Fracture infomation.

Don
Speaking hypothetically but if one was to fracture his wrist and after 6 weeks the pot was to come off. How would the wrist react to be moved etc, would it hurt still moving? Would you have to 're-train' the muscle to move accordingly?

I'm not looking for medical advice, just people's experiences with fractures so hopefully this thread is ok :)

Associate
It would be stiff and the muscles very weak involving lots of physio and excercise to bring back full strength and range of motion.
Rather than pain it would more be like a dull aching which will go slowly with physio.

Soldato
My wrist was very stiff when it came out of the cast, I had full range of motion but the muscles were very weak. It took a good month til it was completely back to normal.

Associate
I broke my left wrist (hairline fracture) about 7 odd years ago, and the cast was taken off after about 3/4 weeks iirc. It was still a bit tender, not too much pain, but it didn't really feel as "back to normal" until a few weeks after.

Don
OP
I may as well tell you the full story.

Basically 5 weeks ago I fractured my wrist playing football, the doctor said it wasn't as bad as it looked (from the swelling) and that it should take 4 weeks or tops 6 weeks to fix.
I'm due to go on holiday tomorrow to America. Apparentely you're unable to fly with pots on. Due to me having the pot on 5 weeks anyway I went back to the hospital to have the pot removed (they had already told me I could come back before I went on holiday to have it fully removed), they wouldn't remove it fully but split it so I can remove it when I want at my own risk, mainly at the airport tomorrow.

Due to my arm being in the pot for 5 weeks anyway I would have thought the wrist would have healed hence me asking on here for people's own experiences. If I move my wrist in certain angles there's still a sharp pain so I didn't know if this was the healing period or the fracture hasn't mended.

Either way, it's depressing and will ruin my holiday :(

Last edited:
Associate
I feel for you man, but best thing is long as you can put it back in the cast I would say do it, I know you're going to be on holiday and that but its better to be safe than sorry! have a nice holiday and don't let the fracture ruin it!

Soldato
althought not recommended by physicians ;P get yourself a tennis ball and squeeze that whilst its broken. if you do nothing, its a very wierd feeling when they cut the pot off, kind of as if you have been walking around with a half bag of sugar in your hand then its gone but your arm is weaker.

First time i badly broke my wrist, i did nothing, just rested it for nearly 2 months (really bad break) when they took it off it took me nearly another 2 months just on physio and training to get it back to fitness.

Since then my physio got me a tennis ball and said anytime you have a pot on, even a couple of days after if you can bare the pain use it for 5 mins a couple of times a day. It obviously keeps the muscles working so muscular waste is a lot less, but also increases the blood flow which means more oxygen and a better healing process. (Or so the theory goes).

Never done me any harm, and ive broken both wrists, 5x each (i think, thats not including p***y scafoid breaks :p)

Back
Top Bottom