Found some headphones I want, but not sure if it's what I need

Soldato
Hey guys,

So I've looking at headphones recently for my PS4 pro, switch, and also a gaming laptop I'm going to be buying soon.

So the headphones are the Razer Kraken Tournament edition 7.1 with THX spatial, fit wise amazing, best I've ever tried, price at £99.99 isn't a problem either and they sounded fantastic.

Only concern is the laptop I will be buying uses Dolby Atmos, might sound a little stupid but is this something that makes the headphones bad for the laptop? Or fantastic all rounder and will work spot on with the Dolby Atmos

These are the headphones in question
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raze...oller-green-rz04-02051100-r3m1-sp-04u-ra.html

Thanks all

Soldato
You'll need headphones with standard 3.5mm/6.35mm wired analogue connection to make use of Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

Looks like the headset in question, the USB can be unplugged and standard analogue connection can be used.

Does the headset's USB part work with PS4 though? I only see pictures of PC connection.

You could probably remove the USB part if it doesn't and connect straight to the controller. If you're going to do that though, then you might as well just buy a standard wired headset and a better one at that.

You won't get any kind of surround sound effect if connecting a headset to the PS4 controller though; you'd need either a USB headset that is intended for PS4, or make use of the PS4 optical out.

Soldato
OP
I see, I would like surround sound that will work with all my devices.

The comfort of the razer was outstanding, didn't want to take them off.

I was looking at the playstation platinum headset, but they are a little more expensive, probably not as comfy and only work well with the playstation.

Soldato
I don't think it's possible to get surround sound when using headphones with Nintendo Switch. One of those things that is not one of Nintendo's priority I guess.

Only with headphones that are using optical in some way, can you get surround sound to work with PC, Playstation and Xbox; whether it be some overpriced fancy headset with optical input base station, or using something like an Astro Mixamp or Creative G6, then whatever choice of headphones or headset connected to either of those.

When it comes to USB; for years most USB headsets that worked with PC, didn't work with consoles. Now there are USB headsets now that work with both PC and PS4, but not with Xbox and with the Nintendo Switch.

Just had another look at the Razer Kraken Tournament Edition. USB will work with PS4, but only as stereo.

I can see Razer Thresher 7.1 is advertised as being PS4 and PC compatible.

Edit: Thresher 7.1 doesn't seem to use THX like the Kraken TE does. Thresher 7.1 uses Dolby Headphone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the THX spatial better than the Atmos? Any pros and cons to either sound amplifiers?

Missed this question before.

Hard to say. First time I've seen this THX Spatial Audio. There's quite a lot of them now from Dolby, Creative, DTS, Sennheiser and now THX. Wouldn't be surprised if there are more besides those.

There are some videos on Youtube which compare various ones against each other. Whether there are any that compare with THX, I don't know. Couldn't see anything after a quick glance.

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll need headphones with standard 3.5mm/6.35mm wired analogue connection to make use of Dolby Atmos for Headphones.
Dolby Atmos for Headphones works in Windows audio stack level before actual audio device.
So it should be appliable to any output device.

There are some videos on Youtube which compare various ones against each other. Whether there are any that compare with THX, I don't know. Couldn't see anything after a quick glance.
I've given up hope of finding any direct comparison qualifying material from for example same game.
Even if they used same source like specific movie, I don't think "tech demo" clips are good for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom