Fractal R3 2x extra fans placement

Associate
Hi all

I'm putting together a new gaming PC for my son in a Fractal Design R3 case.

I might do a mild overclock on it, I've got the following:-

Freezer 7 Pro v2
i5 3570k cpu
16gb kit of Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 ram
XFX HD7870 gpu
256gb Samsung 830 SSD
Asrock Extreme4 Z77

As I've never done any gaming myself, I was wondering where would be the best location for the extra 2x 120mm fans I've got, to get the best airflow! Was going to put one on the side but do I have it blowing IN onto the gpu, or extracting the warm air from around it? Also, I was going to put the other on the front to go with the supplied one, but would I be better off siting it on the bottom/top of the case?

Thx for any advice....

Soldato
Probably bottom and side intake with PCI slot covers off and back top vent open so air can flow out easily let out what back exhaust fan doesn't get.

I say experiment with side fan both ways to see which way GPU is cooler. I like to raise case up on caster base for better airflow to bottom intake and PSU.. and casters also make easier to move case round. ;)

I modded my R2 so it now has 140mm fans in front. Was quiet before but now HDDs stay cooler at idle. Had to reposition HDD cage in R2, but think R3 has removable top half??

Associate
OP
Hi doyll...sorry about the delay in getting back but I've been busy-a-building :D

Thanks for the advice on the fans placement. At the mo, I've got the PC with sides off trying to asses what's a 'mild' OC for this cpu.

I'm curious as to why just setting the ASRock's 'auto' overclock isn't ok to do!!

I've just had it up to 4.4ghz and ran Prime for about 30mins where the temps got up to about 79*C max....a bit too hot for my liking, as my lad's a typical gamer and can be on his PC for HOURS on end on his days off, so was looking (for longevity of the cpu) to have lower max temps...

A 4ghz OC was only hitting about 68-69*C max

Why not just stick to ASrocks 'auto' overclock???? :confused:

Thx again....

Soldato
I'm not much into overclocking but from what I have been told using the autoclock usually ups the voltage more which means more heat. You can give it a try. Can't hurt as long as you keep an eye on temps.

Overclocking creates heat. If 4.0GHz is 68-69c and Tcase is 67.4c than that's as hot as I would go. You could get a better cooler. 212 is not a great cooler.

When I was Oc'ing my 920 I reached max temp is less than 5 minutes. Still do. Reason is all the heated cooler exhaust is removed from case. CPU produces same heat at 1-2 minutes into stress test as it does 20 minutes is. Cooler reaches radiates as much heat at 4-5 minutes as it does at 20 minutes in. The difference is the temp of cooler intake air. If your room is 22c and cooler intake/case temp is normally 24c but goes up to 28c in 3 minutes, 30c in 5 minute, 32c in 8 minutes, 34c in 12 minutes. etc and finally tops out at 38c after 20-30 minutes of stress testing you can expect to see similar increases in CPU temp. Like 32c idle, 52c in 3min, 55c in 5min, 57c in 8min, 60c in 12min, 64c in 20-30 minutes. But if your cooler intake/case temp is 24c to start and only goes up to 26-28c max than your CPU temp will be 32c idle, 52c in 3min, 55c in 5min and still 55c 20-30 minutes. These temp number don't mean much. They are only to demonstrate how the cooler intake / case temp effects CPU temp.

I would get the airflow and cooler all worked out before getting serious about your overclock, but that's just me. Used to build fast cars.. Always did the brakes and handling before the engine. ;)

What kind of CPU speed does your son need?

PS: Have mine on bench ATM. trust me some pics of your lads and if you want some pics of my fan placement let me know. I think with the R3 you can remove top half of hdd cage too.

Top Bottom