• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fps monitoring programs

Soldato
Hello folks, so in the past I would use Fraps to monitor FPS.
But Ive noticed many youtubers would use other software to overlay such fps monitors (and also things like CPU/GPU temps, usage etc.

May I ask what you are all using?

Thanks!

Soldato
During Afterburner install it should ask if you want Rivatuner as well, and the answer is yes. That part is needed for the overlay. Also handy when you need to set an FPS limit per application.

Soldato
Cheers folks, much appreciated.

Danny - why would I want to limit the FPS in applications may I ask?
Lets say if I have Gsync wouldnt it do it for me?

Only mentioned it if you need to mess about with it for some reason. I don't have Gsync but I hear that in some games Gsync/Freesync works better if you limit the max FPS to the max refresh rate of the monitor, or 1/2 FPS less.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...5hz_what_fps_should_i_cap_my_fps_at_so_gsync/

This will avoid the need to also enable Vsync. Someone did a good video about the input lag with all sorts of combinations: Gsync only, Gsync + Vsync, Gsync + FPS cap etc. He found the latter to be the best. Can't remember the name of the vid or the guy but he's a good monitor reviewer on Youtube. Scandinavian I believe.

Soldato
Seems I had the Scandinavians confused. I found the channel I was thinking of - Lims Cave. He's the monitor reviewer. But the video I was thinking of wasn't in his list, it was actually someone else:

And to slightly correct something I said earlier - Gsync + FPS cap (with RivaTuner) is best when there is no in-game FPS limiter. Better than Vsync or Nvidia Inspector, as his video demonstrates.

Back
Top Bottom