is the buggiest version I have played. For me it’s a single player game as the online stuff does not work, sometimes I see other players, but they just disappear at random. Also, the game takes a long time to load as it optimizes every time it loads:(
Well, that's not normal.

I found the advanced install features in the xbox insider build have improved stability a lot. I had a hunch the virtual filesystem MS were using was causing a bottleneck as i was seeing some crazy high cpu usage by the filesystem when the game was loading assets and i believed that was a big contributor to the low streaming bandwidth issues i was having. The advanced install features does away with that filesystem and installs the game in a regular folder and i've had next to no issues now and filesystem cpu usage is gone. That's not a coincidence.

So yeah, if anyone else is having low stream bandwidth issues, right click the game in the xbox >> manage >> enable advanced install. It might help.

sidenote: this also fixes me having to allow the game through the firewall every other launch as it no longer mounts the game in some new pretend folder that the firewall doesnt recognise. It also means soundmixer now remembers my app volume settings for the game.

Back
Top Bottom