Fractal Define 7 Compact - Motherboard stand off question!

Associate
I haven't build a gaming rig for quite a few years now. Just upgrading my rig and got a new case, mobo, I5 and ram - transferring my existing drives, psu, gfx etc.

Question being, I have fitted the new Motherboard (MSI z490 A-Pro) in the case but have found that the 'central' stand off mount is a 'post' that sticks through the motherboard mounting hole. All other 8 mounting points are secured with normal screws but wondering if this is correct? or should I be removing the motherboard and swapping out the 'post' for a spare stand off that is in the case accessory box?

VHm1rVt

Soldato
If you can swap it out for a traditional stand off and everything lines up in terms of the screw, then that would be what I would personally do. I have built in cases where there is sometimes a cone shaped 'standoff' that comes through the motherboard but I think that is there to ensure that you have centralised / properly aligned the motherboard before you start popping screws into the other standoff locations. I don't recall ever having one that could be swapped out as they tended to be built into the metal behind the motherboard (as part of the case) but I admittedly haven't built ATX in a while.

Your picture isn't showing up but I assume it's the hole location immediately to the right of the m.2 heatshield on that board?

Associate
OP
Managed to fix the link above! - yes, it's the 'middle' cone shaped stand off that comes through the mb. It has located ok but still wondering if it is one that can/should be swapped out for a standard stand off...

Anyone with a Fractal Define 7 compact come across this?

Associate
OP
Ok, so removed the motherboard and Can now see the 'locator pin' more clearly, as per below.

Doesn't look like it will come out though with a normal stand off removal tool...

1608145374363.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Thats just there to hold your motherboard in place as you screw it in. No need to replace it with anything else - just install your motherboard.

Soldato
As above, but you certainly could remove it and replace with a regular standoff (presumably the threading is the same) if you felt the board needed to be secured more in that spot. Pair of pliers would do the trick, but it shouldn't be necessary to change it.

As long as there's a hole for it to route through, i'd leave it be.

Associate
Ok, thanks for that chaps, I'll aim to plow on with the build this weekend ;)
Good luck, with an ATX motherboard that case really is Compact, try pluggin in all the cables along the bottom of the motherboard first where you can as plugging in afterwards is a PITA. A tight fit and I hope you have a small ATX PSU (sizewise) as there isn't much room between PSU and HDD cage.

Back
Top Bottom